Notices

Day 5 - Don't want the bubble to burst

Old 08-10-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 - Don't want the bubble to burst

I am so happy I am on day 5 sober.. A bit worried that I have not found it too challenging nor have I thought about it much, might be as my drinking partner is away from me. Worried that my bubble will burst, and that dreaded voice of addiction taps my shoulder when I least expect.

Thanks to all who have supported me over the years, I think the desire to be sober is greater than the desire to drink x
Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's easy to abstain during those first days because you feel *so much* better. I mean, you feel bad if you're having withdrawals or problems sleeping. If you've been living with a constant hangover for any amount of time, though, not having one all of a sudden just feels absolutely amazing.

Keep on staying sober.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey iriss,
I'm only on day 7 now, and I feel just like you. It was ok for me the first couple of days, but as the days go on I know i will soon really want to drink.
On day 5, I started craving quite bad, because I was bored, so I had to distract myself with cleaning the house and stuff (although it doesnt have to be cleaning lol) . We can do this I'm sure of it , dont give up just yet
Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your fresh start....
Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Congrats!

"A bit worried that I have not found it too challenging"

If you feel a little crazy just post here. At your stage I was trying to convince myself I did not have a proble b/c I wasn't on skid row. It's a cliche, one:ghug3 day at a time and being in the moment really do help.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

The reality is, your bubble will burst. Maybe not today, in a week, or a month (etc).. but life happens, and not everything stays as easy to coast through. That's when real recovery work comes in handy, when the real obstacles come up and you sail through using the new tools you've learned.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Iriss isn't it funny how people differ in their recovery? I had cravings in the first 4 days, and then after that, it wasn't as strong or as often. I'm on day 11, and my drinking partner has been away also. he is very supportive of me, and I know he will drink in my presence, I told him I'd be OK, as its my problem not his. I wish you all the luck!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your sober time Iriss...just stay focused on that one day at a time thing - today's all you have to worry about

D
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

NOBODY can say, including you Iriss, if the bubble will burst or not. Maybe you'll have smooth sailing. Maybe you'll be able to control your drinking, moderate, or stop all together on your own. I couldn't, but that by no means has ANY bearing on you, your reality or your situation.

Keep trying and be as objective about your experience.....your reality......going forward. Is life getting better? Do you feel happier? Are you finally starting to feel "normal" again? Are you starting to feel worse? Are you getting depressed? Are you feeling LESS normal then you've ever felt before?

It's no secret that how you answer those questions will be big. They'll help you determine whether you're an alcoholic who's no in a position that's beyond human aid and willpower to fix or not. Either way, it's win win. If you can stop, and life gets better.....you win. If you can't, and it gets worse, there's a solution to that too......so you win again.

Glad to see you trying. That's awesome.

Don't listen to ppl tell you "you're screwed" or "you're on the pink cloud." Sometimes..... that desire to drink is quite simply removed by a God who really diggs you. It worked for Bill Wilson like that.....why not you?

Last edited by Dee74; 08-10-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: by request
Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Iriss if it helps, I'm almost 3 weeks sober now and I still feel pretty much the same as you. I've only had a couple of very brief cravings to drink, and they passed quickly.

I believe I truly am at a point where I do not want to drink anymore. I no longer see drinking as useful to solve my problems, to help me be sociable, or for anything else.

It may help you to make a plan for when and if you do get cravings, though. That will make you feel more secure and make it more likely you'll make it through
Old 08-11-2010, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I am also going through an immensely difficult time in my life and anxiety is high, however for some reason, I just know that adding alcohol to the equation will = more anxiety. My desire is to be sober, and I like me better when I am...x