SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Afraid (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/207474-afraid.html)

SilentEyes 08-20-2010 08:35 PM

Afraid

Hello everyone I haven't been around here for awhile. I've been wanting to quit drinking for the last couple of years I keep going back and forth. I have never really tried to quit drinking before it was just a thought and now that I'm actually gonna try after all this time is scary......I'm scared about withdrawal if it will even happen, I don't know. I'm thankful for the presence of such support here I'm gonna try to hang around more than I used to. I'm just scared and confused. I'm drinking the last of my alcohol tonight and start day one tomorrow the first day one I've had in over 5 years....wish me luck any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :tapedshut

DogTrainer 08-20-2010 08:43 PM

Good luck and congratulations for taking that first step. There are so many encouraging people on this forum.

Keep posting and let us know how it goes tomorrow!

artsoul 08-20-2010 08:45 PM

Hi SilentEyes - I can relate and remember how scared I was. I was almost detached from myself just posting on SR for the first time - like it was a dream. I didn't know if I could stop, didn't know if I wanted to, and didn't know what to expect with withdrawals. I was so relieved to pass that 5th or 6th day without anything like DT's. If you think you might be in danger of having really bad withdrawals, it's best to see a doctor, so keep that in mind. Of course, you probably already know all that.

It also helped me to understand that a lot of the anxiety I had was a direct effect of alcohol on my nervous system. If you can get through the first few days, it will get so much better and you'll feel calmer and stronger.

When you start day 1 tomorrow, tell yourself that the only thing you have to do that day is to get through the net 24 hours sober. Hang out here and post/read..... whatever it takes to get through the next minute or the next hour. You can do this - and we're behind you all the way!:ghug3

Dee74 08-20-2010 09:37 PM

Artsoul's already given the good advice :)

Seeing a Dr is always the best option.

Looking for a recovery group is also a good idea - SR is great but don't discount the face to face groups if you find you need a little more support.

It is scary - but you're not alone - lots of folks here know what you're going through :)
There's a lot of understanding and support here 24/7

D

Ghostly 08-20-2010 10:00 PM

Hey Silent. Congrats on your decision. The only way to do it is to just do it, which of course is easier said. I didn't have any withdrawals. Best bet is to seek medical advice though.

Good luck. You truly can do this. Keep us posted.

CarolD 08-21-2010 12:26 AM

Welcome back SE......:wave:

Here is a good link with info and some of our experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Please notice that not everyone had the same de tox symptoms
And yes....it's always wise to have medical supervision

Be both safe and sober....:yup:

Glad you are heading into a sober future
All my best

Kmber2010 08-21-2010 12:36 AM

Welcome and glad you have made this life changing decision. I was scared too. I struggled with quitting and debating it for about a year until 1 day I said no more and tossed it out. I was just so sick of it and I came to SR and held on those first days.

It will get better, my anxiety/panic attacks became almost non existent. Actually, I have never had a panic attack sober just some mild anxiety when I hit some rough patches. Nothing that I can't handle. It took my a while to see that the self medicating I did in the later years of my drinking were actually causing the anxiety.

Insomnia and confusion got better day by day and my life now 4 months sober is better then I ever could have imagined.

Stay strong and get whatever support you feel will help you make the positive lifestyle changes.

You are here and this site has been a blessing to me. As you can see I still come to SR. I wouldn't honestly have been able to get started without the guidance and advice of the SR community. It reassured me that I wasn't alone which was the hardest thing I faced when I got off the sauce.

If you ever question your health please seek out medical advice.

Glad you are here!!! Stay the course :)

SilentEyes 08-21-2010 07:14 AM

Thanks everyone...Woke up about an hour ago blue skies went outside and fed the birds and stopped for a minute at our sunflowers such beauty! I don't know what the day has in store for me but that's ok I'm here......I'm sure I'll be back on later Thanks again