Notices

Stupid things you've done?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety saved my life.

Blackstrat6 you reminded me of this one with your story of forgetting where your truck was.

I rode my mountain bike to the bar drunk one nite to meet my buddy and proceeded to get much drunker. When I woke up the next day my bike was missing and I couldn't remember hardly anything including riding my bike to the bar or how I got home. I thought someone had stolen my bike from my house and freaked out because it was very expensive and my only way to get around and get to work cause I have never driven (not a DUI). I live in a small town so I told everyone I know to keep an eye out for it while I was walking, bumming rides and taking the bus everywhere. It wasn't 'till almost two weeks later that my buddy opened the trunk of his boat of a car '62 Ford Galaxy and there was my bike. He didn't remember how we got home that nite either, guess he drove. I felt like the biggest idiot in the world when I had to tell EVERYBODY what really happened.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I rented a limo on my 40th birthday so my friends and I could bar hop with no DUI worries. Getting into the limo after the last bar I tripped and fell across the inside of the limo and split my nose open on the ice bucket. THE ICE BUCKET!!! How appropriate!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I mostly drank at home, but I did have myself quite a few spectacular moments, in and outside the house.

Crashing my motorcycle into a garage
Riding from Boston to Providence in 25 minutes
being lost on Cape cod for 4 hours on my motorcycle, 60 miles from home with $5 in my pocket and no phone, drunk
crashing my jeep into a tree in the woods
Accidentally discharging my pistol while cleaning, in my house.
On my fourth and last date with the girl of my dreams laying in my bed, begging me to get in, I decided I wanted to go get a pizza instead.

There are countless stupid situations I've found myself in due to intoxication. The outcome was always negative.

29 days sober...
Old 09-17-2010, 02:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention I lost my driving licence because I:
1. Driving at 135MPH on a 50 MPH road
2. Crashing into a car and totalled both our cars
3. Crashed into a big truck at 40MPH
4. More speeding
5. And finally.... I crashed into someones house. This sounds unreal but I went into the bricks ending up in their living room. I think I crashed a 20 - 35MPH (Can't quite remember!) This is why I'm getting my one and only friend to take me to rehab.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the stories. Battypatty I laughed so loudly that both my dogs came over to see if I was okay (ice bucket.)

Sometimes I need a reality check as to what used to happen with me, because my strongest urge to drink is when I am feeling healthy, strong and happy, and my memory tends to be sadly quite selective (as the BB points out) - remembering stupid things I did helps me.

Your stories all help. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Soph, one of the times I was drinking, I did some krazy krap and fractured my skull. I can still feel the fracture; it feels like an indented line about an inch long. Whenever I put serious thought into getting a bottle of gin, some limes, and some club soda, I put my fingers to that fracture. It's a pretty vivid reminder.

Also, the memory of wetting my pants a few times because my bladder had gotten so weak serves as a good deterrent.

I mean, I felt good when I drank. I felt happy. The memory of my destructiveness negates how good I felt, though . . . if that makes sense. I destroyed my life. I don't have a friend left in the world. I am lucky my husband and parents still want something to do with me. I ruined my credit and will have to pay cash for the next car I get. I ruined any chances of having anything other than minimum wage, menial labor jobs. I ripped everything asunder.

Sometimes, I wonder if it's even worth it to still be alive after all this. I feel like I have nothing left, nothing to look forward to. I often question whether I should just go back to the drink and finish the job.

The reason I don't: I have a commitment to those who care about me. My life, the things in it, might get better sometime down the road if I continue not to drink. If I go back to the drink, though, all is lost.

Happy Friday.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bellasprogram View Post
You mean the stupid things that I can "Remember" doing?
Exactly, I can remember a few of the worst (and scary) but the memories of the vast majority are washed away by the drink.

I've been keeping a detailed diary of my last 3.5 months of on and off drinking while planning to quit. Looking through it now, most of the smaller embarrassments I'd completely forgotten. But also the hangovers, illness and horrible mental and physical effects recorded at the time I've little recollection of at all.

It's not all negative though, the weeks when I've been sober have some wonderful occasions recorded. More proof if proof was needed that I'm done with alcohol.

PS: One from my student days - turning up to a barbeque drunk and eating a large pork kebab completely raw in front of everyone, not even noticing it wasn't cooked...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Just drinking excessively was stupid enough and I don't remember much but
I did put a turkey in the oven 1 Thanksgiving and got so drunk I forgot about it until the next day (I was supposed to take it to a friends house and I never showed up)

Went running with my dog while drunk and barefoot in the dark and fell and broke a toe

Got drunk at a company event and told off my former (married) lover in front of everyone

Got angry and scared of my drunken date and jumped out of his moving car far from home and he didn't chase me --didn't even know where I was but I was over an hour from home and I had to find someone to come get me

Ahh yes...the good ole days...not
Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Not about me, but...

My mate once rang me and I could hear sirens and shouting etc down the phone and then him laughing, clearly wasted. He was a bus driver (then) and said: ‘I just drove my bus into a stationary car’. I could hear the cops trying to take his phone off him.

About a week later...

Same mate called me and (again, clearly wasted) said: ‘You know I drove my bus into the back of a car last week? [laughing] Well I just drove my car into the back of a stationary bus . What’re the chances!’

Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
part time member

When they have "drunkapades" on television and the movies everyone thinks that they are hilarious but then again...they are actors...it isn't real....it isn't really funny..it is sad...

I fell in the lake after getting up from the chair (everyone had left me there). Husband wondered what happened to me....I remember clinging to the seawall and being wet but other than that I remember nothing...duh...I continued to drink for another year..that was how stupid I was....
Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'll share one that the sober mind would find more dangerous than stupid.

