Notices

How hard did you try to get Alcohol?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The stupidest thing I ever did was load my 4 year daughter on my bike while camping and ride up to the liquor store thinking that my husband would never find out. Mind you I was not drinking or did not drink before I went up there. Then I had to hide the liqour in the woods and find it later when everyone was ready for bed. When I finally drank it I didn't enjoy it and all that energy that when into it was a complete waste.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

i know this thread shouldn't be funny..but heck..im sitting here chuckling cuz I've done all that too!! But lately, my hubby started to take my keys if ive been drinking (which is a gooood thing) so I went on my bicycle..in the pouring rain...to get a pint of vodka!! When I returned home..I had a dirty gravely stipe up my back from all the guk on the wet road..LOLOL... the next day...I was going to do it again....I got on my bicycle..very drunk..and here my hubby had let the air out of the tire...LOL...needless to say I fell over on the bike couldnt get up...got bruises all over....
Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

We all know 'it' is not 'funny', but it's more the ridiculous things we contrive to do to get a drink. Reading all these replies makes me realise now what a knob I've been, and how having this shared experience might help me quit for good.

I don't think I have any 'story' as such, to recount - suffice to say that all the above applies to me too.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

i think the worse kind of thing ive done was whilst i was at work and say it was a day before payday and i had no money i used to come up with fake collections, i would say i was collecting for someones birthday or some other terrible lie, the fact everyone knew it was a lie didnt bother me i just used to turn it into a joke and they would give me small amounts of change each and then at the end of the day i would go and get 2 cheap bottles of cider, even now this is only day 2 for me the thought of that makes me cringe
Old 08-17-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hey Dave, I'm day two as well.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

hi phillips, how you finding it??
Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by davewilson33 View Post
hi phillips, how you finding it??
It's ok, but I should say that I am in the middle of a crisis right now, as I am experiencing liver pains, and jut yesterday 'confessed' top my other half about my crazy drinking.

So I'm feeling extremely determined. It's what's going to happen in 7 day's that bothers me, as well as the extreme worry I am experiencing. No amount of drink makes this a worthwhile experience, I can tell you.

On a physical level, I'm drinking loads of tea and water, but obviously don't want to overdo that. I'm taking each day as it comes adn keeping everything crossed for the results of my LFT test.

How many times have you tried packing it in, Dave? This is my umpteenth, but feels more realistic this time, but then I've said almost as much before and gone back.

Don't stop stopping.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

ive never been as serious as this, before ive packed in for 2 or 3 days but never really wanted to i just did it to keep the peace where as now like you im suffering from liver and kidney pains.
to be honest ive had enough of it all it isnt fun anymore and ive seen that if carry on ill be dead before im 40 i know that
Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Longest I went was six weeks, Dave.

But then I didn't have the symptoms I have now, and sounds like you have, possibly.

My burning question of the moment is how long before i might see an improvement in the twinges. I think it might be weeks, or even months, and I think that is at least one thing to focus on.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 of my 2nd (serious) attempt, but in reality probably 200th attempt. Those 200 were those one second thoughts "I should really stop this...starting tomorrow". So I don't count those as genuine.

Anyway I don't have a problem with obtaining alcohol, just hiding the quantity from those around me. When I was in school, my dorm room closet had 40 empty bottles. Damn those pile up fast! Once I was out of school and living with some friends that I got to know really well in college, I stopped trying to hide it. I buy Absolut vodka by the case.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Phillips...when you say twinges are you referrin to physical aches...mine went away pretty quick, maybe 10 days....
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I wrote a long reply earlier but when I went to post it I got a message about forum maintenance. Grrrr.

Suffice to say that the pains have subsided today. No, that's not a green light to re-commence drinking.

Ta.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

When I was 19-20, there was only one store that would sell me beer, and I would go there pretty much every night. The clerk was about my age and I ended up becoming pretty good friends with him.

The delivery guy for Anheuser Bush had a deal with the store, that if the bottles of beer get broken, the supplier has to buy them back at full price.

So when I had no money, the clerk would take a 12 pack of bottles outside for me, purposely drop it on the ground, and then I would funnel the dripping box into a pitcher. After running it through a coffee filter to remove the glass shards, I would take my flat concoction home.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Many many years ago (92-93) before my drinking really got the point of being truly problematic as far as I was concerned, I worked at a country club in the kitchen and there was a very obviously alcoholic sous chef (Ted) who would drink cooking wine, and/or whatever he could find. Talented guy, but drunk all the time. This type of drinking on the job started early in the day and by the end of the night, he was hammered and dropping wedding cake toppers or buckets of water off the tops of doors onto people's heads in the kitchen. Anyway, I was a willing participant to all this nonsense though at that point I was not nearly as bad off as Ted was.

Anyway...

