Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Had to delay rehab for a week for getting too drunk

Notices

Had to delay rehab for a week for getting too drunk

Old 08-06-2010, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Had to delay rehab for a week for getting too drunk

What a LOSER - I was supposed to go in for 12 week rehab last monday but got drunk the night before and so had to delay to next Monday instead and am determined NOT to screw it up this time.

They told me its quite common for people to go on a binge if they're going into rehab without doing an inpatient detox first.

Left to my own devices I am my own worst enemy and can't handle the panic and fear (no s***, since I'm not so good at feeling an kind of emotion, so I guess its normal for an alcoholic to sabotage this type of thing).

Just wondered if anyone else experienced this and had any advice on not doing in twice in a row....

Mxx
Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been to rehab, but I've certainly had a last hurrah, and so have many others if what I read here is any indication Mimi.

It's silly really - we want to give up something that's clearly destroying us - so we do it one more time - and we do it large.

Nothing else describes the insanity quite so well for me really.

Thinking about sobriety is scary, and adding rehab in the mix must be overwhelming too - but try to think of it as a step to something better, Mimi

It's a good thing, not a bad one...it's a definite movement in a positive direction.

Have you got a sober buddy, or buddies, to be with next time?
If all else fails you can sit on SR and post and chat here.

D
Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mimi54321 View Post
Just wondered if anyone else experienced this and had any advice on not doing in twice in a row....
Mxx
You answered all of your questions already. You just did what we do. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Both of the guys said it all for me....

All my best.....
Old 08-06-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Been there, done that! Only things that prevented me from doing it twice was the emotional pain and that i had already shelled out the 5k...

Just get on down there:-)
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
High on Life

Just don't do it again......easier said then done
Old 08-06-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have never been to a rehab, but either last December or the previous one, (I don't remember exactly.) I decided to quit drinking, and wanted to tell my best drinking buddy, my brother, and my parents who are norms/heavy drinkers on occassion. Basically I was already drunk, and we all sat at a restaurant, and I told them that I was going to quit, and I really wanted their help to keep me away from drinking. (Basically I said, "don't let me drink, don't offer me drinks, and help keep me from drinking"). Well they all questioned me and all said it was a good idea......as we continued to get really drunk. I was loaded by the end of the night and barely able to walk. We were out of town, so I left early the next morning still with the intention of not drinking again, and met with all of them at my parents house to watch a football game the following day. As soon as I got there my brother grabbed me a beer in front of everyone else, and I looked around and no one said a thing. I picked up the beer and drank it, and still no one said a word. They all either got so drunk they didn't remember the conversation, or no one wanted to help me on my quest for sobriety.

So on one of my attempts at sobriety, not only did I get super loaded the night before, I also had everyone I was with get so loaded that they didn't remember that I was not going to drink again. That's when I started to realize that not only did I have a drinking problem, but I shouldn't expect any support from my loved ones, (aside from my wife, she doesn't drink), when it came to quitting drinking. Sometimes it's hard to say goodbye to something you once loved so much.