Notices

Is relapse an infectious disease?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Question Is relapse an infectious disease?

Hi, my name is ninja7, and I am alcoholic!
A friend of mine in local AA said that a friend of him relapesed and called him by phone. He went down to see him and he talked him. Then he ended up also relapese. Same things happend in local AA again lately.

Is relapse an infectious disease? AA does not try to argue alcoholics into joining. Should we reach out of being relapsed person as long as they drink?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ninja,

I think it's better to reach out by phone or go in pairs; two sober, recovering people for the in person visits. This has just been a bit of a policy for me. We can never really know when a relapsed person may get violent or may set off an impulse to drink. Having a sober buddy is a good idea. And yes, please do reach out to those in need. But keep your sobriety safe, too.

Love,

Lenina
Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey man

Without doing the steps and getting the spriritual awakening in AA (drastic personality change if you will) we are the same as when we first walked through the door...of course our external things have changed becauise we have stopped drinking e.g. physical, job, relationship, interests etc but fundamentally without changing we remain the same, that makes sense...

Therefore when put in a situation like this we revert right back to where we were last time we were in that situation...i.e. having a drink might seem like a good idea...

As has been said many times do the work in AA, recover then go out and try and help other people...do this for 2 reasons:

1. you have to protect your own sobriety or time between drinks
2. you can't give away what you haven't got

When that was explained to me by my sponsor i couldn't find anything illogical about what he was saying:-)
Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Hi Ninja, perhaps the only way to understand why people relapse, is perhaps their resolve is just not strong enough and if you who are in sobriety are not strong or have a tendency to be weak, then i agree with the other posters, don't go alone, two is always better than one! But as you always say to me, we cant really speak to A when they are not of clear mind, I had this first hand the other day, when my AH was going on and on, he phoned his friend, but, his friend didnt come, and when i spoke to my AH the next day when he was sober, and asked how do I take everything you told me when you were drunk? He told me I must just forget it all, as it was not him speaking! So we codies spend all this time worrying about our family/spouse frame of mind then they come along the next day and say ''oh it was nothing''. Very hard situation to be in, for them and for us. Keep strong yourself.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

I see.

((Lenina))
By phone or go in pairs are good idea and better than face to face.

((yeahgr8))
We can't give away what we haven't got. I've done 12 steps. After fineshed 12th steps, we should help others, especially relapse person.

((Starburst))
As long as they are drinking, nothing is effective for alkies. We can not change their mind. When I was help relapsed person, I ask myself if I were codie or not. That is important check point for us. We have to keep boundaries between us and relapsed person.