Notices

Antabuse/Disulfiram

Old 09-10-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
skg

Hi. New to the board, not new to the plight.

Antabuse definitely will interfere with consumption, but it will not reduce the cravings. It just made me violently sick every time I drank on it--so I quit taking it. I got so I could take it after the remorse of the weekend, stop taking it by Tuesday, and could drink with only MINOR sickness, headaches, nausea and vomiting by Friday.
Yep, I'm alcoholic.

I also took Campral, which was supposed to limit the craving. It just made me not want to go anywhere or do anything--even get off the couch, so I brought my booze to the couch.

The directions are clear, the contraindications DEAD on, and it's possible to experience death if drinking on Antabuse--or at least consider it as an option while convulsing. I never was much for authority or direction unless it was my own, so I failed. And quit taking Antabuse because it was interfering with my drinking.

I eventually started taking suggestions from the AAers--turned out being the easier, softer way for me...
Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's now been 17 days since I've taken Antabuse. I just drank 2 beers and felt the effect still. Just a warning to those thinking they can be off for a short time and drink.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

May I ask why you were drinking beer if you wanted to stop so badly that you took Antabuse to prevent it?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Beard82......are you now convinced that drinking
is harmful for you?
Wishing you the best...hope you finally quit soon
Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 223 View Post
Antabuse for me anyways took away my usual "late afternoon decision" I'd wake up each morning swearing not drink that day but by 5pm I would change my mind.

I also tested it. I searched the internet to find out the "answer I wanted". It really works as advertised so heed CarolD's warning.
This sounds exactly like me.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
May I ask why you were drinking beer if you wanted to stop so badly that you took Antabuse to prevent it?
Personally, I don't think drinking is necessarily all bad, but uncontrolled drinking leads to disaster. IMHO, if he can use it to get back in control, that's fine.

I know that runs counter to a lot of other people's views.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

It also runs counter to the manufacturers instructions, Glenbob.

ANTABUSE tablets are indicated to act as a deterrent to alcohol consumption and an aid in the overall management of selected chronic alcoholic patients involved in an integrated programme of counselling and psychiatry. Only alcoholic patients who are motivated to abstain from drinking and who are undergoing supportive psychotherapeutic treatment, ancillary to a total programme of rehabilitation, should be selected for ANTABUSE administration.
Welcome to SR
D
Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Doctors can give differing instructions, if they wish.

Also, philosophically, I realize that manufacturers instructions (for anything from shampoo to light bulbs) are written primarily for the purposes of the manufacturer, to prevent lawsuits and where possible to maximize income.

I remember my hard-of-hearing ex-wife being opposed to using a $19.99 novelty strobe light to signal whether the phone was ringing because it had a disclaimer saying "Not to be used as a signaling device". She insisted we instead get an identical unit labeled as a deaf signaling device that did not have the disclaimer, that cost 5 times as much. in this case, the company realized that they had potential liability if a missed signal caused some type of harm, and they built in the cost of potential lawsuits into the more expensive unit.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It also runs counter to the manufacturers instructions, Glenbob.

Welcome to SR
D
Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I swear by Naltrexone, have you asked your doctor about it if the Antibuse isn't working?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TwoJacks View Post
I swear by Naltrexone, have you asked your doctor about it if the Antibuse isn't working?
I spoke to the doctor about it, I think.

Is it the one that is good for cravings?

I don't crave alcohol so much as I dread trying to sleep with my normal anxiety. My dread is not bad in the morning, so I take the Antibuse then.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glenbob View Post
Personally, I don't think drinking is necessarily all bad, but uncontrolled drinking leads to disaster. IMHO, if he can use it to get back in control, that's fine.

I know that runs counter to a lot of other people's views.
That is an understatement! If you are alcoholic, you will never regain "control". Antabuse can kill you if you drink while taking it, though I've met folks who swear they can do so. AFAIK, its not prescribed as much as it used to be.