Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What did your body do to tell you you needed to quit?

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I see a lot of people drinking for 8 years and having enough. i wonder if our bodies just start telling us to quit in certain ways.

My body told me in 2 ways; One was something on my left side of my belly would throb the days after drinking. Wonder what that was?

The other one was my throat began to ache. Not like a sore throat but like the whole pipe.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm.....
For me....it was my brain. The last 5 years I drank
my drinking slid me into alcoholism.
Heck....I had no clue what was happening to me...

My doctor diagnosed me with situational depression.
He suggested AA. Off I went for recovery and found it.

tooling...please see your doctor.
I always suggest seeing a doctor about any
symptoms you might be having.

Be honest about your drinking patterns. but
not everything is caused by alcohol.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree you should see your doctor...but I will add that my body was definitely telling me to STOP!!!! My throat hurt too...pain in the right side and chest pains...the worst was when I started throwing up the day after...I only used to throw up when trashed...when I got sick sober it was the end.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
I see a lot of people drinking for 8 years and having enough. i wonder if our bodies just start telling us to quit in certain ways.

My body told me in 2 ways; One was something on my left side of my belly would throb the days after drinking. Wonder what that was?

The other one was my throat began to ache. Not like a sore throat but like the whole pipe.
My body told me to stop when I kept having anxiety attacks. If you have problems with anxiety and you drink, over time the anxiety gets much worse. And when I say anxiety, I mean absolute horror in my mind!

So glad I don't drink anymore!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

stabbing pain in liver/gall bladder area
not being able to sleep on the right side of my body due to inflamed liver
coughing up bile

alcoholism is so glamorous!!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well although my body was telling me that it needed more alcohol by making me shake and sweat and have a hard time catching my breath, to the point that several times I thought I was going to have a stroke or heart attack or something, (these are the times that I would normally try to workout to sweat the booze out then go to sleep if I could), it was the ultimate reason why I decided to quit drinking for good.

Then I found SR and learned that I was going through alcohol withdrawals on quite a regular basis. It scared me enough to the point that I will never drink again. The puking, bloody noses, occasional stomach pains and occasional numbness in certain parts of my body didn't have much effect on me quitting. On the other hand either did the time that I was drunk and blew out one of my eardrums and got shrapnel in my chest lighting an m-1000 fire cracker with no fuse, or the time I knocked out all of my front teeth going over the handlebars riding a bike drunk in the dark on the way home from a bar, or the 7 stitches and twelve stitches (one on each eyebrow) I received in separate bar fights.

Many of these things have seriously affected my well being, I still have a terrible case of tinnitus, and the alcohol I found caused my last 10 years of depression so I think my body told me numerous times, but the topper had to be finding out that I was going through serious withdrawals and was so uneducated about my alcohol problem that I could have died.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to get stabbing pains and also discomfort and embarrassing gurgling sounds (ahem). I notice I haven't really had a lot of throat problems since I quit drinking. The alcoholic obesity (if that's the correct term - looking like a pregnant male) and my face also bothered me.

Those were all on my mind as time went on, but it was more a mental thing for me. I wanted to have some vitality back and to treat myself better - and stand a better chance of looking better, yes; but I wanted to stop for psychological reasons. Not to be a slave to the routine of drinking every night and rotating my points of purchase like it was a double-life and battling with the _______ empties. It was more and more rewardless and I was finally ready to look upon it as inducing emotional pain and do something about it. I hadn't really given it a go before and I had already entered my 40s (had recently turned 41), so the timing seemed good too.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a rapid heart beat which scared me most. Anxiety, pains that would just pop up, depression and high BP. Went to the doc and she suggested I make some lifestyle changes. 45 days later, all of those things are gone. Life isn't perfect sober but I am happier than I have ever been.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
Ya know.......honestly.........I haven't a clue. I got so adept at ignoring every signal I heard that I couldn't tell you one thing - or maybe my body just liked the 4-7 liters of booze it was getting per week.

