Notices

Question about Hangovers

Old 07-28-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I was so use to feeling like 200 lb of smashed assholes 24/7 I didn't consider it a hangover.
Same here. Like someone else said up above, I never threw up but felt horrible all day, every day.

I was sick because I drank and I drank because I was sick

That was my daily cycle. Feel terrible all day and drink every night. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I had completely forgotten what it was like to be sober and not hung over. There was not one minute out of the day when I wasn't affected by my drinking.

Day: Feel terrible
Night: Drunk
Sleep: Passed Out/Not good sleep.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I haven't had a drink in over two years and I still don't know what that feels like.

Sorry.
This made me laugh. I've never been a morning person, ever.

At least now that I'm sober I can feel good physically while I hit the snooze button 4 times, sulk around the kitchen, make coffee with one eye open, and tell my partner to not talk to me.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
I don't even remember what waking up feeling great and refreshed feels like. Do you ever see those people in movies/TV who wake up, open up the curtains with a smile on their face, and merrily hop in the shower and start their day? I have no idea what that feels like.
Just wanted to follow up on this post of mine from a while ago. Today is 132 days sober and I now know exactly what that feels like. I find myself smiling for no reason sometimes at 6am when I'm brushing my teeth and getting ready for work. Step outside - take a deep breath in - the air smells so different and fresh early in the morning. Step in my car and roll down the windows to let the morning breeze in, and watch the sun rise as I make my way to the office.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

When I first started drinking my hangovers would be really bad... headaches....dry mouth the whole deal.... towards the end of my drinking it became different... No headache... just fuzziness....like I couldn't concentrate.

My last hangover was February 23rd, 2012. I'm very grateful that I haven't had a reason to have another one.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I always got extremely bad anxiety hangovers. More lately though the anxiety got less and less and I would be fine by mid afternoon, just a little edgy. But then I would fool myself by saying 'I will just have a small drink tonight to take the edge of it'

Also, on a few occasions in the last 6 months when I had weekends without the children (they go to their dads alternate weekends) I would wake up and get right back on the ale. One morning both me and my boyfriend woke up at 11am, went straight to the off-licence and bought more Wine and Beers... and spent the whole weekend drunk! But it chased the hangovers away! I thought I was so clever!

I do have a 'no drink before 12pm' rule, because that's what time the pubs open and with us just having summer here, I spent most of it in a beer garden!

Anyways, the fact my hangovers were decreasing was a sign I need to quit!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

30 years of drinking more and more, my hangovers near the end where morbid near death like experiences , followed by dark thoughts , panic attacks then itchy skin.

All that gone, free from it forever !
Old 09-17-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Good topic and thanks for the update!

For me...I thought I didn't get hangovers, until I quit drinking and realized that I was so used to feeling horrible every morning that I didn't even realize what a hangover felt like.

Oh yeah, I got hangovers. Don't anymore!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

yup, i got em. got into recovery over 7 years ago and havent had one since.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I never knew when I would have a hangover- didn't seem to follow a pattern. Sometimes I had them sometimes I didn't. When I did though- couldn't get out of bed the next day. Anxiety, vomiting, headaches, suicidal thoughts...etc etc etc.

Haven't had a hangover since April 27!