Notices

Pets and Recovery

Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pets and Recovery

In the time I've been here, I've noticed that a lot of us have pets...I have two dogs Summer and Sargent (just made an album of their pictures:-).

Anyway, not only are animals big helpers in terms of recovery, I know that mine were very effected by my alcoholism. Summer (my Ridgeback) was depressed, when I would drink she would cry sometimes, it broke my heart despite the fact that I kept drinking and had some aggression issues, Sargent (my mutt) was destructive.

I can tell they are happier and healthier today, I am present and taking better care of them.

While we can only get sober for ourselves, I know that their well being was a major factor in my own desire to get better.

Anyone else want to share?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

Yes, I soooo agree that pets play an integral role in recovery. I know when I've been enmeshed in my sister's alcoholism--upset, crying, brooding, whatever--my cat senses that I am not feeling well and does things to help me feel better--cuddles up against me, presses against my side, head, licks my face. It is like she is comforting me. I am in the process of detaching from my sister's active alcoholism, and thus I'm finding how many hours / days I have wasted being upset / feeling helpless over a situation I cannot change...Now when AS pushes my buttons, I find it easier to detach and focus on my life, myself, my kitty, my husband, and our life together. It is nice to have a predictable routine with her--we play fetch, I brush her, we cuddle, and we deepen our mutual bond with each other. And it is so comforting to me (and to her, I assume) to have those routines in times of stress. My kitty brings me so much love and joy--I could not live without her--she is the four-legged love of my life.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sure, without question. Having contact with another living thing, that expected nothing but unconditional love and then returned it, was very soothing, reassuring, regenerative in early sobriety, and even now... Our farm cat, that adopted us a few years back... she and I had a relationship that no one else in my family experienced... one of mutual respect, if such a thing is possible... Alas, she's not been around for a couple of weeks and I fear the worst.

We also adopted a stray lab/shepard mix... she's needs lots of reassurance, she must have had a hard road... I find it rewarding to offer it to her.

All people, I am sure, experience this benefit.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've always had my 3 cats and felt they deserved the best of care, even though i am sure i didn't provide as well as I could if i was drunk.

glad to say that today that is not the case.

In May I decided that I would be able to care for a dog too. (my previous Akita had to be put to rest in 2006)...I adopted a little rescue dog (Pom) i located on Pet Finder. i've never had a small dog, he'swonderful! he had a difficult time previously, now he knows he is in his "Forever Home". He keeps me responsible, he keeps me active, we take big walks early AM which is kind of my meditation time...I know this was the right decision to keep me actively recovering and ward off depression.

LaFemme, great topic for discussion, thanks!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

PS....your paintings of the horses are beautiful too.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My dogs are my life. Hoss is the nurse in the house (and he be the man too) and licks all wounds. Belle is the comedian and can make me laugh. Kodi is Little Miss Perfect and always tries to please and is ready to beat the snot out of anyone who does not listen to what "Momma" says.

They put up with a lot of missed dinners when I passed out on the couch and never complained. Many years ago when I was at a neighbors with Belle and we walked home (next door, but about 1,000 feet away) I fell down in the driveway. I do not know how long I was there, but woke up to Belle barking and licking my face!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

DT, I used to feed my dogs too much out of guilt that I was a drunk Mom!

Fandy, my friends always said I took better care of my dogs then myself, and while it's true they always got their annual checkups (I couldn't get mine because I was scared of what the Doctor would say) I certainly neglected their emotional needs.

Thanks about the paintings...they are life size:-)
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have 3 cats in the house today (never was a big cat fan). They have been a big help around here... gives me something to kick around when things don't go my way.

Brian

P.S. SETTLE DOWN, I'm just kidding!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, for sure. I love animals, such unconditional companions they are. I have a cat that's borderline human. He's so clever and seriously silly. He seems to like me better when I don't reek like brew 24/7. In the mornings hes all happy when I wake up and he gets some attention, and it's nice to wake up rested like he is instead of hungover and pissed off. I posted a few pics of him on pg 6 and 7 of the 'cat fanciers group' thread a few weeks ago.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Brian; <SLAP>! you had me going.....

TN, your kitty is a handsome boy...my boy Fandy (who is my avatar) is very human too, very smart and 1/2 siamese..he woke me up the other morning early by chewing/pulling on my hair...because the kibble bowl was empty....it's like the others sent him in to get me...everyone was impatiently waiting in the kitchen for breakfast at 5AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have a Pomeranian named Angel. She's been with me since she was 3.5, and, now she's almost 16. She's blind and deaf now. She can't rear up on me anymore, and I carry her most everywhere she goes. Sometimes I can tell she's confused. Each little sign of aging reminds me I won't have her much longer.

I mourn that I spent so many years being drunk and neglecting her. Sure, I fed her and kept her watered, but I rarely played with her or paid much attention to her.

I am a jerk and a horrible, horrible person.

The only way I know to make amends for this is to make what time she has left as easy as possible. My dog lives the life of a queen. She has become my best friend since I got sober.

I often joke that this dog is the only person who really loves me after everything that has gone on. Losing her will make a permanent hole in my heart.

My little dog -- a heartbeat at my feet. ~ Edith Wharton
Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the dog I adopted in May is a purebred Pom....Sammy he's a little blond/white/red boy, 4 years old...the original owners left him outside in all kinds of weather, never neutered him or trained him....In the last 10 weeks with a little patience, positive reenforcement, and him wanting to please, he has turned into a wonderful pet. i give him lots of attention and so do my cats.

my oldest cat, Slim is a 14 year old Maine Coon...he is very Rule 62, laid back and wise...he has seen everything and never judged, he occasionally slaps me with his paw, but for the most part he is just there with me through everything.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lildawg View Post
I am a jerk and a horrible, horrible person.
No you are not! Dogs live in the present, so your little Pom knows that you are the best thing in the world, and knows that she is loved more than anything in the world!!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

DogTrainer, thank you so much for saying that. I was feeling guilty and needed to hear it. You're right. All she knows is that she's getting her way 90% of the time.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey lildawg...our pets are our guardian angels, so I'm sure your little dog is pleased as punch she has watched over you to the point where you are now sober...she must be so proud of you.

Texas, your cat is very handsome!

How do you get pictures in your replies??? I can't figure it out:-(
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Hey lildawg...our pets are our guardian angels, so I'm sure your little dog is pleased as punch she has watched over you to the point where you are now sober...she must be so proud of you.

Texas, your cat is very handsome!

How do you get pictures in your replies??? I can't figure it out:-(
One of the free hosting sites...I use Photobucket. You upload the image then copy the URL of the pic and post in your message.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The IMG code I meant.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Actually, 1 of my cats is pregnant right now. It's the second litter of kittens since we've had her. I know, I'm not being a responsible pet owner, but I sooo love the cute little kitties.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brian
Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

We love our dogs! They keep us humble and in the present. They never fail to make us smile when we need it the most. They know exactly when you need a lil extra love and don't talk bad about us!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow blackstrat... that dog on the left, the yellow lab/shepherd mix?... looks sooooo much like my lab/shepherd... uncanny actually... except mine (annie, after little orphan... she was abandoned) has a curly Q tail, pretty ridiculous, actually.