Notices

Mind Altering Substance-Pot-Caffeine-Nicotine

Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I can't speak for AA, but there are people in the recovery community that think that consuming caffeine, sugar, nicotine and pot make the likelihood of relapse far more likely due to biochemical factors.
Well, I don't think AA has too much problem with the first three... Cake is often found by the coffee, and you can always go outside for a smoke, if you want. I think if there is a good program of recovery... sugar, caffeine and nicotine probably don't have too much of an effect on relapse... there are far more powerful forces at work with relapse... untreated alcoholism is probably the main one.

Pot... No one speaks for AA... But I think it s*cks, always did and I don't think that the often described marijuana maintenance is very successful.

Mark
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Would it not depend on what you are attempting to quit..... I gave up cigarettes years ago, alcohol very recently.... As for coffee,chocolate etc, it causes me no problems, so I take it when I wish, should it become a problem in my life then I will attempt to quit....If its not broke, it doesn't require fixing!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Smile awhile

i been sober for 34 years, and no has arrested me for drinking coffee. Anyway how "extreme" can some get. Its like on this site. If I were to post "other" things not pertaining I probably would get and ousted from this site. One has to just "let it happen" "let go and let GOD" - whew, I love it because its simple and I can relate it.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts-

My question is Sobriety-My understanding from AA is AA is for a single purpose alcohol.

I am in OA also for that purpose. My OA group does not consider me "not in abstinence" when I drink alcohol.

My intent to get and stay sober.

If "any mind" altering substance can not be used. How are you "not sober" if you use pot but you "are sober" if you use a psychoactive drug like Caffeine and Nicotine?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuzieQT View Post

If "any mind" altering substance can not be used. How are you "not sober" if you use pot but you "are sober" if you use a psychoactive drug like Caffeine and Nicotine?
One may consider themselves sober if they drink coffee, I would guess most would.... but some may not... it is up to the individual... I am not here to judge your sobriety, especially as pertains to these substances...

I think you are reading too much into it / trying too hard here suzie...

I drink lots of coffee and the occasional monster... I am sober... are you to say I am not ?

It's all good... Keep posting
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

How about YOU be the sober of your understanding and allow others to do the same?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Like many have said above anything that gets you in that escape reality state is a big no no and a reset of your sober time.

Weed for me was as bad or worse than booze. Today I sit hear closing down on more than 3 months free from both and I am still having a real tough time with the weed.

It is on my mind so much more than booze and I am finding myself in major danger mode all the time right now due to where I live and the time of year it is.

Its everywhere right now and when I go outside it is all I can smell in the air....
Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mat

Originally Posted by bcboy View Post
Like many have said above anything that gets you in that escape reality state is a big no no and a reset of your sober time.

Weed for me was as bad or worse than booze. Today I sit hear closing down on more than 3 months free from both and I am still having a real tough time with the weed.

It is on my mind so much more than booze and I am finding myself in major danger mode all the time right now due to where I live and the time of year it is.

Its everywhere right now and when I go outside it is all I can smell in the air....
I sympathize with your issues with MJ, but to say that anything which "gets you in that escape from reality state is a reset of sober time" is patently absurd. Each individual has to draw the line for themselves somewhere and for you perhaps this *is* that place, but for many people, myself included, escaping reality helps me maintain my sobriety. Reading a book, playing World of Warcraft, etc.(all escapes from reality) These things all help take the edge off of the reality that I am NOT gonna be having that 6-pack tonight.

I have been smoking MJ for a long time, though not anymore for the reasons I cited in my post on page 1. For me personally, playing 2 rounds of Starcraft on B.net is 100x the escape from reality that smoking pot would provide me.

Escapes from reality are a VERY healthy thing when done in moderation, it only becomes a problem when you never want to come back.

It's different for everyone, I suppose.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Heathen

My definition of clean and sober is mine alone. I would re-set my sober time if I smoked weed, not if I had a macchiato.

Smoking weed and claiming sobriety makes as much sense to ME, as quitting drinking and maintaining a little heroin habit, and claiming I'm sober.

But that's my sobriety, no one elses. Enjoy your own!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If I used any drug.....not prescribed to me
and/or not taken as directed...
or
if I used any illegal substance

I would be compelled to re set my sobriety date.

