Notices

Question about Hangovers

Old 07-17-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about Hangovers

Question for you guys, has anyone gotten to the point where you didn't get hangovers anymore. I for years no matter how much I drank would not get hangovers. The only thing that would get me close to a hangover which was really just me waking up drunk was drinking 151 the night before. Just curious.. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I rarely got hangovers at the end of my drinking career. I rarely ever drank anything but beer, but by the end of the evening, I had usually had around a 12-pack. You build up a tolerance, I guess.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I rarely got hangovers at the end of my drinking career. I rarely ever drank anything but beer, but by the end of the evening, I had usually had around a 12-pack. You build up a tolerance, I guess.
Yeah I guess it has to do with tolerance. I've gotten to a point where beers wouldn't even get me a buzzed. My drinking consisted in mostly rum and vodka. After being sober for a couple of days I've become disgusted in myself and liquor as a whole.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Are you planning to quit drinking? I just celebrated 2 years sobriety earlier this month. There were times when it was difficult, but after the first couple of months, it's been smooth sailing.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bad hangovers for "new" drinkers is likely a form of Alcohol poisoning. Your body rejecting the alcohol makes you sick. Years later, withdrawals are your body missing the fix you now need to feel normal. In the middle of alcoholism are several years of tolerance where hangovers are almost non existent.I used to tell people I was "immune" to Alcohol and in a way, I guess I was. Until of course, I passed the threshold for the amount of alcohol my body could handle.

If you are drinking heavy and not getting a hangover you are likely in that middle ground.

Just my take on things of course...
Old 07-17-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Are you planning to quit drinking? I just celebrated 2 years sobriety earlier this month. There were times when it was difficult, but after the first couple of months, it's been smooth sailing.
I've quit.

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Bad hangovers for "new" drinkers is likely a form of Alcohol poisoning. Your body rejecting the alcohol makes you sick. Years later, withdrawals are your body missing the fix you now need to feel normal. In the middle of alcoholism are several years of tolerance where hangovers are almost non existent.I used to tell people I was "immune" to Alcohol and in a way, I guess I was. Until of course, I passed the threshold for the amount of alcohol my body could handle.

If you are drinking heavy and not getting a hangover you are likely in that middle ground.

Just my take on things of course...
Only symptoms I'd have after a night of drinking is the god damn sweat and the urge to continue drinking in the morning. Whatever though, I'm glad I've stopped. Having cravings especially on a Saturday night, having coffee instead. Thanks guys for the answers.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you that you stopped, I wasn't sure by your first post.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I thought I had gotten to the point where I no longer got hangovers. Turns out, I was just so used to feeling like steamed sh*t that I didn't notice the (near-constant) hangover.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've quit.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

steamed sh*t LOL! I say "hammered sh*t" but yeah, I hear ya.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No hangovers for me....I kept them away with another drink.

I figured that out way before I decided to quit.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
I thought I had gotten to the point where I no longer got hangovers. Turns out, I was just so used to feeling like steamed sh*t that I didn't notice the (near-constant) hangover.
Wow, this has made me think about my own situation. Maybe this was what was happening to me.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
No hangovers for me....I kept them away with another drink.

I figured that out way before I decided to quit.
What she said. Drunk 24 hours a day, whats a hangover??!!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

...to keep drinking to delay the hangover. I used to refer to it as "trying to out run a freight train". Eventually, it is going to catch up with you and it WILL hurt. OUCH!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I rarely got hangovers - occasionally sick if I drank a heap of citrus based drinks but aside from that - I always felt fantastic the next day, like I was born to just keep partying. I seriously believed that was my purpose for a while there. Lol.

It was only in the last few years of my drunken rampage that mornings became really bad - I suddenly became paranoid about what I could have done during blackouts, and although I knew I needed to stop drinking and all this would go away it still took a few years to actually give up. I began to care about what was happening to me a long time before I did anything about it. I guess most people do.

Mornings are mostly awesome now. I dont think I have any more bad mornings than the average person! That is one of my favourite things about sobriety, waking up and remembering going to bed
Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found the right mix of beer and good vodka. Most of the time I would wake up feeling fine even after a day of 15+ beers and half a bottle of vodka. Where I would get into hangover trouble was when the beer I drank wasn't available, and we would start shooting Jaeger or Tequila, and drinking a heavier beer. Then I would be drinking the next AM to "cure" the hangover, then I would time the withdrawal so I was sleeping when it happened, sometimes this would take a couple of days.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

UGGGGGH!! towards the end of my drinking, the hangovers were horrible, so was my anxiety..took all my energy to get out of bed for work, if I went at all.....I never picked up in the morning (unless I was camping) the thought of that would have made me sick.... I play the tape forward to those terrible hangovers, and feelings of dread...those memories will never fade....thank GOD for sobriety!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The quality of what you drink has a lot to do with hangovers. I thought it was all bull s until I talked to someone about it. I drank 6 cans of Steel Reserve in the midst of my drinking career and got the worst hangover I had had in years. I mean not wanting to leave bed, headache, nausea etc. I said wtf is this all I had was a few beers? But honestly the process they use to make the alcohol and the filtering process as well as the quality of the water and ingredients can make a huge difference. I know some people will be skeptical of this but if you don't believe me have a friend who still drinks switch out their bud for some steel reserve. They will call you in the morning to complain about your beer choice.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UniqueNewYork View Post
The quality of what you drink has a lot to do with hangovers. I thought it was all bull s until I talked to someone about it. I drank 6 cans of Steel Reserve in the midst of my drinking career and got the worst hangover I had had in years. I mean not wanting to leave bed, headache, nausea etc. I said wtf is this all I had was a few beers? But honestly the process they use to make the alcohol and the filtering process as well as the quality of the water and ingredients can make a huge difference. I know some people will be skeptical of this but if you don't believe me have a friend who still drinks switch out their bud for some steel reserve. They will call you in the morning to complain about your beer choice.
This is not BS...you are completely right. It wasn't just with beer either. Vodka was the same. The cheaper the vodka the worse the hangover, (great advice given to me by my Dad! ). Thats why getting drunk got really expensive the last couple of years for me. Because I know how I felt after drinking the cheap stuff. Like I said if I could stick to my brand of beer and my brand of vodka I wouldn't get any hangover. That being said, that's what led me to drinking 5-7 nights a week, and what started scaring me. If I didn't have a hangover it gave me even more incentive to hit the bottle more often. Although the hangovers werent there, issues with my memory, my eyesite, drinking and driving regularly, and basically functioning daily as a drunk became the bigger issue, then trying to hide my bottles and mask my drunkeness with visine and gum and mouthwash, and making sure I had enough booze in me so I wouldn't start withdrawaling while I was away from the bottle for a couple of hours became an hourly job. Not having the hangover created a much bigger mess in the long run.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UniqueNewYork View Post
I never knew that - I was always satisfied blaming the mixer - I guess that was my mind playing tricks on me again......lol sick off dozens of margharitas? must be the lime juice!