Notices

Facing your demons without the drink

Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm like spryte, tried many different things prior to where I am now (at my most successful ever). I think the more we know the easier it is for some of us to deal with our problems. Knowledge is power after all.

I am a Christian, and very spiritual and have no interest in trying AA, but I know it has been helpful.for many here. God and I have an understanding;-)
Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Heathen

Re: counseling is not an option

I have a few degrees in counseling related fields.. a handful of professional licenses. I'm also clinically mentally ill. I have been court ordered to attend and participate in counseling, locked up in a few behavioral treatment centers for said mental illness(es) left untreated, court ordered 12 step programs, ad nauseum. I felt I 'knew too much' about how the system worked.. how the brain docs work, the nuances and interplay of psychodynamic theory (blah blah blah).. to participate EVER in any genuine way. However.. I was terrified of drinking/using again, and I was in a place where I would do ANYTHING to help. I couldn't operate as my own treatment center, or counselor.. or life coach (etc). I did end up attending counseling, begrudgingly.. and it probably helped me the most in saving my life. Found a shrink that used to be an addict, chatted with him a few times a week.. dug up some stuff I really needed off my chest, .. took the time to process and think about myself.. took what helped, left the rest in his office.

Don't close off to any opportunities you haven't tried that might help you!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well, facing your demons means you are religious. Demons are from the bible you know.

I am almost 7 days into this also. There are more stumbling blocks for an alcoholic than an obstacle coarse.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
Well, facing your demons means you are religious. Demons are from the bible you know.

I am almost 7 days into this also. There are more stumbling blocks for an alcoholic than an obstacle coarse.
LOL I was just saying "facing your demons" as a common phrase, not as a religious one
Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingDawn View Post
Great posts by you all, they were very helpfull to me too! I am still undecided on AA to.
Guess who else wanted to be a psychologist! lol oh yeah...
haha! I've actually found that my experience with alcohol makes me so much better at my job. I'm able to understand them on a deeper, non-textbook level. I think you'll find the same thing to be true
Old 08-15-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Che

I find your explanation about psychology bizarre, because I too have some background in it, but I used it to help me. If you can identify when you're engaging in unhealthy behaviour, and you can tell yourself to do the same things you tell your patients to do, then do it! If you can't, then maybe you need a 3rd perspective and a psychologist will still be able to help you.

You are putting up walls of why this, this and this can't work, and asking for a magic solution instead. The truth, as you should well know, is that there is no magic. Psychologists aren't worldly people who reveal the mysteries of life to their patients, they're people who tell patients what they already know, but denied in an evasion of reality. Everyone knows that to help their problems they need to make lists and plans of what they should do to overcome them. That's basic human problem solving. But for some reason when it concerns emotions, most people need to be told by a professional to do it, or they feel silly.

It isn't silly. You're not above it. The day a person accepts that their problems are solvable is the day that person matures. To deny the possibility of success is to set yourself into the well known 'self-fulfilled prophecy' which you should be familiar with even if you aren't a psychologist.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Che View Post
I find your explanation about psychology bizarre, because I too have some background in it, but I used it to help me. If you can identify when you're engaging in unhealthy behaviour, and you can tell yourself to do the same things you tell your patients to do, then do it! If you can't, then maybe you need a 3rd perspective and a psychologist will still be able to help you.

You are putting up walls of why this, this and this can't work, and asking for a magic solution instead. The truth, as you should well know, is that there is no magic. Psychologists aren't worldly people who reveal the mysteries of life to their patients, they're people who tell patients what they already know, but denied in an evasion of reality. Everyone knows that to help their problems they need to make lists and plans of what they should do to overcome them. That's basic human problem solving. But for some reason when it concerns emotions, most people need to be told by a professional to do it, or they feel silly.

It isn't silly. You're not above it. The day a person accepts that their problems are solvable is the day that person matures. To deny the possibility of success is to set yourself into the well known 'self-fulfilled prophecy' which you should be familiar with even if you aren't a psychologist.
I don't usually take offense to what others say in posts, but I find your response very rude. I don't feel "above" therapy. I do "accept that my problem is solvable" and I am a mature person. I am indeed familiar with self fulfilling prophecy and do NOT in the slightest believe that psychologists are "worldy people who reveal the mysteries of life to their patients".
THAT being said, for me personally, I do not find genuine comfort in therapy. I'm sure it's worked for many people. That's great. I was just asking for others opinions of options and ideas beyond AA and therapy.

Thanks to all others for the kind responses I am feeling much better these days! I appreciate the kind support

Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Weeelll,

Therapy and AA are about the only two ways I know of "combating demons". Both really do involve interaction with another person (a sponsor, a therapist, a group). I think we are too close to ourselves to simply fix ourselves without objective feedback and guidance from time to time.

Just my untrained opinion.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One other thought, since you have an interest in meditation.

You might find a qualified meditation instructor. I don't have a lot of experience with it, myself, but I know people who have said it changed their lives.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ummm, imho, there are ways to combat demons outside of AA and therapy...the only recovering alcohilic I know in the real world is one of those people who has not used either, he is an amazing person with 13 years sober. He journals, meditates, paints, does yoga and many other things to "face his demons".
Old 08-15-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hollybear View Post
I've never thought of "higher power" as being the universe and reality itself. I do meditate and follow buddhist philosiphy in general in my life, so looking at it that way puts it in a completely different perspective. Thanks!

I guess you're all right, whats to lose? I'll give AA a try

The AA program seems to call for a lot of humility and re-channeling of the ego's impulses. That seems, to me, to have a lot in common with Buddhism.