Notices

Bloody noses/heavy drinking...

Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bloody noses/heavy drinking...

Hi everyone!! I'm just curious..when I was drinking, and especially heavily I remember getting nose bleeds....it happened a few times... Did this happen to you?? I never did get it checked out...haven't had one since I quit....it was awful..

Hope everyone is doing well!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The only time I had nose bleeds was if I got into a fight or if I busted my nose falling down.

I had hives when I drank, though. They were these red welts that would appear all over my inner forearms and the trunk of my body. They'd itch and itch, and, eventually, they'd go down. Since I quit drinking, though, I don't have them.

Gross!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Never had them unless somebody punched me in the nose (which actually wasn't uncommon :-)). But since alcohol thins the blood and makes a person more prone to bleed, your nose bleeds don't surprise me.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I bruised much easier...and not just from walking into things or falling down. The other day I hit my arm really hard against something and I was surprised I didn't have a nasty bruise..the blood thinning aspect makes a lot of sense...thanks!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have VonWillowbrands disease....which means my blood clots much slower anyway ( I have to be pre-medicated before dental work and any surgery with a special drug DDAVP)...if you grab my arm, i'll see your fingermarks the next day...i bruise very easily, i made it much worse with drinking (along with running into objects)

when I drank heavily combined with my anxiety I would itch and scratch my forearms...to the point where I raised blood quite easily.

IDK about nose bleeds, but if anyone is concerned about how much and quickly you bruise and bleed you might want to ask your doctor to run a PT (prothrombin time test) to check your clotting time...it's a simple blood draw.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
Hi everyone!! I'm just curious..when I was drinking, and especially heavily I remember getting nose bleeds....it happened a few times... Did this happen to you?? I never did get it checked out...haven't had one since I quit....it was awful..

it's actually very common with female drinkers, less with males but is most predominant in very heavy alcohol consumption. i had a few, and they were always very embarassing.
dang......that's some leaving Las Vegas drinkin'.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post

Glad you're doing better. It could have been many things, liver disease being one of them. Bruising, nose bleeds, failure to clot easily.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So crazy how we abused and neglected our bodies!! so glad we have all changed that!! and I bet our bodies are happy too!!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol abuse raises your blood pressure, your nose is a natural release valve for your body.

I've woken up to many bloody pillows.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I bruised easily and bled freely when I was at the end of my drinking. I'd cut myself accidentally and it would take forever for the bleeding to stop.

Alcohol also dehydrates you and probably makes the membranes of the nose more prone to cracking and bleeding.

Glad you're no longer suffering with it!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes. When I drank hard for a 3-4 day binge i would bleed.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for this reminder - it's something I had forgotten. When I was drinking at my heaviest early last year (constant vodka day and night) I would have frequent nose bleeds. I also bruised easily, had an enlarged liver, was overweight, noticeable jaundice, digestive problems etc. etc. It really was hell.

Hope I never go back there but given my recent careless relapses it seems frighteningly possible that I might.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Forwards, all the best to you in your recovery!!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Forwards, rather then hoping you don't go back there (sounds like a very dangerous place) I hope you find ways to make sure you don't go back there. Your liver can only take so much and by the sounds of it, it seems yours has had enough.

I agree. Things don't just magically get better on their own. We have to take steps to ensure that we don't return to our old habits. What can you do to keep heading down the path of sobriety?