Notices

Sugar

Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar

Is it normal to crave sugary snacks in alcohol withdrawal. Am on day 10 and am really craving sugary sweets. Did anyone else have this, and did it go away? Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have also craved sugar more than normal. I have read here that it is normal, and although I don't normally eat sweets, (Low carb guy), I have been having a candy bar or ice cream a little more often. Funny thing is I'm still losing weight being that I have cut out the booze.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep it's normal, your body converted alcohol to sugar so now it wants that sugar. I went threw a ton of ice cream that first month, but ice cream will not hurt your liver or cause you to miss work, wreck cars, and say things you regret :-)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh ya!!! I'm into my 7 months and my body still LOVES the sugar!! although not like at the beginning!!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've heard that it is normal but that you should be careful because it could trigger cravings...in that way it can be dangerous.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've heard that sweets can cause alcohol cravings, but I've never experienced this--in fact, I've experienced the opposite. When I have a craving for a glass of wine, a dish of ice cream or a mug of hot cocoa makes the craving for alcohol go away. I'm really enjoying these little sweet treats--it's part of the pleasure of being abstinent.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very common...

I happily gorged myself...although looking at myself in the mirror now, I feel a bit of moderation and self control might not be the worst idea

It didn't make me crave....quite the opposite

D
Old 08-18-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

very normal
as a newcomer,I was told to keep some candy around.I ate plenty of ice cream too.Now,22 yrs later,I still eat plenty of ice cream.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

LOL... my sugar-drive didn't REALLY kick in until I got my 2yr token. I lot of aa ppl I know get it around a year to a year and a half. It's tooooooooootally common. Like Dee said though, we alcoholic types tend to do things to extreme so watch that waistline!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My sugar craving didn't kick in until I had been sober for a year. I am not even sure it would have kicked in then. What happened is, I started having some female problems and got a shot of depo provera to see if it would help. The only thing the depo provera did, though, was help me start craving sugar. I ended up having to have surgery a month later for the female problems.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yeah... i love me the sugar sweets. mmmmmmmm

if my body gets a physical craving, a good resees peanut butter cup sundae always makes the endorphins kick into overdrive.

I've always been of the frame of mind that if it's worth doing...it's worth overdoing :rotfxko ...so i put on a few pounds when i got sober but i also exercise alot so it wasn't that hard for me to drop the excess weight.

most of us are hypoglycemic to some degree and we really benefit from small frequent meals and alot of fruit in lieu of candy.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
if it's worth doing...it's worth overdoing :rotfxko
ah yes.... the universal battle-cry of every alcoholic/addict on the planet.

there's got to be a "you might be an alcoholic if" joke in there somewhere.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

there's got to be a "you might be an alcoholic if" joke in there somewhere.
very true :rotfxko
Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I eat sweets like crazy. They help my withdrawal.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The first few weeks it was these cookie biscuits with a layer of really good dark chocolate on them..I found myself stockpiling cookies..I bought 8 boxes. with summer I stock up on fresh fruit, cherries are one of the lowest on the glycemic index...(i have to watch my glucose)

the real cravings have tapered off and i now eat much less sugar, but still enjoy a small dish of ice cream before bed (helps me sleep) and a few twizzlers...and have lost 13# in 6 months.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I pretty much lived on chocolate the first year especially M&Ms, massive quantities (previously didn't know M&Ms were sold in 4 pound bags!!! went through about 2 bags a week)! I gained 25 pounds but it was still better than what I'd been doing and it didn't make me crave alcohol at all. I've since cut out 99% of all sugars and lost all the weight but I'd do it again if I had to choose between alcohol and chocolate-- CHOCOLATE RULES.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Puddings, desserts, i never used to bother with,whilst drinking, now look forward to them often, a little pick me up..., i think all needed to replace the vacume left by alcohol..a little treat here an there help a lot.