Notices

day one!!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day one!!

I've written this same post on here at least a half dozen times, but HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!! Day 1 today.

I'm determined. I'm ready. I KNOW it's time to quit. Send me some encouragement..........I'm gonna need it!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today is going to be my day one to. I wish you the best of luck. I have had many day ones. I plan on going to AA and to stick with a program. Everytime I relapse is when I get to comfortable with my not drinking. Life without alcohol is so much better but your mind works against you and tells you just one more time.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
part time member

What will you do different this time?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
High on Life

You need a plan..................Good Luck!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

on previous attempts, I would make it a few days and get through the crummy detox stuff and then I would think "Man, I'm feeling good!!" So obviously it was time for a drink!! pretty stupid, huh?

mainly what I've come to realize (finally) is that I need to get through those first few days and then understand I don't want to go through that anymore.

I'm going to bury myself in prayer, I'm staying away from temptations, and I'm determined.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The fact that you keep "coming back" to day one tells you something. You've thought about it enough to realize it's time to stop.

Good Luck and please keep us posted.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR....

Yes ... you too can win over alcohol
Many of us are doing that very thing.....

For me to do so....I daily use God and AA.
Before then...I did return to drinking often.

All my best
Old 09-09-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Good luck to you Tex. I see you joined this site almost about 9 months ago. I'd ask you to consider whether something other than "your best ideas" might be in order. I struggled for a while too...more months than you've been here actually....wanting to quit, trying to quit, but always failing. There ARE ways to get RECOVERED and it doesn't have to be this tough.

I pray you'll find your way through this.... keep looking but don't be afraid to try something new if what you're doing isn't working.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Best of luck, Tex. You've gotten some good ideas here, so there's nothing I can add. All I can tell you is, when you feel like drinking, ask yourself honestly what it's going to improve about your situation.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

To kody99 & BigTex3:

With all due respect you can string together ten thousand day ones till you're six feet under.

You are caught in a viscous cycle. You need to break that. You sound determined and chipper in the bright blue morning. But what will you do today or this evening? When the urge to drink returns? Are you truly ready to put the plug in the jug?

You are starting out right, but as someone here stated, what is your immediate plan? I certainly hope you are looking for a meeting today. Since you have internet access you might want to search up local AA meetings in your neighborhood. That would be an excellent decision. And get some phone numbers. Go to the meeting early. Meet some fellow alcoholics. They can't wait to meet you!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

visiting w/ my counselor today.
prayer/prayer/prayer
kid function tonight

hopefully it's all enough to get me through TODAY.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi BigTex! Congratulations on another Day 1:-) I had many of them before somethign clicked. Glad you have a counselor, it helps to have someone who can help you. Prayer's great too...I found prayer worked best for me, when I changed it from "Please God make it stop" to "Please God, make alcohol terrible to me"....but that's just me.

Take good care of yourself physically as well...your body has a lot of healing today, and when your body is well, it is easier for your mind to be well as well.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Che

When you quit alcohol, you will find you have a lot more time on your hands. Planning is deciding what to do with this time.

Go to AA, if you want.
Visit family and friends without the context of drinking.
Start a personal project.

Just don't leave yourself stranded with nothing to do but think about drinking. In my first weeks of quitting, even thinking about that I had quit alcohol wasn't helpful. I had to put my mind in other places and occupy myself. After awhile I became comfortable with it again and now it doesn't bother me at all to talk about alcohol. I don't know what is right for you, but you should make some effort to find the things that make you struggle and avoid them, at least for a little while.

I will wish you luck, but the truth is it's just determination.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Depending on one's age...

Originally Posted by MelissaNoDrugs View Post
To kody99 & BigTex3:

With all due respect you can string together ten thousand day ones till you're six feet under.
That's 27+ years and that may not be so bad really. Just saying.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats BigTex! Day 4 for me in Garland Texas. You in Texas?