My AA program is based on living with honesty
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't smoke pot or cigerattes anymore since I quit drinking. Lately I have been dieting pretty hard for an upcoming jiujitsu tournament. Anyways I broke my diet and had a blizzard from dairy queen. I almost felt quilty about it which is funny since I used to pound 5th's of vodka, get DWI's and miss work.

I'm glad that I am in a place in life were the worst thing I do to my body is have some ice cream.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts-

My question is Sobriety-My understanding from AA is AA is for a single purpose alcohol.

I am in OA also for that purpose. My OA group does not consider me "not in abstinence" when I drink alcohol.

If you are in OA why would they care if you drank. You are there because you have a compulsion to over eat, you can drink all you want. The fact that you are trying to equate pot to coffee or nicotine is silly at best. If you don't see the difference and how they affect you, you might want to put down the bong.

No comparison in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mat View Post
I sympathize with your issues with MJ, but to say that anything which "gets you in that escape from reality state is a reset of sober time" is patently absurd. Each individual has to draw the line for themselves somewhere and for you perhaps this *is* that place, but for many people, myself included, escaping reality helps me maintain my sobriety. Reading a book, playing World of Warcraft, etc.(all escapes from reality) These things all help take the edge off of the reality that I am NOT gonna be having that 6-pack tonight.

I have been smoking MJ for a long time, though not anymore for the reasons I cited in my post on page 1. For me personally, playing 2 rounds of Starcraft on B.net is 100x the escape from reality that smoking pot would provide me.

Escapes from reality are a VERY healthy thing when done in moderation, it only becomes a problem when you never want to come back.

It's different for everyone, I suppose.

I meant to say "any substance as in drugs or booze"

Of course finding a way to escape from the day to day grind without the use of drugs or booze was not what I was implying as a reset of your sober date.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts-

I'm just curious. So how is life working out for you while smoking pot?

I'm not trying to be a smart*ss. I'd really like to know.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

If you're having a problem with alcohol, quit drinking it. I don't know how much simpler it can be.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I really can't wrap my mind around equating coffee with pot. The worse effect coffee can have on a person is to make them a little jittery. Too much coffee will not result in a DUI, or a hangover, or sending insane text messages or emails while drinking it, or waking up and not remembering what happened the nite before. Coffee will not result in liver damage or brain cell damage, and will not ruin relationships. Coffee is not illegal, and you won't get fired for drinking it on the job or while driving. I'm smoked my share of weed in the past, and it made me stoned. I've never gotten stoned drinking coffee. Living sober means not getting drunk or stoned, that's my definition of it, anyway.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Suzie,

I can't speak for anyone else, and like I said I don't smoke cigarettes -- but I can honestly say my state of mind is in no way perceptibly altered by a Coca-Cola or a cup of tea. They don't even really give me any energy; I can drink either of those things and fall asleep immediately afterwards. On the other hand, both weed and alcohol used to alter my state of mind quite a bit, and I used them both to escape from reality in many ways. Now that I am sober I deal with my problems head on and therefore I do not use either of those substances. Drinking a tea or a caffeinated soda does not have the effect of clouding my mind the way weed or alcohol do. It is just simply not the same thing.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:07 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Also, if I thought caffeine was altering my mood in some harmful way, my reaction would be to cut out the caffeine... not to go back to smoking weed. !
Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

i like what smacked said:
Originally Posted by smacked View Post
My definition of clean and sober is mine alone. I would re-set my sober time if I smoked weed, not if I had a macchiato.

Smoking weed and claiming sobriety makes as much sense to ME, as quitting drinking and maintaining a little heroin habit, and claiming I'm sober.

But that's my sobriety, no one elses. Enjoy your own!
that makes sense to me...and to quote my AA chip..."To thy own self be true"

imo that means stay the hell away from anything that could compell you to ruin your life again..

for an overweight person that could include chocolate or doritoes...for a gambler it could include blackjack or lotto tickets...
Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Its all in the Big Book...work the steps, get a spiritual awakening and get recovered from alcoholism...get a sponsor who has done this themselves so they can guide you...

the rest is BS...i dont know what you were like at the bar but i had an opinion on everything and was basically full of crap...try and remember that more than half of the people at the meeting wont have done the above so will still be spouting like they are at the bar!

Find someone who has done the steps and recovered and go to meetings, listen and if unsure run what you have heard past them:-)

Enjoy!