Notices

Paxil ?

Old 10-21-2003, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paxil ?

Has anyone on Paxil found a way to offset the lathargic feeling I get sometimes. I have changed to taking it at night because I was having this problem at work. In the morning I am not sleepy tired but, just can't drag myself out of bed and get going. I also need to take naps throughout the weekend. My wife complains but, i can't help it. Once I get going I get some energy. Today I asked the girl at CVS Pharmacy. She said there isn't much to do. She recomended a vitinum like 1 a day. She said only the regular because some of the special ones may affect my Paxil. That's a change asking advice . In the past I would have just grabed and hoped for the best.
Anway, I thought maybe I could get some ideas from you guys, Diet, foods etc. Thanks Don w
Old 10-21-2003, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Don,

I work with doctors who deal with medications. I listen when they tell me something in case it comes up here. The antidepressants are different. Some have a sedative effect and some give energy and some are neutral. Paxil is one that has a sedative effect. Prozac is one that is supposed to give energy. Celexa is one that is neutral and usually given to elderly patients. Talk to your doctor and let him know how you are feeling. What you are experiencing might not even have anything to do with your paxil. Maybe you just need the extra rest right now.

I hope you find the answer.

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-21-2003, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey Don,

I'm on Paxil CR. I find myself longing for naps more often than I used too. Taking vitamins helps me too. One that I take, and reccomend is Centrum Preformance. It has Ginsing and high levels of B vitamins in it, and it doesn't effect the Paxil. Another thing that helps me is to try to exercise at least 3 times a week (and I don't mean you have to go to a gym, just taking a walk for 30 minutes several times a week). That helps to build up my energy. Drink plenty of water, because it helps to flush out all the impurities in your body, and try to eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Avoid lots of salt. Salt makes you retain water which makes muscles sore and causes tiredness. High protein/low carb diets always give me more energy.

There are also medical conditions that can cause daytime tiredness, like Sleep Apnea, a highly undiagnosed sleep disorder that prevents the body from getting the proper rest, and your brain from getting the oxygen it needs at night to help you feel good during the day. I worked in a sleep disorder clinic, and this went highly diagnosed among people, because it happens even though you THINK you're getting enough sleep at night....then you wonder why you get so sleepy during the day??? Anyway, just a thought...in case you haven't thought about that.

Also, are you on regular Paxil, or Paxil CR? I am on Paxil CR and have experienced less side effects on it than I did on the regular kind.

And last but not least, like MG brought out, when you start to feel worn out, then REST whenever you can. Anytime you feel tired like that, it means your body is wanting more rest. You may just be worn out physically and mentally. That's what happened to me after I stopped drinking. I realized I was worn OUT....

Take care,

PG
Old 10-21-2003, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

I tried Paxil, but it really zoned me out, I felt like I was a walking zombie, I cut the pills in half then took them every other day. Didn't make me tired, just sort of felt slightly stoned! Didn't affect the depression at all.

MG, Interesting that Prozac acts more as a stimulant, cause it puts me to sleep! I have to make sure I take it by 7:30 PM or I can't wake up in the morning and am sleepy all day. I am thinking of doing every other day with it too. It is definately working tho!
Old 10-21-2003, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Carla,

The prozac has a very calming effect on me too. I too take mine every other day and only half at that. The main reason I do that is because it makes me yawn all the time if I take it the right way. I tried to explain that to my doctor and she did not believe me. I wake right up in the morning though and don't sleep at all during the day.

It works for me. I'm a lot easier to live with now.

Old 10-21-2003, 11:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friend In Recovery

My doctor prescribed Paxil for me back in December and everything was ok until he increased the dosage and then I had a bad reaction to it. The doctor then took me off of the Paxil and prescribed Effexor which I had no problem with. I am not taking it now but when I was it helped me tremendously. This is just my experience though. I would suggest talking to your doctor about it if you haven't already.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone, I am going to seeing my VA doctor November 4th, so I'll talk to him.
I find one of the most difficult part is finding out what is causing what. I have been tossing and turning and waking up during night. However, I beat my body and pushed it so much maybe it is just enjoying the rest. I have to say that I do enjoy the moments just sort of mellowing out. I am 55 and maybe the sugar in the alcohol gave me alot of false energy. Sometimes when I lay there I feel I should be doing something but, I enjoy the fact that I don't have to. I used to drag myself out of bed to go to the bar because I felt I had to. I do use much of the down time for praying and meditation. See what I mean? maybe I am making something out of a normal reaction. I do work very hard at the hospital and have to make stressful decision. Maybe I just never listened to my body before. Have to go back to work I'll check later. Don W