Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Assuming no one gets hurt physically, can a DUI be a positive thing?

Notices

Assuming no one gets hurt physically, can a DUI be a positive thing?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It became a good side effect, but my point is that the dui did not stop or make me want to stop my drinking. I continued for 6 months after that. Everyone has there own low that gets them sober. You hear about this all the time in AA meetings. some people never have legal or medical issues that cause them to get sober... those issues did not make me choose sobriety. I chose sobriety at first from guilt. Pure moral guilt. My boyfriend, whom loves me dearly and I love dearly literally thought I was dead! I never wanted to make someone else feel that way again. And so the day I stopped drinking was for that reason. Since I have learned that I can only stay sober if i'm doing it for myself. There may come a day when I am all that I have, and if i didn't get sober for myself ... then it would be hard to stay sober when no one is else was around anymore. So everyday I wake up is another day I can thank God for showing me that.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It can be a catalyst for a positive change in lifestyle, at least for me it has been so far...but yea, I would not recommend it at all.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drank for 3 more years....hell, I drank harder...
Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
High on Life

I'm facing DUI #2, and even after that one I continued drinking for another 3 weeks. What made me want to stop was my last recent 2 day binge had way too many repercussions. Everything is all messed up now, but I'm frankly just sick and tired of being sick and tired. Thats the way I feel now, but who knows how I will feel tomorrow. Today is day 2 of sobriety and I'm still in limbo with my job, the courts, my lover and all of my friends are pretty disappointed in me too, but now my sister is in my corner now and I will get through this some how, but if I contine to drink I will just make things worse. So to answer your question, a DUI is never a good thing in my opinion, unless you're not an alcoholic and you actually learn from the experience.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hey TheEnd, congrats on your new start. I too quit due to the impacts of my binge drinking. Personally, I found that doing one day sober at a time and counting them was very helpful near the beginning and for quite some time. I don't count any more but I do look at the sobertime calculator here every now and then. Check it out - it goes all the way down to the heartbeat level. You can learn a lot about how to stay sober here and how to deal with your life. You're in the right place. Welcome.