Notices

Meditation is changing my life!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Meditation is changing my life!

I know it's not long, but I'm going strong on day 9, and I just have to say that meditating every day is completely changing the way I think and feel. I am finally gaining back control of my thoughts and life!
I feel stronger and calmber. I am so grateful for life right now.

Just wanted to share, because maybe someone else out there is looking for ways to find peace again. Try giving meditation a strong shot. It's working miracles for me! Hope all is well with everyone

Old 08-13-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wonderful! If you want to share what techniques or CDs you're using, I'd be interested.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lildawg View Post
Wonderful! If you want to share what techniques or CDs you're using, I'd be interested.
I was having a hard time doing it myself, so I decided to start using guided meditations. Do you have an ipod...? They have free podcasts that you can download onto it.
I'm using a podcast called Meditation Oasis and it is amazing! There are many different meditations you can use. And the lady that guides you is so helpful and calming.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

for sharing your solid progress with us!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Holly, I would not be here without meditation. You could say it saved my life. Don't give up on learning un-guided meditation. Even if it is just for a few minutes a day. You will get stronger at it.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He only recovered alcoholic I know in real life swears by daily meditation. He also does a lot of bikrahm yoga.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was just looking at a short class in our community for meditation! I've tried it in the past(still drinking) and couldn't do it! Thank-you for the inspiration! I'm going to give it another try!! yoga sounds great too!!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Even though I use meditation, I am not sure it is the same meditation that others speak of. I learned it by listening to Deepak Chopra's audio books over and over again until it eventually sank in, and I found myself able to stop my mind in between thoughts (what Deepak calls the Gap).

The main benefit for me is that when I find I am deeply upset, I can turn my mind off for a while and take a mini-vacation. When I was drinking, I used vodka to take a mini-vacation. I guess I am using meditation for the same effect that I used vodka but I don't need to worry about the consequences of it.

I never went for a ride in a police car or ambulance as result of meditating (LOL!).
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Even though I use meditation, I am not sure it is the same meditation that others speak of. I learned it by listening to Deepak Chopra's audio books over and over again until it eventually sank in, and I found myself able to stop my mind in between thoughts (what Deepak calls the Gap).

The main benefit for me is that when I find I am deeply upset, I can turn my mind off for a while and take a mini-vacation. When I was drinking, I used vodka to take a mini-vacation. I guess I am using meditation for the same effect that I used vodka but I don't need to worry about the consequences of it.

I never went for a ride in a police car or ambulance as result of meditating (LOL!).
Taking a mini-vacation from thoughts sounds very much like meditation! Isn't it amazing I too use to use vodka to do that. And now I am finding that I am able to calm my mind without the drink. It is an amazing feeling!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Hollybear
It's great to hear you and others are feeling the benefits of meditation. I tried to meditate for years as an alcoholic but was never able to have any consistency and seldom managed to do it longer than a few days (usually too hungover or too much alcohol in my bloodstream).

After I stopped drinking six months ago (thanks to my HP) I decided to start meditating and doing Kriya yoga, which incorporates breathing and meditation. I have just passed 100 consecutive days of meditation and, together with the pranayama, it has made a huge difference in my life (which you have described).

Of course I don't want to tell anyone what to do in recovery, but for me meditation has been an invaluable pathway to renewal, and an unforgettable friend in helping me discover sobriety. I wish you and others here on the same journey peace and happiness.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Meditation has been great for me too...I don't do it daily yet but working up to it