Notices

One Month Down!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Month Down!

I would like to thank the SR community for 1 full month of sobriety! This site has added needed support to help me battle my drinking issues. I know I have been risky this month because July has always been a very heavy drinking month for me in the past, and I still lived life like normal, went to parties, went to events where drinking would normally be my primary focus, and even had a weekend in Vegas. But I did not drink even after being offered numerous beers and cocktails, and asked why I am not drinking like normal numerous times.

I have thought about drinking on 2 or 3 occassions. One 2 nights ago and I thought I was going to be driving about 3 hours home alone, and I knew my wife would be gone for the next day and I wouldn't see her for about 24 hours, but I just remembered back to how bad I felt the last time, and all the reasons I wanted to stay sober, and it worked, then I checked out this site on my iphone, read a couple of posts, and got my mind right.

So thank you again for the wonderful site, it has been a tremendous tool that I wish I would have found a long time ago!! 1 month down, and the rest of my life to go!!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Super! Your Crew thanks u for helping this site be outa sight! Dint u hate iphone's "smart type"? It's become one of my favorite oxymorons along with Microsoft works.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm thrilled for you.....
Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats! keep going!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats to you! You should be so proud of yourself for thinking things through and not picking up that drink. I've found myself doing the same thing. Remembering how awful I've felt after a night of abusing myself with alcohol. Makes you think twice about going back to that awful place. Thanks for the encouraging post.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nice job Super!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Congrats Crew.. glad what you're doing is working for you.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all! And again I would like to thank SR. It has been a wonderful support tool for me to keep focused.

I hate to say it, but it has been pretty easy for me, ONCE I MADE UP MY MIND THAT I DIDN'T WANT TO DRINK, anymore. Hey maybe I'm not an alcoholic after all, I could probably handle it now that life is back to normal. What's one or 2 gonna hurt?? I'm sure if I could stop for a month I could probably moderate now. Right?? Right???

Wrong!!!!!! It's funny how the mind thinks like that, and how I have used that reasoning many times in the past, but the reality of it is, I now know that I can't drink like a normal person, and I have been enjoying knowing that fact.

Instead of making it a gloomy confession, (like I did when I had to quit drinking for the courts), I have been having some fun with my explanation to why I don't want a drink. I have been telling people that I have tendonitis in my right elbow, (which in fact I really do), and they look at me kind of dumbfounded, then I further explain that I have been bending it so much the last 20 years that I can't lift the glass to my mouth anymore. Most people laugh at the reference, but understand what I am making light of. It has lightened my issue and allows me to to use some self depreciating humor, then I drink a diet coke with my left hand.

I have also lost 10 lbs, and I feel that I am starting to think clearly again regarding my personal, financial and career goals for the future. Also my relationships with my wife, sons, parents and siblings has been greatly improved. Thank you again, I am enjoying life!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Super! Your Crew thanks u for helping this site be outa sight! Dint u hate iphone's "smart type"? It's become one of my favorite oxymorons along with Microsoft works.
Yes EW, I agree! My microsoft works never does, and the smart type was equally a misnomer.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's awesome, SuperCrew!! I love the elbow-bending comment, too! It's great that things are going so well for you, although I'm very jealous about the 10-lb. weight loss!

It's great to have you here at SR - you add a lot.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
That's awesome, SuperCrew!! I love the elbow-bending comment, too! It's great that things are going so well for you, although I'm very jealous about the 10-lb. weight loss!

It's great to have you here at SR - you add a lot.
Thank you Artsoul! As for the weight loss it was completely unexpected, because I used to think the drink helped me lose weight, I was somewhat of a bulemic alcoholic in that I would substitute booze for food, and would lose a lot of water weight nightly. But for some reason even though I am probably eating more, I am losing weight with my walking regimen. I can't explain it, but I'm not complaining either!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
Instead of making it a gloomy confession, (like I did when I had to quit drinking for the courts), I have been having some fun with my explanation to why I don't want a drink. I have been telling people that I have tendonitis in my right elbow, (which in fact I really do), and they look at me kind of dumbfounded, then I further explain that I have been bending it so much the last 20 years that I can't lift the glass to my mouth anymore. Most people laugh at the reference, but understand what I am making light of. It has lightened my issue and allows me to to use some self depreciating humor, then I drink a diet coke with my left hand.
:rotfxko
Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was somewhat of a bulemic alcoholic in that I would substitute booze for food, and would lose a lot of water weight nightly.
I have never heard it referred to that way, but it is very apt...didn't work so much for me, because I would always get to a point where I would get the munchies, so I would eat unhealthy on top of the wine. My aunt though is probably like that.

Congrats on the one month mark
Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I have never heard it referred to that way, but it is very apt...didn't work so much for me, because I would always get to a point where I would get the munchies, so I would eat unhealthy on top of the wine. My aunt though is probably like that.

Congrats on the one month mark
Thank you!

I used to get the munchies after drinking heavily, but I fixed that problem by drinking more. I could fluctuate my weight by about 4 lbs per night if I started drinking about 6pm and cut off eating anything until morning. I used this method to lose about 25 lbs in one month to win a bet.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I used to get the munchies after drinking heavily, but I fixed that problem by drinking more. I could fluctuate my weight by about 4 lbs per night if I started drinking about 6pm and cut off eating anything until morning. I used this method to lose about 25 lbs in one month to win a bet.
OMG...so unhealthy! Another reason to be glad for sobriety, don't make any more bets like that one!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
OMG...so unhealthy! Another reason to be glad for sobriety, don't make any more bets like that one!
Hey now, I won $100!! I think I bought a couple cases of beer and a bottle of vodka with it!! But seriously, I got so many compliments that weekend and people asking me how I did it, I was thinking about writing a new book called "the Vodka and Beer diet". The terrible thing was I was half serious about it in my drunken state! Let's put it this way, alcohol did not make me a smarter person!