Was at a bar all night and of course, tied a mean one on. Decided I had enough, I began walking home - probably about 1.5 mile walk - not bad if sober. It was probably around 2 am.

I remember staggering as I walked and becoming so, so tired that I could barely go on.

I couldn't go on, I needed to sleep.

I walked up onto a porch of a house, checked the door to see if it was locked. Nope. It was unlocked.

So I quietly and carefully (as only a drunk can do) turned the door knob and entered the house. I figured they were bound to have a couch in the living room. I found the couch immediately since it was only a few steps from the door.

What a relief! A place to sleep! I lied down on the couch, fully clothed, including shoes in the event I needed to make a quick exit.

Although extremely drunk, I realized my welcome there would be short-lived.

I don't know how long I spent there but it was probably an hour or a little more at the most.

Got up, slowly walked to the front door, exited, and continued my walk home.

How moronic!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have lots of these! They are funny now, but oh god I remember waking up to the dread of vaguely remembering what I did.... ugh never again.

* Once crashed my car in to a ditch on a very busy road in the town I live in at 2:00am. I had to call a tow truck to get it out. The cops came by and everything. How I didn't get a DUI I will never know.

* Got pulled over while drunk w/ a suspended license and no insurance. I was also 19 to boot! I ate a ton of funyans I happened to have in my truck, the cop took my license and my insurance back to his car for like 30 minutes, came back and told me to have a nice day.

* Drunk, smoking a cigarette, texting while driving, and driving a stick shift. You know where this is going! I hit a mailbox and totaled my paid off car

* Drunk in a hotel... I ran up and down the halls screaming "I WANT TO BE AN AIRBORNE RANGER!!!" and knocking on everyones door at like 3:00am. You know that part on breakfast club? I guess I was recreating it.

* Sooo many drunk dials/facebook messages/emails/chats. God I was horrible.

Never again!!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I once planned on making large payments on a high interest credit card. I made the decision when I was sober. Then when drunk the money was in my account so I decided to do it right then before I changed my mind.
So I didn't "black out". Simply forgot that I had done it. The next day, I did it again. Bank of America takes a couple of days to process online payments, so noting showed me I had already made the payment.
I remembered that I had done it the first time, when I saw the payment come through twice. Resulting in $380 in NSF fees (my bank will take the large debits first, then charge for each smaller debit, even if it was just a pack of gum). Needless to say, I no longer drank and banked
I also got in the habit of not doing anything while drunk. I'd write myself a note by my computer instead, to do it when I woke up.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

* I was so drunk and wanting more booze I found a little kids bike in the garage, my knees were knocking agaist my chest as I rode about three miles to the grocerry store. Then on the way back with a bottle of vodka in a grocery bag some punk said "nice bike fag%@ot" I jumped of tackled him and put him in a choke hold till be passed out, lol. Then rode home.

* there are countless other stories such as DWI's, missing work, showing up to to the office half drunk and many more.

I'm just so thankfull not to be in that vicious cycle anymore. It is good to sit down and reflect on all the stupid things I did while drinking though.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Lildawg - you're worth it! I know that feeling of despair/what do I have to look forward to/ but it never lasts too long...there are too many others who need you and love you!

A woman in one of my AA meetings said once, "wait for the miracle, because it will happen." And she is one of the most serene, happy and calm people. She said she used to be an anxious mess. I cannot believe it but I do.

TGIF!!!

Soph :-)
Old 09-17-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Drunk driving arrest
Alcohol poisoning
Ended 2 serious relationships drunk
And so many embarrassing pictures/stories I have a lifetime of regrets

But that was the past, and I press on to the future.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

So many instances of drunk driving, phone calls, and texting, but also:

- passed out in my neighbours apartment who i had never met before after knocking on their door confused thinking it was mine and my key didn't work. I was so drunk I didn't realise that I was next door and not at home

- did the same thing at my ex boyfriends neighbours and passed out there (in the middle of the day)

- passed out in various nightclubs bathrooms

- passed out under a table in a hotel lobby

- unsafe sexual activities

- weed in my friends bed

- cut my foot after my boyfriend broke a bottle at home and i ran into the living room right onto it, and after realising the extent of the damage (ended up needing 17 stitches and my toe is paralysed from nerve damage), ran through the lobby of my apartment block to get in an ambulance. because of the amount of blood i left on the carpet in the lobby and from my front door to the elevator (there were literally pools of it), all of the carpet in the building needed to be replaced

- walked out naked in front of my exs best friend then told him i loved him because i was so drunk i confused him with my ex

honestly the list could go on and on, so many embarrasing and dangerous things I did. never again...
Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

When I think of "stupid" things I did, I very quickly move to "insane" things I've done. And there were plenty.

In fact, I wouldn't feel comfortable listing all my actions.

But I will list one that should show you just how thoughtless I was:

I was running with this addict. He was a fugitive, wanted felon and completely addicted to drugs, booze and the lifestyle. I let him stay at my place, while I left to run errands. I was shocked upon arriving home to find all my jewelry and cash was gone, and so was he. The stupid part, on looking back, is that I was "shocked."
Old 09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Not getting help. Or just cussing out people on my phone because I'm an ******* when I got on my 3rd or 4th day of binge
Old 09-17-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I certainly drove drunk a number of times which I am still horrified by. A number of years ago I called a psychic hotline and racked up a $400 bill. I can't remember anything the "psychic" told me. Maybe that I had alcoholism in my future.