Notices

Want to Drink so What if I Do?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redstuff View Post
On vacation I have time to feel like crap and I don't see any reason not to as I have no other obligations.
This is the part I just don't understand. Why would you go on vacation to feel like crap? I go on vacation to have fun and enjoy, get away from the day to day working grind. I go to Arizona once a year for about a week and I have a great time sober. Family likes beer and wine, both of which I never did like, so it's not a big temptation.

In the end, it's up to you of course.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cottonwoodchris View Post
This is the part I just don't understand. Why would you go on vacation to feel like crap? I go on vacation to have fun and enjoy, get away from the day to day working grind. I go to Arizona once a year for about a week and I have a great time sober. Family likes beer and wine, both of which I never did like, so it's not a big temptation.

In the end, it's up to you of course.
Sorry for that statement I see how it's confusing. I don't go on vacation just to feel like crap. What I was referring to was that if I drank too much and had a hangover I would have time to recover i.e. time to feel like crap.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hope you will read, really read, all of the responses. We have given you our best here, but you will do whatever you will do. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Very important lesson from the BB about starting again...

Though there is no way of proving it, we believe that early in our drinking careers most of us could have stopped drinking. But the difficulty is that few alcoholics have enough desire to stop while there is yet time. We have heard of a few instances where people, who showed definite signs of alcoholism, were able to stop for a long period because of an overpowering desire to do so. Here is one.

A man of thirty was doing a great deal of spree drinking. He was very nervous in the morning after these bouts and quieted himself with more liquor. He was ambitious to succeed in business, but saw that he would get nowhere if he drank at all. Once he started, he had no control whatever. He made up his mind that until he had been successful in business and had retired, he would not touch another drop. An exceptional man, he remained bone dry for twenty-five years and retired at the age of fifty-five, after a successful and happy business career. Then he fell victim to a belief which practically every alcoholic has that his long period of sobriety and self-discipline had qualified him to drink as other men. Out came his carpet slippers and a bottle. In two months he was in a hospital, puzzled and humiliated. He tried to regulate his drinking for a little while, making several trips to the hospital meantime. Then, gathering all his forces, he attempted to stop altogether and found he could not. Every means of solving his problem which money could buy was at his disposal. Every attempt failed. Though a robust man at retirement, he went to pieces quickly and was dead within four years.

This case contains a powerful lesson. most of us have believed that if we remained sober for a long stretch, we could thereafter drink normally. But here is a man who at fifty-five years found he was just where he had left off at thirty. We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking , there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Don't play games with yourself....

Don't do it.Don't let your stinking thinking get in the way.Either be on board or do it all the way.