The realization that I'm an alcoholic.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you did check with your doctor
and I so hope the next few days will
be smooth for you.....

I used no med's for de toxing...and never took
anything for sleep in my life. I know it can be done.

Thanks for the update...we are here to support you
Old 07-29-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

mwstylee, I bet your roomates are asking' "Who is this woman in our house doing laundry and walking in a straight line?" LOL. Hey. Glad you're here. I wish I would have wised up as early as you did. But life is still good being sober at 39. Welcome and stick with it. SS
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update - Focus on not drinking each day or even each hour if need be. Watch out for the initial euphoria about being sober, it wears off fast and that little voice in our heads can rear its ugly head in a very convincing way.

Dave
Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dave, you hit the nail on the head. It's friday night and I would usually be plastered by now, either alone or with my regular Friday happy hour group of friends.

I'm honestly surprised that I'm sober right now on day 3...on a Friday night. I tried to take my mind off drinking by going out for sushi with some friends. (Of course I was questioned about why I didn't partake in the 4-5 rounds of sake bombs!) Well, now they are headed to the bar and I'm here at home. Now I'm trying to find something to do for the remainder of this night. Very tempted to go to the store and buy a fresh handle of absolut to occupy myself with but I'm pretty determined to have my first hangover free Saturday in a long, long time.

I think I'm going to take a walk around the neighborhood and see if any ideas come to me besides, besides the idea of getting hammered. peace!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hmmmm, that was my dilemma too, what was I supposed to do at night if I didn't get drunk....I read, watch a movie (did those too when I drank but now I remember them), have dinner wih friends, get to bed at a decent hour, at least once I got past he insomnia part.

For now that is all I want to do at night, but I am sure I will branch out...this is my third Friday night
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm enjoying the simple things on a Friday nights, dinner,movie,reading...peace..so much better than the chaos before...isnt it!!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

That was actually one of the big advantages of AA meetings, for me. Go hang out with a bunch of cool people who aren't drinking, at a time when I would usually have been drinking. Gave me a place to be and something to do, reinforcing my sobriety at the same time.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've been on a bit of a bender since Monday night, when I was invited to a bbq at someone's house. I was actually having a pretty good time being sober - biking, getting things done, etc but my will is not as strong as I had thought. Just returned from a beer festival this evening...I'll give it another shot soon. Peace!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Plenty of support here when you decide you're ready mwstylee.

D
Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

mwstylee....sorry you returned to drinking
before you gave sobriety a real chance.

Many of us did the same before we found
recovery from our alcoholism.

Don't forget where we are....
Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

HERE WE GO...serious attempt #2. I spent the past 2 weeks on a perpetual binge, for no reason other than "to enjoy an awesome summer with good friends". Drinking Absolut like it was water.

I spent 8am-noon today at work trying not to throw up at my desk, with a pounding headache, and the room was spinning if I turned my head too fast. Well, actually that's how I've been at work for the past 2 weeks.

Anyone else like hiphop? Dilated Peoples has this song called 'this way' - this time I've made up my mind, this time I'm back on my grind, I know there're things in my life that I'mma let go starting tonight. Peace!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back mwstylee

D
Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Perhaps the second time's a charm. It was for me.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My realization came when I did an online test and saw how my drinking compared to the average person's in the country. I drank more than something like 90 per cent of people my age. Once I stopped drinking, I looked around me with a clear head and saw that no one was drinking even close to what I did.

This is an awesome realization. I'm glad for you.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Trying it again...here it goes, day one is today. I have a professional exam coming up in a few months that requires about 500 hours of studying financial textbooks. Passing this exam means a raise and a bonus. It also means I'll have to devote a few hours every single day until the day of the exam, so I cannot be taking vodka shots the minute I get home. I'm hoping that having a goal and an actual activity that is vital to achieving that goal will help me quit this time.

I feel so ashamed of the fact that I woke up still extremely drunk this morning from last night and still drove to work. It was a very unproductive day...did a lot of internet browsing and very little work. I've quit enough times to know that I'll probably be up all night tonight, unable to sleep...going to buy some sleeping pills to be prepared this time. It's very sad to me that I cannot remember the most recent day that I didn't drink. I have to come online and look at my old posts to recall. Wow. Well, here goes...about to hit the books starting tonight.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you trying again mwstylee.
Nothing changes if nothing changes you know?

D
Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I had a hard time admitting that I was an alkie. To have to admit that i could no longer control my drinking but that my drinking controlled me meant personal defeat. A blow to my confidence so to speak. Both of my parents and most of my family are alkie to. I spent junior high and high school watching my mom using jail like a revolving door. In and out, in and out and it was embarrassing. Was always ashamed of bringing friends home after school cause I didn't know whether my mom would be passed out on the couch or just drunk out of her mind. One would think I would have used that as an example of why not to drink, but no. I had to go out and make those stupid mistakes for myself in order to learn my lesson. I wouldn't be completely honest if I said i quit for me. Cause in reality I quit so that I can be the beat father I can be for my kids and because I don't want them to grow up with the same shame and resentment that I did.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Today is my day 3. On the first night, I popped a sleeping pill and fell asleep but woke up at 2 am wide awake. It was about 30 degrees fahrenheit outside and the furnace wasn't on, but I was sweating like crazy. Weird abdominal pain that felt like heartburn, heart racing, hands a little trembly. Last night, day 2, it was much better - just a lot of sweating. Overall pretty crappy experience.

The surprising thing is I had a chance to go to dinner with some good friends that I havent' seen in a while. I always made excuses because I just wanted to stay home and get drunk and watch a movie. I also made it through a few chapters of a book and this was the first Saturday in months in which I've woken up with a purpose. I'm glad I'm not dry heaving, feeling sick, and on my way to the grocery store to buy more alcohol.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
MrX

I wish you could see my basement. The panel ceiling actually collapsed a couple of years ago from all the booze I hid from my ex-wife. Then I used floor space to store all the empties after my divorce because I didn't want the neighbors wondering why the recycle bin was over flowing with wine/whisky/beer containers. There must be 10 bags full down there. If anyone saw it there would be no question that I was an alcoholic. Of course that's a small fraction of what I drank after my divorce. This is day 4 for me and it's a sobering reality.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hello to all in our November group, and welcome to any new to joining. Congrats on having made it most of the way through another weekend without drinking. Or, if you slipped, jump back on this sober train.

Today is day 16 for me…thankful that it is a Sunday, and that start of a new week. Last week proved quite difficult for me in a variety of ways. My biggest victory was to stave off a couple of rather strong urges to drink.

I’m certain that the urge will once again hit me on my return home from my weekly visit with my Dad. He has had Alzheimer’s for the past many years, in final stage presently, and I spell the caregivers from noon Sat till 5PM Sunday each week. Just prior to my arrival yesterday he had a seizure lasting about 10 minutes that rendered him comatose and drooling. This was the first of this symptom, and for whatever reason he recovered fully by the time the ambulance arrived. It is a miserable disease, and wayyy to many times I would get drunk on my way home from this weekly journey. What an easy excuse it has provided for escaping reality.

Carlos

Welcome MrX…I am more than happy to join you in this sober journey!!