Notices

Should I avoid Nyquil?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I avoid Nyquil?

SO I'm not feeling so great right now... I have a fever, sore throat, and am pretty sure I'm coming down with a cold. I was taking stock of our cold medications in case I should come to a point later this week where I might need them, and I came across the Nyquil. It's the only nighttime cold medicine we happen to have in the house right now. As you all probably know, it contains alcohol.

I wouldn't take it unless I truly needed nighttime cold medicine (which I don't think I will tonight), but should I not even be taking it in that instance? Even as directed? Should I avoid it totally? I personally don't feel as though one dose, taken for a cold as directed, would cause me any problems, but I don't want to have to reset my sober time for taking something that technically contains alcohol.

If the advice is to avoid Nyquil, do you guys have any recommendations for nighttime cold medicines that don't contain alcohol that I could pick up tomorrow?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't. I take it if I need it, which, thankfully, isn't often.

Something to think about: Nyquil contains acetaminophen and alcohol. The combo of alcohol and acetaminophen is not good for your body. Because I know that, I don't think I'd be tempted to take more than the recommended dosage. Besides, it tastes like monkey butt.

If you're worried about the alcohol content, go to the pharmacy tomorrow and tell them you need an OTC cold med that contains no alcohol. If they argue, tell them why. Perhaps they can suggest something.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Che

If it makes you uncomfortable, don't take it.

I don't personally count that as relapse, and I use mouthwash that contains alcohol. However, you know yourself what you'll feel like if you take it, and if you think you're going to go down a slippery slope of 'oh well I already screwed up because of this medicine' then don't do it.

If you go to your local pharmacy, you can probably ask for an alternative cold medicine that doesn't contain alcohol.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by lildawg View Post
Besides, it tastes like monkey butt.

That was funny
Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
part time member

in case I should come to a point later this week
Sounds like you have time to shop for something else and you should....just in case.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I avoid it. It has a significant amount of alcohol. Not so much that I am afraid of it, but I don't need that jarring sensation of alcohol, even mouthwash bugs me... We are all different... but if you are early in recovery, you might not appreciate that blast... best to get another cough and cold preparation... Some recovered people don't even like decongestants (I don't... too much like stimulants, which I was addicted to) or antihistamines (they are ok for me)...

Use stuff like mucenex (plain), robitussin (plain or maybe DM, though the DM might trigger those who used to robotrip)... We are not supposed to give medical advice, but your question is a good one and that information should be out there...

Mark
Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

While I don't have a problem using a mouthwash that contains alcohol (others do have a problem with it, so I don't recommend it if you have any doubts), but I WOULD have a problem with actually swallowing something that has as much alcohol as Nyquil. To me, it would be like having a "shot".

There are cold medications that have a mild sedative effect that don't contain alcohol. I'd sooner take one of those. Actually, though, it's the symptoms that keep you awake, so if you get something effective against the symptoms, you should sleep fine, anyway.

Again, this is just me.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everybody's different. When I quit drinking, I would dream all night that I did nothing but drink, and then I'd wake up with a hangover (literally). When I was two years sober, I started having the dreams again. Couldn't figure out why I was having them. Turns out it was the Listerine I was using. I didn't consciously notice it, but I guess my subconscious picked up on the fact that I was essentially gargling a shot and spitting it back out. It didn't give me cravings, but the dreams were rather annoying. Now I use alcohol free mouthwash.

I won't use Nyquil for the same reason. I use Theraflu. Works like a charm.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure I've ever taken Nyquil but I know I researched it for other posts here and the alc content is quite high.

I'd avoid it myself - especially if I had the opportunity to canvass other options.

As we know, SR is not really the best place to get that kind of advice tho

I think the best thing to do is see your pharmacist, explain your situation and ask them for suggestions, soberbythesea
D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-12-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: wake up, Dee!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lildawg View Post
Besides, it tastes like monkey butt.
A lot of happy monkeys in your neighborhood, huh?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't take it. I even avoid cold medicines that have sleep aides in them unless I'm reeeeally sick.

I can become addicted to everything I look at. Not going to chance it when something else will work just as well.

Besides, it does taste like monkey butt. That's probably a good thing, come to think of it.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The Nyquil GEL CAPS work just as well as the liquid and have NO alcohol in them.

I stay away from the liquid Nyquil and I have been sober a LONG time.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
oak

I personally stay away from Nyquil. I would be concerned about Nyquil activating ('lighting up') parts of my brain that are activated by alcohol and increasing urges to drink or making a relapse more likely.

I considered it briefly a few days ago because I have been sick. Last week, I did hear a speaker in an AA meeting saying she takes it when sick. I considered using what she said as an excuse to take it myself. But for me, it's using alcohol.

It does taste awful. I cannot comment on monkey butts though. (or if I can, I'm not telling...)
Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fiveyearzen View Post
A lot of happy monkeys in your neighborhood, huh?
:rotfxko

Sorry, that was screamingly funny.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've been sticking with Wal-Mart non alcoholic cold..
Flu and mouthwash for years. ...

They are cheaper too!

Sorry to know of your cold....
I just came off one that I think came from a doctors visit.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
The Nyquil GEL CAPS work just as well as the liquid and have NO alcohol in them.

I stay away from the liquid Nyquil and I have been sober a LONG time.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
THANK YOU Laurie! I just checked and you're right, no alcohol in the gelcaps. We actually have both the gelcaps and the liquid in the house already -- I had just incorrectly assumed that the gelcaps must have alcohol too. So, I will just take those as needed this week (and I'm going to need them tonight -- ugh, so sick! Not going to work tomorrow.)

Thanks everyone for your responses. It was definitely food for thought. I won't be using the liquid Nyquil in future, I don't think -- it's so easily avoided, why go there?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarah78 View Post
I can't believe theres a product on the market that contains both acetaminophen and alcohol.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm going to make a confession here: I didn't realize Nyquil had alcohol in it until SoberbytheSea started this thread.

I set out to answer SoberbytheSea with something like, "Nyquil doesn't have alcohol; it has too much acetaminophen for that." Then, I figured I'd better do some research before I said that. Sure enough, there it was -- alcohol in Nyquil along with all that acetaminophen.

After what I've learned in this thread, I'll probably switch to something else this winter when I have my usual sinus problems.

My husband, the heavy drinker, takes stuff like this all the time after he's had several beers and a couple of glasses of wine. I always tell him about the risks of taking acetaminophen with alcohol. Every, single time he says, "Really? I didn't know that." It frustrates me. Perhaps I should quit telling him.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not giving medical advice, but several years ago I found something called "Zicam" . Big, chewable pills. Start when I feel a cold coming on (for me I can feel it in my chest) and I skip the rest, stops a cold in it's tracks. No, no Nyquil for me.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I asked my doctor....which is the best thing for a cold...
x or y?

"Hmm...well x cures colds...in 2 weeks
Y does in 14 days"

Yes...I can treat the Yukky feeling
but for me....
it takes 14 days for the cold virus to leave.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I started to take some the other night while fighting a bad cold and immediately spit it out in the sink. 10% alcohol, 20 proof! I will find an alcohol free solution.