Notices

Omega-3

Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Omega-3

We've all heard that these oils (mainly in fish) are really good for you and have lots of health benefits, which would definitely make them a real plus for people recovering from alcoholism/drug abuse......... BUT, one thing I didn't know is that they're finding out that Omega-3 fish oil also acts as a kind of mood stabilizer and have had positive effects on people with depression and bipolar disorder.

There are new studies being conducted now to pin down how it works. And there are tons of articles on the other benefits, too. (see below)

Not trying to give any medical advice, but I thought it was interesting info and am going to be taking my fish oil capsules from now on (I needs all the help I can git!!)

"It not only plays a vital role in the health of the membrane of every cell in our body, it also helps protect us from a number of key health threats," says Laurie Tansman, MS, RD, CDN, a nutritionist at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York.

The benefits of omega-3s include reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke while helping to reduce symptoms of hypertension, depression, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), joint pain and other rheumatoid problems, as well as certain skin ailments. Some research has even shown that omega-3s can boost the immune system and help protect us from an array of illnesses including Alzheimer's disease.
- taken from a WebMD article
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What about eating the fish? Or eggs? Or nuts? Speaking from memory so maybe saying something stupid or listing food that is not really rich on omega-3.

Just a thought. I understand that part of the alcoholic behaviour is about finding fast/easy solutions to everything.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

just had a can of tuna in oil, however no effect on the mood yet :ghug3 lol
Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Flax oil is another good source of omega 3 fatty acids. I've been giving it to my dogs for several years now and they are both healthy and happy, considering that the beagirl is quite old and the other dog is diabetic. Vegetarians can get their omega 3 from flax oil.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Originally Posted by SASA View Post
just had a can of tuna in oil, however no effect on the mood yet :ghug3 lol
Maybe it would work with an iv drip?

Omega-3 are part of my daily vit cocktail along with a multi and b-complex. Started it just after i dried out and it seems to help. From what I've read, the body does seem to metabolize and synthesize vits much better from natural sources, so don't skimp on eating a couple servings of fish each week.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of the first recommendations my counselor made to me was to take a fish oil supplement daily. He swears by it. He said specifically to take fish oil capsules that are from wild caught salmon. I started taking it about 2 weeks ago, and I have to admit, my mood has stabalized quite a bit. Mine is wholemega, made by new chapter. 100% wild caught alaskan salmon oil. I like it especially because there is no fishy taste or after taste, which can happen from some supplements.

it helps joints, too.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amazing things you get to know about here... It did not occurred to me that omega-3 supplements are not synthetic... Ignorance, ignorance...

I have become more and more reluctant of taking supplements unless they were prescribed by a doctor. I guess many are aware of the studies linking reduced health expentancy with intake of 'artificial' vitamins (mainly A, D & E). Obviously, alcoholics are a case where vitamins are generally prescribed.

So I try my best to get vitamins and everything else naturally - Wild Alaskan salmon seems pretty good though!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

me too wilde, big fish eater here, canned Alaskan salmon works for me..mackeral is a very rich oily cheaper fish, which is full of all the fishy goodness you need..
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is a lot of talk about this topic in the Health and Fitness fourm. I think that it is important to take fish oils and a good multi vitamin everyday. I had not heard that it stabelizes mood but good to hear!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i take procaps labs. version of Omega 3 every day...they are a little more expensive but no after taste and they brag about their purity standards.

wild salmon is hard to get around here (vs. farm raised) and it's mad expensive.

IDK about my moods, they change frequently....I also take SAM-e 1200 mg. every day.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hubby and I take the one-a-days from Costco. In our experience, our cholesterol went down a modest, but noticeable, amount with no other obvious diet or exercise changes. I don't know if there will be other changes for me from taking it while not drinking.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've heard in several places that alcohlics, especially in early recovery are malnourished and a fairly heavy vitamin intake is recommended.

B-12 shot (not pills) are great mood stabilizers I you are deficient, which epparently many alcoholics are.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

I take fish oil pills almost daily (sometimes will skip if I'm actually eating fish). I love them and recommend it. The study I saw most recently was about prisoners becoming less aggressive after taking fish oil. I believe it helps me with irritability, and I like knowing it's helping with the heart and all too. Watch labels for purity/I try to buy ones made from low-mercury fish.

I also take B vitamins.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My doctor recommended taking a fishoil capsule daily years ago, and I have been taking them since. It's hard to say if it makes any difference, but there is no downside that I know of.