Notices

day 8

Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 8

I recently posted about my drinking problem and made a goal of staying dry for 30 days. Im currently on day 8 and its only now im starting to crave a drink. Im a heavy binge drinker so its easy for me to stay off the drink for a few days after im satisfied with my binge but its usually after a week when i start getting the crave for it again. Ive noticed the reason why i want a drink is because i feel bored, restless and pissed off. Im hoping it passes soon. i woke up this morning feeling tired and not wanting to do anything and couldnt snap out of it, even planned to do a weights routine and couldnt gather the motivation to do it so feel even worse now...im hoping its the crave for alcohol that causing this lack of motivation....im still going to stay away from the drink and thats why im on here now lol thanks for listening
Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

****{foghead}}}

When this happens to me, I try to think beyond the first drink to how drinking won't really make me feel like I think it will and how sick and guilty I'll feel the next day.

I also let myself do anything I want to to not drink. I'm female, so that's usually chocolate, shopping, or Cary Grant movies, but you get the idea. Mostly, I'm just trying to mentally and physically break out of the situation in which I would usually drink.

If all else fails, I try to take a nap. My doctor has told me that taking a Benadryl pill is okay for me to take to help fall asleep - of course, I'm not recommending this for you without medical supervision, etc. - but regardless, I feel better once I wake up. I find that a nap kind of resets my thinking to a better place if I've been agitated before.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks mtwf...ive noticed ive been using the internet alot more the past few days just to keep my mind busy....i had a nap today and woke up feeling really down and empty but that only lasted for 5 mins. i just hope after a month im stronger minded and looking more clearly at my plans for my new future because now the drink has gone i dont really know what to do with myself. Its like i have to learn a new way to being social in social situations even change my whole personality and the way i respond to things when im around people . i think its just the fear kicking in now that i dont have drink as a comfy blanket or a maks to hide behind. just feel weird lol
Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Foghead, you said you're on Day 8? Me too.

You're going to have to learn to do something different - anything except drinking, obviously. Yesterday, I was craving for a beer or 2 or 3 or 6 and instead, I scrubbed the bathtub. It's been years since I've cleaned the tub because we've got maid service.

Nevertheless, I knew I had to do something to take the time away from the beer temptation.

I'm going to start doing many more projects around the house.

Drinking seems to be on my mind all day long. I keep wondering how long I'm going to go on without a drink.

I will be tested in the next couple of weeks with friends and family coming into town.

You keep going especially since I've found someone else on Day 8 with me!

I'll be looking for your updates.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If the craving is physical, try something with sugar. For me, it is fruit juice mixed with sparkling water. I drink some everynight, and after the first physical craving, I have not had one.

Doing anything to try not to think about it helps with the mental side, but it is hard. Remember that it will pass.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AlcoholicOrNot ....
Congratulations on your early sobriety
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 07-26-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Foghead....Well done on your sober time...

My recovery did require drastic changes in my
lifestyle and each one re-enforced my sobriety.

Are you eating healthy foods? Drinking lots of water?
Takeing a daily multi-viatmin + B 12?

All things I think helped me stay on track.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hello foghead and welome to sr.
you desribed exaclty why i drank too...sort of irritable,restless and discontent?
i drank essentially because it was my "solution" to life.i stopped drinking and still had all these feelings and it wasnt long before i drank again,it got too painful without it.
ive been sober about 18 months now and i use AA and the 12 steps for this.
have you thought about going to a meeting?
i could not do it on my own,i tried many many times and always went back.
like Carol said and it was the same for me i needed drastic changes in my life.
welcome to sr,this really is a great place for online support.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yea i take multi vits and drink plenty of water i also quit drinking coffee to calm my nerves. i know it will get better as ive done 3 weeks before and felt really good. Really clean inside and head was clear. i think once you hit a low and put it on here it gets it out of your head instead of letting it build up to the point were you just hit the bottle. it nice to see im not alone.............alcoholicornot...well done on day 8...we should stick together so we can moan about the way we feel lol atleast we will know how we feel then . head up folks..future looks good for us all
Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Congrats on 8 days! If you can get in some cardio, avoid too much sugar, and hyper processed food. Your system should even out in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=foghead;2662025]I recently posted about my drinking problem and made a goal of staying dry for 30 days.

How funny I also had the same goal this time around....believe it or not I've accomplished the impossible....I'm on day 32.........and I feel good.

This morning was really hard for me. I drove past a liquor store I used to buy from and I was so close to falling...But that sudden thought of throwing 32 hard working days out the window was not an option....As you accumulate more and more days under your belt you become stronger....a bit easier with your cravings but your mind becomes a warrior toward your sobriety....you can do it!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job, Shygirl!

It's kind of obvious and bit silly, but I read somewhere that you don't have to not drink, you just have to not have alcohol in your hand.

To me, not drinking is hard...but to go the store, buy something, come home, open it, pour it in a glass, and put it in my hand...well avoiding that is pretty easy, lol.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

well done shygirl on 32 days..makes me want to do 30 days even more now.