SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Bit of a wobble (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/208862-bit-wobble.html)

soberscot 09-11-2010 01:10 PM

Bit of a wobble

I've been sober 15 days now but had my first wobble earlier. I had a disagreement with a friend and afterward all I wanted to do was drive to the store buy alcohol and get smashed. I was upset and felt quite alone.

I managed to have a non-alcoholic drink and calm down. I thought about what might happen if I drank, my health, social issues and the like. I then decided to order the biggest pizza I could then poured myself a large glass of Coke with copious amounts of ice. After stuffing my face I had a little chocolate and feel much better.

It could have been so different.

CarolD 09-11-2010 01:14 PM

I'm pleased you took action to stay on track
:)
Good for you....:hug:

soberscot 09-11-2010 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by CarolD (Post 2705676)
I'm pleased you took action to stay on track
:)
Good for you....:hug:

Thanks!

It actually made me realize and reaffirm that I was all too often using alcohol as a crutch and any emotional problem large or small, or indeed a practical problem I could not work around was an excuse to get drunk.

Dee74 09-11-2010 02:04 PM

great work soberscot :)
D

julez 09-11-2010 02:19 PM

Soberscot, you did a great job slowing down to think about it. One foot in front of the other, one small step at a time.

Opivotal 09-11-2010 04:49 PM

Great job Scot! You thought it through and beat the bad guy. Feels good to win doesn't it?
Keep up the fight.

Best Wishes To You

tooling 09-11-2010 05:04 PM

Cool.

A big meal will help to an extent.

I had so many urges today it was sick. But I made another day. Quite a boring day but that's the way it rolls.

tooling 09-11-2010 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by soberscot (Post 2705688)
Thanks!

It actually made me realize and reaffirm that I was all too often using alcohol as a crutch and any emotional problem large or small, or indeed a practical problem I could not work around was an excuse to get drunk.

At 5 weeks now, when I get tempted to drink it seems like a bunch of reason TO drink start flashing in front of my mind. Once you get to know these little evil things you can better ignore them. At least I hope so.

LaFemme 09-11-2010 05:20 PM

Great job! Its not never having cravings that is a victory its having cravings, recognizing them, doing something else and not giving in:-)

AlcoholicOrNot 09-11-2010 06:38 PM

Great decision SoberScot :a122:

soberscot 09-11-2010 06:41 PM

Thanks everyone :thanks

I took a drive a little while ago to the 24Hr supermarket, something I couldn't do when drinking. I had a look around and bought some different juices and soda, just to try and vary things and not get bored.

I think the drive then the walk around helps as well. It's really weird to start and realize that other people fit having a drink around their lives. Whereas we alcoholics get to the stage of fitting what little life we have around drinking!

I was drinking from 7pm to 3am a few nights a week and 7pm to 7/8am the rest of the time. Sleeping all day and getting up trying to feel well enough and sober enough to drive for more alcohol. Getting through a bottle of wine and maybe 10-15 bottles of Miller is not anyway to live your life. I had started to think about alcohol through the day as well which was a sure fire way to really ruin everything I have.

I'm so glad I got sick and decided that enough was enough!