Notices

Not sure what to expect

Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure what to expect

Hello,new here. I'm heading to detox on friday then hopefully full blown rehab after that. I'm scared to death. I've been drinking heavily every night for the last 5 years.It started with hard liquor,usually either 3/4 of a bottle of vodka or southern comfort.Now it's easily 25-30 beers a night.I tried to quit on my own,that didn't work out so well.

I started seeing/hearing things,it was just easier to drink then to put myself through that hell. But now I've decided to get the help I need. I can't mentally or physically do it any more. I've been lucky,I haven't had any legal problems due to drinking.

Basically I'm just curious as to what to expect during detox? I think part of the reason I keep drinking is I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't
Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi borntorun

Are you under medical supervision now. Those folks are always the best to ask

We have a thread here with members experiences in it...it's not definitive but it may help give you some kind of a general idea...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to SR - good luck with detox and beyond.

D
Old 08-04-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for the reply. I'm not currently under medical supervision right now. Unfortunatley I am drinking until I am able to get into treatment. I want to do this the right way...and not risk my life. Thank you for the link,I'll have a look
Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you started a thread...
I did reply to another post of yours before I saw this one.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ack-track.html

Dee and Keep gave you better/more anyway!
We all are here to support each other.

Again....Welcome ...
Old 08-05-2010, 02:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you carol. I saw the post It is much appreciated. I will definatly keep you guys updated. Its so nice to come to a place to get support.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

firstly,apologies for bring up an old thread. I figured it'd be better to update my progress in this one instead of starting a new one

Got home from rehab yesterday. I was only able to do 25 days due to insurance reasons,however this is the best I've felt in a long time.However my four days of detox were pure hell After the fourth day though things improved dramatically. I know i've got a long road ahead me but I'm confident that I can do it. I got myself up bright and early to look for meetings in my area

One thing I wasn't prepared for though was how strong the cravings would come once I was outside the comfort of the rehab.I've been able to weather the storm so far though and I'm fairly sure I will continue to as long as I keep busy. I wish all of you the best in your recovery!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Great to read the update. Shame you couldn't do the full time but with enough support you can do this. I'm glad you're looking for a meeting. Keep busy and focused. And keep posting!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Post and read here when you need to borntorun...any you using any other avenues of support?

D
Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome back!

Now, do whatever it takes to keep that hard-won sobriety. You NEVER have to go through that again.

Are you going to AA every day?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....

I think most of us had cravings when we were in early days.
Here is what worked for me.....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

And Yes! AA meetings are a vital part of my new life.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by borntorun78 View Post
firstly,apologies for bring up an old thread. I figured it'd be better to update my progress in this one instead of starting a new one

Got home from rehab yesterday. I was only able to do 25 days due to insurance reasons,however this is the best I've felt in a long time.However my four days of detox were pure hell After the fourth day though things improved dramatically. I know i've got a long road ahead me but I'm confident that I can do it. I got myself up bright and early to look for meetings in my area

One thing I wasn't prepared for though was how strong the cravings would come once I was outside the comfort of the rehab.I've been able to weather the storm so far though and I'm fairly sure I will continue to as long as I keep busy. I wish all of you the best in your recovery!
That's awesome that things have gone well for you

I can relate to this idea of comfort, I've not been in rehab, but I have been in hospital for mental health challenges (Bipolar) and I always felt shaky on leaving the security of the psychiatric unit.

Hope to see you around here, as much as I want to be.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So glad you were able to get the help you needed in treatment. It's a little scary to reenter the "real" world - do they have aftercare? When I went to treatment I went to aftercare every week and also made a few friends that I kept in touch with - it helped to be going through the culture shock together.

You sound good, though. Just keep taking it a day at a time and try not to overwhelm yourself. The cravings will come and go, but should get better after you've readjusted. The real world isn't an easy place, even for "normies," so don't get discouraged if you have a bad day here and there.

Way to go on your sober time!!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So,again,I'm pulling up an old thread.I've been sober since my last post.It's been hard as I'm sure many of you can imagine.There's been so many changes in my life I don't even know where to start.Except to say it was the best decision I've ever made.

Life is better.Food tastes better.Taking my dog for a walk brings me joy.I've rediscovered things that I forgot about when I was a drunk.Such as music,movies,writing poems.And the best thing yet,I've got a six month old daughter.She's my world.Since my last post I've had a few cravings to drink.But I think about her.And it's gone.I think to myself what kind of father would I be if I'm drunk all the time?Not one I'd be proud of that's for sure.

The main reason I'm resurrecting this thread is this : I've been sober nearly a year and a half.It's a long hard road.But if I can do so can you.You've just got to believe you can.And you will.Everyone has a reason to stay/get sober.If only for themselves.I wish you all well.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear from you again borntorun - and fantastic to hear of your journey - congratulations!

D
Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee.And I want to thank everyone here.I'm not someone that posts a lot.But reading here has helped.To me it's just something else I can turn to when I feel like drinking.I hope to become a productive member and maybe help someone else along in their journey to sobriety
Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think part of the reason I keep drinking is I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't
I can so relate to this. In fact I didn't think it was possible for me not to drink (I was a daily blackout drinker for eight years). When we don't drink one day at a time life changes dramatically. One of the first things we get is self-esteem. Please let us know how it goes ... best of luck!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update -- it's ALWAYS good to hear that there is HOPE.

Congratulations on the new baby!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I didn't have time to read all of the posts but I want to say welcome to our boards and congrats. Please hang in there. I know detox can be tough, but you'll get through it!