Notices

It get's worse

Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Meerkat1 View Post

However, consider yourself in the situation where as a fine upstanding member of society you attend a party or reception and unintentionally exceed the drink drive limit. You have a clean record and driving license, were fully capable of the task in hand but have exceeded the limit due to a stupid error of judgement. How would you feel being punished on the strength of what might have happened instead of what did ?
I thought you had a fight with your wife, she had to call the cops and they popped you when you were in the car?

On another note, are you saying it would have been cool had the cops busted you as you drove down the street but since they got you before you actually drove it shouldn't count? Weren't you planning on driving away? Even if you weren't planning on driving, here in the states (Michigan, anyway) if you're IN your vehicle and the police can find the keys anywhere in the vehicle or on your person, it's a dui (even if you're in the back seat sleeping and the keys are in the trunk)

Originally Posted by Meerkat1 View Post
I had envisaged it latterly more as debate regarding positive reasons for stopping drinking
Here's the most positive reason I know to stop drinking: I don't drink the way I drank anymore.

--secondarily: I don't get dui's anymore, I don't get arrested anymore, I don't fight with my (ex)wife anymore, I don't argue with neighbors anymore, I enjoy my days at a level I never really could before.