One of the things we would do almost daily was take cases of beer from dry liquor storage by climbing over the fence that was meant to keep us out. We would then smuggle it upstairs with a lookout in place and quickly put the beers in a bus bucket or two with ice and then cover it with lettuce and keep that behind the line in a fridge. And of course, we would then drink beers from plastic cups all day and all night long while working functions and other country club events. Interesting times were when we would take a golf cart and a case of beer out for a joyride on the course...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I never had any trouble getting booze either, had great credit and I mostly just drank on the weekends so I would stock up every Wed or Thurs depending on what day I was starting the weekend; I would alternate wine stores so as to not go to the same 1 too often. I was a closet drinker and the last 5 yrs I really didn't like being with other people because I felt they interferred with my drinking....when it ended and I wound up in the hospital most everyone that knew me (except my daughter and my parents) was shocked because they had no idea I had a "drinking problem". I did try buying the box wine because I knew it wouldn't make the embarassing noise in the trash that the bottles did....
Old 08-20-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I never had any trouble getting booze either, had great credit and I mostly just drank on the weekends so I would stock up every Wed or Thurs depending on what day I was starting the weekend; I would alternate wine stores so as to not go to the same 1 too often. I was a closet drinker and the last 5 yrs I really didn't like being with other people because I felt they interferred with my drinking....when it ended and I wound up in the hospital most everyone that knew me (except my daughter and my parents) was shocked because they had no idea I had a "drinking problem". I did try buying the box wine because I knew it wouldn't make the embarassing noise in the trash that the bottles did....
How did you end up in the hospital if you don't mind me asking?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I did try buying the box wine because I knew it wouldn't make the embarassing noise in the trash that the bottles did....

I'll bet I've got a dozen construction sized bags full of beercans in my garage. There's maybe 100 bucks worth of aluminum there that I was never sober enough to take to the recycler.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
I think at my lowest point it had to be my pedestrian days living in Philly. I had various ways of obtaining Alcohol and some were more nuts than others.

I would wear a backpack to the store and break open the 30 pack on the floor of the store or right outside LOL. While everyone gawked, I would pack the back pack just right to avoid breaking my precious cargo and then off I would go. The guys working the counter would sometimes try to help me and then get rid of my trash. Ever try to get on a bike with a 30 pack on your back?

When I got tired of feeling embarrassed doing that I graduated to the walk and duffle. I found a beer store that I could get to by walking alongside the freight train tracks. It kept me away from the majority of onlookers but it was a long walk. I would carry two dufflebags and load each one with a 30 pack. I would quick put the beer in the bags right near the back of the store to be less obvious and then lug them about one mile home on each shoulder. When I discovered I could fit two in one bag I decided to buy three once. I had to stop to rest many times on that trip and vowed to never buy that many again. Instead, I started supplementing my beer habit with cheap vodka. An easy grab on the way home any day.

What a mess.
OMG you must have been the strongman of alcoholics

I think my worst was the days when I would budget a cab ride back home into my spending. Then as the night wore on I found myself consuming more and more alcohol. Pretty soon my wallet was empty. Sometimes a conscious decision sometimes not, I would walk home 5, 10, 15 miles. If I was lucky I could get a ride off a bar fly or have a few dollars to take a cab part way and walk the rest. I can occasionally remember days strolling into my house and the sun has come up I have been walking so long after the bar closed.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Sold a perfectly good car for $99.

Went to the local pawn shop every Friday to have booze for the weekend- lost a LOT of good stuff.

BEG for $20. Maybe I would pay it back, maybe I would " forget" it.

Go to people's houses whom I could barely tolerate because there was a chance that they had booze.........

If it came down to it, booze ALWAYS won out over food.

Did a lot of walking myself-many times in 100+ heat, pacing around the house, tweaking for a drink until the store would open at noon on a Sunday...

Have two, sometimes THREE cases of beer on my lap while riding my motorcycle thru downtown in the middle of the night....

Jeez.

Last edited by mikefreak; 08-20-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: add-on
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mikefreak View Post
Sold a perfectly good car for $99.

Went to the local pawn shop every Friday to have booze for the weekend- lost a LOT of good stuff.

BEG for $20. Maybe I would pay it back, maybe I would " forget" it.

Go to people's houses whom I could barely tolerate because there was a chance that they had booze.........

If it came down to it, booze ALWAYS won out over food.

Did a lot of walking myself-many times in 100+ heat, pacing around the house, tweaking for a drink until the store would open at noon on a Sunday...

Have two, sometimes THREE cases of beer on my lap while riding my motorcycle thru downtown in the middle of the night....

Jeez.
The Motorcycle ride must have been a sight to see, any other alkie like myself ever call out for a freebie?

To UniqueNewYork, LOL at strongman haha. I am 5'7" and weighed about 165 back then. I lost 20 when I quit drinking. Before I wasted my athletics by becoming a drunk I used to bike every day for fifty miles and could run for miles at sprint pace. The weight of the beer once balanced on my shoulders with pads wasn't too bad. It was the endurance that always got me home. I still carry cases of food like that down the hall at my job and always get the curious look like I have a barrel on my head.

Carrying them on the bus when I went to farther away places were probably my most uncomfortable journeys home. Even though I had the beer hidden in the bags I could feel everyones eyes burning into me like I had a cut in half body in the two bags. Then getting up to stand at the door to get off and having the bus driver yell back that he couldn't see if the door was clear and to move. Sheesh, I don't miss those days one bit.