Notices

Day 1 Sober DOWN!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Day 1 Sober DOWN!

For anyone who read about my husband bringing home 12 beers on my first day attempting to not drink...here is the outcome....

So I started the evening off with my regular Monday night trail run. I love this particular run and look forward to it weekly(just love the trail we take...the friends...and the regular bear sightings!). It turned out to be me and a close friend running (the group dwindles when it's hot and peak tourist season...the locals head outta town!) and she likely wondered why I was quieter than usual. I was using the hour or so to talk to myself about how great this evening would be without the crutch and mindfuzz of the regular routine of drinking. I envisioned the whole evening almost moment by moment. I did not anticipate coming home to cold beer but I talked that one through on another thread.

I did not have one.
It wasn't that hard....I might have predicted I would crumble but I didn't expect it and I immediately decided to use it as a test. I know it was only Day 1 but I cannot recall the last time there was alcohol in the house that I did not drink a minimum of 50% of. Usually I would have downed my half of the pack and hoped my husband would offer me one or two of his 6.

I had stocked up on my favourite carbonated water and drank 2L in no time. I then walked into the kitchen...past the box of beer on the counter and turned on the kettle. Realizing it was already 9:30 and that this is an acceptable time to crawl into bed without appearing to hide...I took my tea and lay in bed cruising my favourite cookbooks. I also found a new picture to paint. Gosh...when is the last time I started a new painting? I finished the evening off with a meditation of thankfulness and went to sleep.

Sidenote: it is WAY harder to fall asleep than it is to pass out and I can't remember the last time I remember falling asleep. It was frustrating and refreshing at the same time!

The evening was wonderful overall. I woke up this morning and took a little longer than usual doing the Sun Salutation on the deck. I am thankful for my first day.

By the way...any herbal tea lovers out there should try Tazo Wild Sweet Orange Tea. Incredible. Buttery. Needs NO additional sweetness. The perfect reward.

OH...and as I questioned how my evening was going to turn out(midway through)...I quickly ducked into my bedroom to pull up this forum. Your words of support and encouragement had a direct impact on my success. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Kimberly
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Congratulations! Sounds like you already have a spiritual practice in place. The other seven arms of yoga may have much to offer as well. There is a lot of wisdom in the Vedanta that directly applies to shifting your perceptions about alcohol. Will power is great and you should be proud of yourself, but it only lasts so long.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailrunrbyday View Post

Sidenote: it is WAY harder to fall asleep than it is to pass out and I can't remember the last time I remember falling asleep. It was frustrating and refreshing at the same time!

Kimberly
Well done, Kimberly!

Sidenote: Are you sure? Do you just lay down in bed and you pass out? Or do you have to put hours of efforts and money into it?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats and good job! Yes, it was only day one, but you did it, and we all have to start at day one, so don't take that away from yourself!

As for the sleeping. . .the first few days for me not drinking, it was hard to fall asleep. However, with that passed, I now fall asleep within minutes of going to bed and actually stay asleep all night. And wake up refreshed! Passing out was fast, but I typically woke up during the night, tossed and turned, and woke up very tired. That is all gone.

Keep up the good work. I know you still have some doubts and fears, but I can tell you are determined. You can live such a wonderful and fulfilling likfe without alcohol, and you have taken the first steps.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wilde...you crack me up! FINE...it was costly to simply pass out. Actually, that is one of the things I am most excited about. NOT spending ridiculous amounts of money(that I really don't have) on destroying my own body that I love so dearly.

aehm...I have always been quick to fall asleep(pre drinking heavily) but I think I lay there for a while thinking "WOW...I think I did it!" and "grrrr.....husband!"
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I find myself saying "grrr. . .husband" a lot (an not related to drinking. ..all the time, anyway). God bless 'em, they have a way of doing that to us!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Trailrun, I too found it hard to fall asleep when I first quit drinking. Heck, sometimes it's still hard.

I wanted share something I've learned that might (or might not) help you, too. If I don't pass out right away, I do three or four rounds of deep breathing (good stuff in; bad stuff out). Then, I will muscle group of my body to relax--like you do when you're getting ready for meditation or self-hypnosis. I rarely get to the muscle groups surrounding my stomach before I'm asleep.

