Notices

free sober house's?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

free sober house's?

I know there are many many many sober houses/recovery clinics around. Many are advertised right here on this site. They say "affordable" but..im sure its more than 50 buks a week. Alot more. So my question..are there any decent live -in sober home's that are free? or very low cost? I am currently unemployed, but i get around 200 a week from unemployment. I have been looking for work, but its almost impossible to find a job. ( and yes, i even have gone to fast food, gas stations, janitorial, etc) Problem is, most of those jobs, either want inexperienced kids, or illegall's it seems. Anyhow, i think i really need a live in program. at least for a couple months. But, i just cannot afford one. I live in the south Florida area..any help would be great. thanks.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try the salvation army. I do H&I at one here in N. CA and I heard you earn your room and board by working for them. Good Luck. God Bless
Old 09-03-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Boy, I dunno... Salvation Army maybe? Anymore, even the treatment centers that get state or federal funding are disappearing... I've gotta assume it's hitting the sober living places even harder.

You might want to give AA a shot. You'll find there are a TON of ppl who found a FREE way to lose the entire compulsion to drink by working the specific program of recovery found in the AA Big Book. I'm not knocking halfway houses or rehab at all......but I know a fair number of folks who've done the rehab/halfway house deal and only ended up right back where they started....and continued on that cycle until they found their solution in the rooms of AA.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a silly question.. Where can i get this big book? Is it available online somewhere? is it free?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

free online: Big Book Online Fourth Edition

you can get it at meetings too (find one in your area here) Alcoholics Anonymous : How to Find A.A. Meetings -put in your zip... it'll direct you to a central office in your area...give them a call...they'll tell you about all the meetings near you, when they are, maybe even be able to arrange a ride to/from.
--I bought my first BB at Borders (long story - and it's WAYYY sillier than your question. LOL) but they're cheaper at the AA meetings by a pretty big margin.

*** the first 164 pages are the meat and potatoes. --don't skip the "Dr's Opinion" - it starts before "page 1 - Bill's Story" -personally, I recommend Dr Bob's Nightmare and AA #3's story here in addition to the first 164 pages: http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_personalstoriesi.cfm
Old 09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Wow,

I just checked over on Amazon--it's over 16 bucks there for the hardcover (lol, "discounted" from $24), but only $7.25 if you buy it at a meeting! (I'm the literature rep for my two homegroups.)
Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

This is my own personal favorite of the "stories": Acceptance Was The Answer

I'm ordering a couple of books by the author.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the link for the free online BB. I was given one at my second meeting by a lovely guy who did the chair. It was a brand new old copy lol which doesn't have the stories. Today I'm going through it for the third time but it's the first time I'm getting it. So greatful for the gift I got and what a gift. The opportunity for a permanent awakening.

Thanks because now I don't need to buy a second copy but can use that money on some other AA literature.

Annette