Notices

Facing grief without a drink........

Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm going through it....not ignoring the grief, or drinking it "away" it's sad and I can cry at the drop of a hat, I guess that's what I'm supposed to do...I just worry that I will stay sad forever if I let it go....(the tears) she was a special little friend..and I miss her love...but by drinking certainly wouldn't honour her memory....
Thanks everyone...xoxoxo I will stay strong!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post

Would any of you have suggestions on how to deal with these emotions?? I've been crying so much....
Detachment is so important to my recovery that I have come to think of it as a "end of suffering program' since I have learned how to use it. The Eastern religions figured it out at least 2,500 years ago. Spiritual growth occurs from struggles followed by detachment (surrender).

To start off, I learned to detach from my old ideas, like the idea I could control my drinking. I then worked my way up to deeper and deeper misconceptions that I have had since I was a child. Now I am trying to detach from all forms of judgment, even positive thinking.

All expectations are seeds for resentment.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

LO2L so sorry for your loss. The first week I was sober my beloved schnauzer of 12 yrs passed away after an 8 mth illness, I cried daily for weeks and still get misty eyed nearly 3 yrs later. I was hospitalized for a week before she died due to an overdose and for a long time I felt if I had been there caring for her she wouldn't have gone down hill like she did; her passing strengthened my resolve to not drink partially as an honor to her. Then 5 months after I stopped drinking my mother died, my family all expected that could cause me to go back to drinking; but again my mothers death strengthened me as I choose to truly honor her by not drinking. Let yourself cry, as much as you need, your kitty may be gone from this earth but you will always have her in your heart.