Notices

After Years of Sobriety..

Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Draciack View Post

... How do you account for individuals that work the Steps, have a spiritual awakening, but eventually "go out" again?
That is an easy one for me to answer. When I started experiencing the promises (160 of them so far). There were some of them I never wanted but got as "part of the package", so to speak. Some of them were kind of like new addictions that I had not bargained for:

"We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change".

I have tried to ignore them but found that if I do, I start to feel "restless, irritable and discontent" just like I would a few days before I would experience a relapse. If I were to go back to living a self-centered life, I expect it would drive me back to drinking eventually because it goes against my new purpose in life.

This might sound like swapping addictions to some, but at least my new addictions don't have negative consequences associated with them and sometimes lead me to this 12th step promise:

"Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives."
(page 89)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

In my experience I've always felt like I've had the choice whether or not I was going to start drinking, where rational choice went away is deciding when to stop. However, I'm in the vast minority group of this forum in the weekend binger category. I didn't drink during the week based on choice just like I chose to drink on the weekend and now how I am choosing not to drink at all.

Many here do not think it is a choice whether they drink and it seems like most were/are of the everyday drunk variety. I think the background of the individual weighs significantly in the opinion of whether we have choice or not. I really dislike the notion that we do not have a choice (so does the legal system ha), but then again I do not believe in an omnipotent god character either.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by lildawg View Post
Lexie, you could have been talking about me in your post. I think it's crazy that I have so much in common with you on this one issue. Having read your story, I know we are very different.

Though I was very sick when I quit drinking, I wasn't at the point where I couldn't stay sober without working a program. If you are not a "real" alcoholic, I guess I am not either. <grins>

Coming to SR and meeting other people who seemed so happy in their sobriety inspired me to try to do more. Like you, I believe working the Steps will set me free (of myself) in some way.

I think I am making a decision not to pick up the first drink. I know if I ever pick up the first drink, all decisions are made. I am powerless over alcohol; therefore, my only choice is to avoid it. Even though I used the word "powerless," I wonder if I am not using it the wrong way. I wonder if I am not truly powerless since I choose to shun alcohol.

It's a confusing issue to me, one that makes me feel dumb. I think I'll blame it on the time I hit my head while I was drinking.
I don't know that, in the end, it makes a lot of difference. For MY purposes, in MY recovery, I'm as real as I care to become. I don't care to go out and do more drinking just so I can proudly declare myself a REAL alcoholic.

Remember the story about the Velveteen Rabbit? Once he accepted he was Real, he WAS. (Yes, I know the Velveteen Rabbit is not conference-approved literature.)
Old 08-31-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Great thread.
Thank you.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
(Yes, I know the Velveteen Rabbit is not conference-approved literature.)
Yeah, but far more applicable and spiritual than some other conference approved stuff.