Really though, I learned to ignore all those signs because recognizing their existence would require me to consider my drinking "issues" and that might lead to me needing to stop - and I wasn't having any of that crazy-talk!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was waking up every day in the throes of withdrawal and the overwhelming anxiety that comes with it... I knew I was in deep trouble. When I gave up my morning coffee for two glasses of wine just to quell the shakes... I knew I was in deep trouble.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it was the neuropathy in my feet that scared me into action, i could barely walk at one point, having to crawl on my hands and knees was just so humiliating,
Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Rapid heartbeat, morning diarrhea and really high BP the day after drinking.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
skg

I made a list

Hallucinations; convulsions, shaking, hypothalamus in danger, stopped breathing, watery bowels, not eating, lack of desire to do anything, chronic heartburn, borderline dementia, depression, eye sight deteriorating rapidly, chest pains, back pains, leg pain, anger, rage, memory failing, heart palpitations and irregular beating leading to stoppage.

I think there's more but I've been granted the gift of amnesia...

It ain't pretty and it ain't quick...
Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just couldnt handle feeling like I could keel over and die any minute, at age 27.

The anxiety became so severe that I no longer woke up thinking 'damn im lucky to be alive' it was more like 'damn, im alive'

Ive not known anyone personally that's died from alcohol related illness, the fact that people continue to drink, as seen on 'rain in my heart' when their bodies are crapping out truly mystifies me.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

On the day following a binge I would have pain on either side of me -- lower abdominal pain. The pain would last for a few days and if I stopped drinking, it would go away. (It is now completely gone )

Even having 2-3 drinks prevents me from sleeping and gives me nightmares and panic attacks during the night, hot flashes and sweating, too.

I attribute all of these things to my body telling me not to drink anymore. I have decided to finally listen
Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was sweating profusely, to the point of having rivulets running down my body and sweat dripping off my hands. My feet sweated so much, my socks would be soaking when I took them off.

My chest hurt, specifically toward the lower left side. My heart pounded. I vomited and defecated blood with rising frequency.

I had numbness in my hands and feet. My hands swelled often. I shook in the mornings (until I started drinking).

I had/have broken veins in my face (at 37). I couldn't keep my balance.

I was in a bad temper, wanting a fight all the time. I had begun injuring myself and incurring injuries with rising frequency. Also, I couldn't concentrate enough to do things I used to love - like cook good food.

And, even though I didn't understand this as a symptom until I quit, I lost control of my bladder on occasion.

The reason I quit drinking is that my physical symptoms convinced me I was going to die a horrible death if I didn't.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If my body was telling me anything, I wasn't listening. Just like I didn't listen to my doctor when he told me what alcohol was doing to my body. I didn't quit drinking because of any physical manifestations of alcoholism. However, since I've quit I've noticed a lot of differences in my physical well being.

- I don't wake up with backaches so bad I couldn't get out of bed.
- I'm not falling asleep at work from the late nite tippling.
- No bloat, no bleary eyes, no beer breath
- No more bleeding from my nether region
- and speaking of my nether region, there's that other region where I wasn't functioning too well, if you catch my drift, that is performing up to old standards. Reason enough to stop drinking if you ask the Mrs ;-)
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I got to go to work like right now, but it is really nice to be with people that went down this road, sensed death, and did a U turn.

Congrats everyone!

p.s. I had other symptoms also like others here, the high blood pressure, but that couldn't stop me. It almost did but I pushed it to the back of my head. I had the heart palpitations a day or two after a hard couple nights and shortness of breath also. My sweat stunk!

Enjoy the day.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I never paid any attention to what if anything my body was telling me. It wasn't until I was in the hospital with a hole in my liver from a RX drug overdose and everything coming out of my bladder was practically black and I was told I wasn't going to survive that I finally said ok enough.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My body was most certainly telling me to stop with body aches, bloating in the face, anxiety attacks, insomnia and the list goes on. It took a whole new mindset to correct all those alcohol related health problems.