Notices

So what am I suppossed to do with these numbers?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
High on Life

So what am I suppossed to do with these numbers?

Just got back from an awesome meeting at a different location. I actually like this place more than the one I go to reguarly, but it's so much farther.

Anyway, I have been collecting numbers and I'm not sure what I'm suppossed to do with them. Do I just call them when I have an urge, or do I call just to chat? I'm not really sure how all this works, because I when I first went to AA I really wasn't interested in any of it. But now that I'm back, I'm trying to do everything right, or at least put my best foot forward.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

hi Theend.. it is Really up to you.. Call if You Want to (or) need to.. that is why folks give them out.. to Help!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Call if you need/want someone to talk to was my impression.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I never called anyone.... probably not the best move but that's what happened. What I'd recommend is circle the names of the ppl who come up to you and say hi (if you like them, that is) and call them if you have any questions - like "where are some good meetings?" As you've seen, not all meetings are the same...... by a LONG shot.

the ppl who just throw their name on the sheet and never say hi to you.....even though they know you're new.....I wouldn't worry about calling them. They're possibly just going through the motions. The folks with a solid program will come up to you and say hi. They do at one of the groups I go to anyway... some of the lackadaisical meetings, nobody makes an effort to say hi to new ppl and the new folks are better off for it....trust me.... you want to stick with the winners in AA. Who are the winners? dry time, # of meetings, age..... BS... look for the ppl walking the walk - the folks that come up to you to say hi and make you feel welcome is a good start.

Call em before you pick up, call em if you're lonely, if you're bored, if you're freaking out, if you want to go to different meetings, if you need a ride....... I say burn 'em up. You'll find out real quickly who the solid members are - THEN STICK WITH THOSE PPL.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

TE.....
I really like it when I get a call...that's why I give out my number.
So you are helping me and I hope I can help you too...

It's not complicated ...and it's a good way to have daily
contact with another alcoholic.

Soooo....I suggest you make a practice of ringing someone daily.
If someone is not available...keep going down the list.

'Hi....this is Carol....you gave me your number at X.
I really appreciate it Thank you
Are you busy?
Do you usually go to X...or have other places you like?"

The first call I made......we ended up talking about
TV shows....

The idea is to get comfortable reaching out to others
then...it's easier when you hit a glitch.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree with what Carol said. I don't use the phone a whole lot, period. I just don't enjoy talking on the phone most of the time.

I DID call someone on my fourth day sober, when I had a sewer back up into my basement, completely flooding it, and I was totally freaking out. Good thing I did, too, because later that night while my basement was still swimming in raw sewage, a neighbor showed up at my door and put a cold beer into my hand, figuring I could "use it." I think the fact that I made that call is part of what made it possible for me to turn down that beer.

I also agree with what DayTrader said, which is to start putting the names on the list together with the faces. If someone seems cool, like you'd enjoy talking further, give him a call and see if he wants to go grab coffee or a bite to eat before or after the meeting.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Call each one and ask this...

Can you take me through the steps using the big book..
Can you show me how you recovered..

If it was me.....id be tearing across town to your house...cos your gonna help me as much as i could help you..

Unless of course your one of those sociable friendly types..lol.....in that case you could call just to be friendly.....
Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm......
Unless of course your one of those sociable friendly types..lol.....in that case you could call just to be friendly.....
That would be me....

I'm certainly not one of the "Gloom and Doom"
recovered AA alcoholics.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

maybe my sense of humour is tooooo dry sometimes.....
ill get my coat.