Notices

Advice on AA

Old 09-14-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on AA

I will be sober for a year come November. so, about 10 months now. I am wondering if its too late for me to try AA now? Are they going to think I am crazy coming in after all this time? I am just feeling very alone and like I need to be around others in my situation. I have lost so many friends since I stopped drinking and feel so Isolated. This is also a very hard time of the year for me for some reason, I always seem to get the itch to drink so bad. I had a over a year this same time last year and I blew it. I guess with the change of seasons and my daughter going back to school. Also, not really working much doesnt help. I really feel like I need something and maybe meetings would help me.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give it a good try. I doubt they'll kick you out just 'cause you weren't there from the start.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

Yes...please do come join us in AA.
The doors are open for anyone wishing to get or stay sober.

I think that it's really good you recognize you are having a
danger time that could get you back to drinking.

You never need to isolate or be lonely when you are an
AA member......

I also find our site enhances my AA recovery.
Please do continue to share with us...

Forward we go..side by side

Last edited by CarolD; 09-14-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, give it try, if for nothing more than to be around other people, avoiding the isolation and loneliness. It has only been the second day and I dragging my butt to a noon meeting. I'm in kind of the same position, not working, feeling lonely and anxious. I've been to AA before and managed a few years of sobriety. Try it you, might like it.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to AA at 3 years sober.
AA added a 3d element to my sobriety.
AA took nothing away from me and treated me with respect.
You have nothing to lose and possibly much to gain.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I knew a man who had not had a drink in about 20 years--without AA or any other support. According to him (and his wife concurred) he was a real SOB. Then he started going to AA and began to live. I was in AA for the first year of sobriety, but I mostly just held on tight. My real "work" didn't begin until the second year. AA membership includes anyone who suffers from alcoholism. You will be welcomed. I don't think I could have done it without AA.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChangeIsGood123 View Post
This is also a very hard time of the year for me for some reason, I always seem to get the itch to drink so bad. I had a over a year this same time last year and I blew it. I guess with the change of seasons and my daughter going back to school. Also, not really working much doesnt help. I really feel like I need something and maybe meetings would help me.
Being a member of A.A. myself, I can assure you that nobody will think you are crazy for wiating for this length of time to go to meetings. Nor will anybody throw you out or tell you not to come. A.A. doesn't work that way, they give support and are caring people. In my own opinion, with what you stated above, now would be a good time to go to meetings.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Harry

Last edited by Harry01854; 09-14-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: finish a statement
Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I have the great honor and pleasure of sponsoring a gentleman who came into AA after almost 5 years of not drinking. He came on the advice of his psychiatrist, he was almost suicidal. As he says, "I hadn't had a drink in 5 years, but I wasn't sober, just not drunk."

We have worked together in AA for the past 8 years and so he actually has been without a drink a couple of years longer than I have, but he calls me his sponsor, even though I get a great deal more from him than I contribute, I am sure of that. It is the fellowship that keeps both of us on the path of growth and happiness, and we find that in AA.

Most people find camaraderie and support with people that they have a common bond or interest with. If ONE of your goals in life is to live without alcohol, then it seems to me you will likely find folks with similar goals in an AA meeting. I do, and a couple of meetings a week remind me that I am better off in AA than outside of the fellowship. That is just how it works for me.

Best of Luck regardless,

Jon
Old 09-14-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have gone back to AA for the same reason as you said - the company you meet. I do part of the program and leave the rest. If I had any WFS (women for sobriety meetings) near me, I would go to them, also, since I use that program online. If you are a woman, that is a possibility for you, too.

Good luck!!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree with what everyone else has said. I went to my first AA meeting the day after my last drink, but I've seen others come in with a subtantial amount of time without a drink. AA is WAY more than just a way to stop drinking--the program gives you a whole new way to live that will make sobriety more fulfilling.

I vote for GO.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its seriously worth it! You are not alone in where you are at the moment, i know a handful of guys who at some point got a year together without drinking and were not happy...i would commend you on your year and get to an AA meeting, find someone who is recovered from alcoholism through the 12 steps of AA and ask them for help....

I drank after a year and after 5 months beginning of 2009...i was even posting here then saying i KNOW i should go to AA but my pride wouldn't let me...and to be honest i couldn't see the point of just sitting in a room 3 times a week...

Like i have said the real AA is the one with the solution to being happy in sobriety, find that recovered guy at a meeting....there are a few in each meeting and they will help you like they helped me...do it b4 you drink cos you might not stop again for a long long time if ever again...

let us know what you do either way...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking, which you have.

Its a great place to meet new friends. You also might learn a thing or two. AA it also a good support group to help you maintain your sobriety. People do relapse, even after years of sobriety, but their chances diminishes when they have a support group and friends in recovery.

Give it a try. The worst thing that can happen, is that you don't like.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This thread is perfect. I am 10 months sober on my own, however a friend took me to something called the Fall Classic here in MO. It was a big AA convention and got me thinking about joining. So Monday night I went to a meeting on my own and actually liked it.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

rws177: Sobriety Date: November 11, 2009

Different year, but that is also my sobriety date. Hopes it is as good for you as it has been for me.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome. Come on in, the water is just fine!!!

Brian
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow I would like to say thanks to everyone for the wonderful responses and great advise and encouragement!

I really think I will give it a try.