Notices

Friday

Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday

After avoiding offers of cocktails since early afternoon, I have caved and had a few tonight. I'm not over doing it. I got hired (kind of) for a new gig. I'm only going to be filling in for anyone absent, so the work will be infrequent. It all happened by chance, I wasn't looking for a job but the owner of a restaurant met me and said I should apply at his place. Then I was immediately interviewed and called today regarding tomorrow's training- which I hope is paid. I don't go in until late afternoon. It should be interesting! I hope I get some shifts. At the very least it's a confidence booster that someone met me by chance and wanted me to work at their business
Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the new job.

If you don't mind me asking, who is drinking cocktails in the early afternoon? I used to, but I was an alcoholic.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Hey sleepie! Good news, isn't it? We are stay here with you!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the job works out for you, sleepie.
I'd lose the cocktail crowd tho....

D
Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all. The cocktail crowd is one half of a couple. They are not the reason I drank- or root cause? It's someone else. I should lose this individual but I am literally alone. Seriously. And my new job is at a restaurant/ bar. I'll have to have nerves of steel. I'm going to do my best.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't give up, sleepie.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I won't. I am used to the "Trial by fire". Thank you
Old 07-31-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I have caved and had a few tonight. I'm not over doing it.
At the very least it's a confidence booster
Can you see that caving and having a few (but not overdoing it), and seeing the overall experience as a confidence booster might just be delusional thinking from an alcoholic mind?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sleepie,

Congrats on job.........I think. Give it your best shot. :ghug3
Old 07-31-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

a big congratulation to the job. I hope you will make it. I would be concerned working at a bar as an alcoholic, since temptation is all around and I know I cannot control it that well just yet. hope it will work for you. Let us know how it goes....
Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keith, the phrase "confidence booster" jumped out at me too, because it reminds me of the What's Missing feelings (alcohol as the cherry on top when things are good). But to be fair to the post, Sleepie said it's a confidence booster that at least some business owner was willing to put her to work, not that having alcohol was a confidence booster.

Sleepie, I excelled at not drinking in front of other people for 6-plus hours at work parties/events and even social ones like New Year's Eve, but I drank when I got home. I have never worked in a bar/restaurant, but I suppose I would have applied the same skill I acquired in my 30s if I had to be around it for a work shift. I thought of myself as an alcoholic for a long time, but not in a way that amounts to truly recognizing it and possibly doing something about it. So, you, younger and a different person, may or may not complicate the effort to quit by working there. Part of me sees the option of working there as something you need for the reason you stated (you need to be working and recognized as a member of the work force). And alcohol is going to exist whether you work at that place or not. Your work on your recognition about what alcoholism is and how it has taken shape in your mind and body will need to exist whether you work there or not, by the same token. And it's quite likely that if you got a job at an art school, you could be dealing with drinking issues (or relapse issues), even years into it.

So I guess I drill this down to saying I'm glad you got the opportunity to work there, and give it a go, but don't forget about your other work on the inside.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Sleepie, are you sure you are willing to go to any lengths to stop drinking?