Notices

I didn't know NOT drinking could feel so good!

Old 10-18-2003, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

I didn't know NOT drinking could feel so good!

I haven't drank since September 12 or 13th, after becoming very distraught about using beer & wine to relieve stress. I had no idea I'd feel so good NOT drinking! I don't know where I fall along the "problem drinker-alcohol abuser-alcoholic" spectrum, and that is mattering less to me now. All I know is I feel so much more content (I thought I'd feel the opposite way) without drinking. An added benefit is that people are telling me I'm looking svelte (hey, if that ain't a good reason to get rid of the booze, I don't know what is! lol) and I can actually fit comfortably into a pair of pants I couldn't just a month ago!
My thinking is becoming so different. Rather than becoming glad when someone asks to get together because I'm thinking yum yum, it's a great reason to have a few beers, I'm thinking: Oh, boy, they are probably going to want to drink. Ugh. And I work my way around it.
This past week -- Thursday -- I said out loud (rather, moaned) on the way home from work, "GOD, I'd like to go get a bottle of wine!" So I went to the store and bought Haagen Daz chocolate ice cream instead
Thank you, God. And thank you people here for giving me encouragement that awful day when I was so hungover and discouraged.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

It only get's better Sky!!! Keep up the good work and congrats on your 30+ days sober!!!
Old 10-18-2003, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

youre encouragement for me.I cant wait to write my "feeling good" post someday.Im jealous :bow
Old 10-18-2003, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sky,
If you keep going the way you are, it'll get so good you won't be able to stand it.
If I had made a wish list when I first sobered up, I'd have sold myself short.
I was told once that one day it'll be so good that if I ask for a boat, I'd better have a place to put it. I wouldn't ask for a boat anyway....the two best days in a boatowner's life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.....Ha!
Just hang in there and see if it doesn't get reeeeeeally neat.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks. Actually, tonight I'm going to a bar. AHHH. No -- I'm meeting some friends to hear some music and it happens to be a place that serves alcohol. I'm psyching myself up for cranberry juice with seltzer water. mmmmm.

Old 10-19-2003, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sky,
Have a good time. Cranberry juice is good stuff.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats to you Sky, I'm glad you're feeling the benefits of sobriety. And reading Music's post made me realise that he's right, the longer I've stayed sober, its gotten so good I can hardly stand it.

Hope you had a great night out with your friends.

Amy
Old 10-23-2003, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

It was a nice night out. Thanks, everyone.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Sky,

congrats on your progress, funny I order cran and soda now too when in a bar situation. I am just starting and also am feeling better than I have in years. Sobriety is good stuff!

keep up the good work!
Old 10-23-2003, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done Sky.Keep up the good work.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Sky, It is great isn't it. I find it so hard to believe that we spend so much time
fighting a chance to feel this way. Insane, crazy are the only words to describe why I or anyone else would want that former way of life back. Isn't it great to not only see the flowers but, take time to smell them. I don't know about you guys but, all my senses even come more alive. I used to hate people I heard laughing and happy. Now, I love to hear people enjoying life. Also, the fact that I am one of them. Sky, not
only have you been working hard but, you have helped me and others through some ruff times. keep up the good work
and I look forward to reading you upbeat posts. Don W
Old 10-25-2003, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

((((((((Don)))))))))
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Feels GREAT not to drink

I went to a family party tonight where beer and wine were served, but this time my mind was made up before I got there not to drink alcohol. I drank ginger ale all night and it was such a FREAKING RELIEF not to have to -- since this was a family party and there weren't any big drinkers there -- scheme, ponder and calculate how I could ingest as many drinks as possible without looking like an alcholic to my relatives. Normally I would have been wondering whether to have beer or wine and which would make be easier to manipulate how I could make it seem like I had the same 1 or 2 drinks in my hand all night when in actuality I was refilling them. For the first time in as long as I can remember I sat back, told funny stories (I was really funny without alcohol/unbelievable), laughed my butt off and just felt so darn heathly. Thank you, God for giving me this glimpse into happy sobriety. I know I have a long way to go and not every night will be this easy but you gave me this to make me realize how great it can be. I am blessed. and I feel great physcially and mentally right now!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All I know is I feel so much more content (I thought I'd feel the opposite way)

My thinking is becoming so different. Rather than becoming glad when someone asks to get together because I'm thinking yum yum, it's a great reason to have a few beers, I'm thinking: Oh, boy, they are probably going to want to drink. Ugh. And I work my way around it.

me too!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AllyJane66....

Glad to know of your progress...Welcome back to SR
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for giving me hope.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
That is AWESOME! What an inspirational postthanks