Good for you for surviving the first sober day! I'm proud of you.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats! I was thinking about you last night and I'm glad to see this post today!

Question, is your Avatar one of your paintings...I really like it whatever it is:-)
Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LaFemme...thank you for thinking of me!!!!

Yes, the painting is one I did entitled "The Path". The title of the painting had nothing to do with seeking sobriety when I initially named the painting but now I look at the painting and it compeletely represents my path to sobriety.

Thank you for the compliment. I exhibited two paintings in a show last year(first time every) and got rave reviews....I am *supposed* to be working on pieces for a solo exhibit but the drinking has kept me away from the easel.

Until now.
I plan to start a new piece this weekend.
Kimberly
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome Kimberly! Your work is beautiful and I love how it works for the path you are currently on...I want to walk down that path:-)

...Drinking sapped my ability to paint as well so I understand. Maybe we should make an Art thread so we can share our work, there are a number of us artists on this forum.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

that sounds great LaFemme!
I never shared my work before putting two pieces out there. I had only given pieces as gifts in the past.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great job on day 1, trail, and on having such a good attitude (even tho hubby squelched some of that!) And the painting is lovely - you definitely need to keep at it. I've been earning a living painting for the past 20 years, so it IS possible to make it a lucrative hobby. It's also great therapy (well, great angst too, I must say!)

I like LaFemme's idea about an art thread....... I think it would be a nice connection for many here.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: just keep focused on doing this one day at a time. I can't say enough about staying in today (and that definitely ties in with yoga, eastern thought, spirituality, etc).

Insomnia is maddening for the first week or two. Give it time. Your body/brain is adjusting.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love Wild Sweet Orange! It's one of my favorite Tazo teas. And yes, it needs nothing. It's perfect straight up.
Congrats on your day 1
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today is my day one also. So far I've been filled with a sense of doom while experiencing a headach and the jitters. I'm feeling better than I did earlier. I'm thankful my withdrawls were not as serious as some that have posted here.

This website is a godsend. I've spent most of the day going through posts and identifying with so many stories.

I can't wait to get back to being the productive inspired person that I used to be.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailrunrbyday View Post
that sounds great LaFemme!
I never shared my work before putting two pieces out there. I had only given pieces as gifts in the past.
Before I had joined the club and became a card-carrying drunk, one of my closest friend was among the ranks. She was a great graphic artist and would occasionally gift me with something she had done. After she found her way and sobered up, her work became better and better and I appreciated her gifts more and more.

Gifts from the heart are good, especially when one knows what went into them.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Penny....Welcome back to SR....
I so hope this will be your last Day one
Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Kimberly ....good for you!

If y;all want to begin an Art thread....and I hope you will
.Cafe Central is the correct place

Café Central - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Remember....you may not advertize them for sale
or link to home pages or Blogs.

It would be for our enjoyment and for y'all to share
ideas and personal accomplishments.
And for me to for your talents!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great Job Trailrun!!! I'm on day two myself. I too love the idea of an art thread..I'm a drawer. my tag line is.."I draw dead people" ...not funny I guess but I have drawn people from photographs for loved ones. I have only done a couple so far..but I loved it, until I couldnt stop drinking. Would love to get back to it and share here...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day1 K.

D
Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today is my first day too! I am about to go to bed without drinking at least a whole bottle of wine in a very long time. I made the decision today that I want to be sober. I am nervous about it though. I am almost 29 and I swear I have been an alcoholic literally since the day I turned 21. I am sure I would have been one sooner if the drinking laws were different. It seems that for the past year or so, I no longer have a huge craving for alcohol; it has instead been replaced with some odd compulsion to drink. The thought of getting off work and having a drink used to make me happy, now it just gives me anxiety.

I know it's only day one, and there is a very, very long road ahead of me, but I am very hopeful. I am excited about going to work tomorrow without a hangover. I know it sounds hokey, but reading the posts here really made realize how many other people are going through this too. I just want my life back.