Notices

Sobriety brings retrospection

Old 08-22-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety brings retrospection

Good Day Folks,

Thanks to all of you for visiting, posting, and helping everyone out on this site.

After 35 days of sobriety, I've become a little more daring by socializing the way I used to but without drinking alcohol. Instead, I'll have mineral water with lemon, sweet tea, or any number of excellent choices.

Anyway, during these gatherings, I'm realizing I've become a better conversationalist: more attentive, more relaxed, more eye contact, and maybe more importantly, I'm not trying to rush off to get another drink.

I also remember everything the next day - what a change.

I question myself constantly now. Questions start like, "In the past, if I wasn't doing this right now I'd be ____________". Many times, the answer is drinking.

Or, "Remember, I used to ______________ instead of doing what I'm doing right now." The answer to this one may not be "drinking" but almost always is a by-product of drinking - lay around all day with a hangover or stay home instead of playing with my kids, etc.

This self-questioning helps me stay on track and realize how much better life is without alcohol.

I may be babbling or this may not make sense but I've been drinking for more than half my life (just shy of 30 years ). It's so strange to me. Almost as if I've broken out of a cocoon and I'm just entering society as the real me.

It's still me! I have the same sense of humor, the same social skills but I'm sober. What a feeling!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No good to linger on the past, Alc-o-Naut. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

It is what it is, and what counts is what you do going forward. Glad you're still you!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice post! I totally agree that I spend a lot of time thinking about my past vs. my current state. And, its not a bad thing. Sure I have my days of feeling down about the position I was once in etc, but for the most part I look back in time and say-wow-how awesome is this now!

Recently I have been going to more social functions with some freinds that know about my sobriety and my goals. I have been in situations where people are drinking and I think about how glad I am to be sober. No more making a fool of myself. I actually have great conversations with my freinds. I am not trying to maintain my balance because I am so drunk and worried others will notice that I am, once again, in that state.

Great job on your progress and keep up taking notice of those great things in your life such as the changes you mentioned. Hang on to those experiences and you will notice more like that in the days to come.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are enjoying the new sober life..

Blessings to you and your family
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

l think about the past far to much too.
All the bad things that have happened because of my drinking. ( and "what if l had...)
l know it has no use, but l just can't help but feeling guilty.
What is done is done.
Maybe it will get better with time...
Wish you the best.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Then the bird said 'Nevermore'

keep up the great work! staying on track with your sobriety brings only better days to come for your self and everyone around the REAL you

xoxo
Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlcoholicOrNot View Post
It's so strange to me. Almost as if I've broken out of a cocoon and I'm just entering society as the real me.
Good for you on 35 days! Your quote above describes very well how I've felt, I quit drinking when I was 50 and feel like finally in the last 3 years the 'real me' has finally emerged, and she's not so bad!