Notices

Will it ever end?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh- I don't work with rescue dogs like that- but someone here does, a few people I think. I just watch other people's dogs while they travel (they happen to be rescue dogs though) and I dog walk. Tormented Mirror- I am trying to focus on the "better for me" people in my life. I have been successful to an extent. I used to hang around anyone who would have me, I am a little more discerning now! That's definitely a hard lesson learned. I try to keep in mind that I am a good friend to have and that the benefits are mutual. Anyone ever think, "Hey, I never meant to be a drunk"? That's how I feel about it. I didn't even know I had it in me, as I got a late "start". Now it's eight years later. Well for now at least I did not begin my day with a "hair of the dog", so as they say- "One day at a time, sometimes one minute"! I've been hydrating all day with water and tea and veggie juice, I feel a little better already and I will have a pleasant bath and read my trashy book. Thanks all for your replies- it really lifts my spirits and helps me get through the day. I really do appreciate it.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by justbrian View Post
How about instead you trying harder, you accept that there is a power greater than all of us that will do it for us? It worked for me, and thousands of other alcoholics around the world. The gift is right there sleepie, all that's being asked of you is to accept it.

Brian
Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Because I do not believe in fairy tales. I am agnostic at best.
When I first got sober, I didn't believe in anything, but I was happy to accept the notion there was a power greater than me cos looking at the wreckage of my life back then I clearly wasn't very powerful at all.

For me, in those early days, the power greater than me was the love, support and advice I got from people here and elsewhere.

D
Old 09-16-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
but instead I drink to quell the fear and anxiety
I don't know if this will help you but just these past couple of weeks, after recommitting to myself and re-approaching a fresh take on sobriety, I found two new physicians (working as a team) who I believe may be able to help me. Instead of thinking like or treating a drunk with an anxiety problem, go after the anxiety problem first and then figure out the alcohol bit. I'm sure it won't fit everyone but a change in thinking - whatever that change may mean for an individual - may be what we poor sots need.

I've avoided open, bi-directional discussions for years and the past month of re-establishing dialogs has been incredibly helpful.

Do what you need to do and best of luck.