Notices

Pressure to Drink

Old 08-06-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Actually the discomfort sounds pretty normal to me - I see it as a positive that anything associated with drinking bothers us. I think its those times when we let our guard down that we are most vulnerable to pick up that drink.

Even after 7 years sobriety I feel uncomfortable around people drinking a lot. It is funny; people can have a glass of wine or two and it does not bother me in the least bit but watching people get drunk is very hard - I think it hits too close to home.

Maybe have a few comments at the ready (in training, I do not drink, getting over an illness, etc.) and don't let it get to you and turn it into a positive - A gentle reminder that you can choose not to drink.

You have so many great things going for you and congratulations on the 2.5 years.

Dave

ps great comments toronto68!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David 1 View Post
Actually the discomfort sounds pretty normal to me - I see it as a positive that anything associated with drinking bothers us. I think its those times when we let our guard down that we are most vulnerable to pick up that drink.
Okay. This is something good to keep in mind.

Even after 7 years sobriety I feel uncomfortable around people drinking a lot. It is funny; people can have a glass of wine or two and it does not bother me in the least bit but watching people get drunk is very hard - I think it hits too close to home.
This is how you remind me of what I really am? I have been known to say that a room full of very drunk people is just boring AND before the night is over, they're going to want me, the only sober person, to drive them to the liquor store. But maybe it's more (or less) than that. Maybe I see myself, what I was, what I could be, and am uncomfortable. Wow. That's really something to think about. I never saw it that way before.

Maybe have a few comments at the ready (in training, I do not drink, getting over an illness, etc.) and don't let it get to you and turn it into a positive - A gentle reminder that you can choose not to drink.
Good suggestion. I could always tell them I'm on parole and that I get tested every day. That would make for a good story. <joking, sort of>

Thank you for the suggestion of the way to turn the situation into a positive. I hadn't thought of this, and I'm glad you brought it up.

You have so many great things going for you and congratulations on the 2.5 years.
Thank you so much! Congratulations to you on the seven years. You're inspiring, Dave.