Notices

SMART meetings-help!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SMART meetings-help!

I am again, at around 10 days sober after a 1 day slip. I've looked into SMART since my first day sober before the slip and I like what I have read. Problem being that the only meeting is 2 hours away one way (4 hours of driving total plus gas expense).
I also attend meeting at another infomral group for those who have been abused/ had to deal with those who are obessed with religion. There are a couple others besides me who have had a problem with alcohol. I talked to them about SMART and we have agreed to share expenses and driving, seeing as we are all alone. If that doesn't work out, I hope that the 3 of us can at least meet once a week. My question is, HOW do we get a weekly SMART meeting going here? None of us are in any stage of recovery to be helping others yet.Nor are we familair with the process, though the process sounds logical to us. So do we contact them hoping there is a representative in our area? I have thought about going to the meeting 2 hours away and asking if there is anyone willing to help start a meeting on our area. I dont want to say where I am, but, it is a significantly large area. There are AA meetings every hour of the day in the daytime. So it would seem it wouldn't be that hard to find enough others of like mind to get some SMART meetings going. Any advice?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would contact SMART, they must have some sort of hotline??? Ask how to get a group started. Even though you are new to recovery that doesn't mean (IMO) that you can't start a group in your area...it is in helping each other that we often find our strength...I think that is something we all find through our interactions here on SR.

let us know how it goes!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smart also has a forum similar to this one that I visit as well. SMART Self-Management And Recovery Training - Powered by vBulletin
Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you! I am checking it out now
Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SMART also has online text and voice chat meetings daily. I have been going into the chat text meetings around 8pm EST (I don't use the same screen name there that I use here). There is official check-in and the moderator asks about any issues for the day. There is also a way to get verification of attendance for those who need it. SMART helps me fill in the gaps where I somewhat disagree with AA philosophy.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are planning for long term sobriety....

Please see if this link has information
on how to begin a meeting.

SMART RecoveryŽ | Self Help for Alcoholism & Addiction