Old 07-18-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm..

For quite a few years I was a connoisseur
at the end....I was a common swer.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I used to be able to drink a 12 pack of beer and be fine the next day. Then it got to where I would get drunk Saturday, have maybe one or two beers on Sunday and feel awful all the way in Monday afternoon. I also had HORRIBLE anxiety. I quit, and all that went away.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I get bad hangovers, anxiety to go with it too
Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A hangover would require me to stop drinking and I wasnt having that.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
What she said. Drunk 24 hours a day, whats a hangover??!!

I agree, I didn't have a chance to get hung over cause I was constantly drunk.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have never heard of drinking but not getting hung-over. I had rip roaring hangovers that, yes, required me to drink more. Getting drunk with no hangover is kinda like cake with no calories.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I guess if I had been smart enough, I would have drank in the morning too to ward off the hangover! (But I wouldn't drink in the AM, because now THAT would have meant I was an alcoholic!):crazy Towards the end, I think I was going through withdrawal moer so than having a hangover. Very grateful that's not a part of my life today!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I hadn't had a hangover per se in many years before I stopped. I will tell you that I woke up feeling like a$$ and would just pour a few to get feeling "ok."

I was in a constant fog anyways from the all the booze that even months after quitting, I still get the occasional fog....feeling like I am drunk/out of it. Passes quickly but that is probably the aftereffects of forcing a substance in my body to unholy levels.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
A hangover would require me to stop drinking and I wasnt having that.
:rotfxko

I didn't have hangovers (at least none that really bothered me) for the last 5 yrs of my drinking (+/-).

"I don't GET hungover" was one of the pegs I hung my "but I CAN'T be an alcoholic" hats on all the time. I didn't puke either - last time I threw up was probably 10 yrs before I got sober. That was even more proof (in my mind) that I didn't have any problem with alcohol. In fact, I felt those two "proved" that I was uniquely built to handle alcohol!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

For the most part, I kept hangovers tolerable by consuming large quantities of water vitamins and ibuprofen before going to bed drunk. This way, I usually woke up feeling OK, water was really the key and I understood this and so I managed my hangovers. Occasionally I would be too drunk or too lazy to do this before falling asleep and I suffered the next day. This whole routine got very tiresome and I'm so glad to be sober today and not having to think like that anymore.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
I thought I had gotten to the point where I no longer got hangovers. Turns out, I was just so used to feeling like steamed sh*t that I didn't notice the (near-constant) hangover.
Ditto
Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

"I don't GET hungover" was one of the pegs I hung my "but I CAN'T be an alcoholic" hats on all the time. I didn't puke either - last time I threw up was probably 10 yrs before I got sober. That was even more proof (in my mind) that I didn't have any problem with alcohol. In fact, I felt those two "proved" that I was uniquely built to handle alcohol!
that made me giggle. I too believed I was uniquely built to handle alcohol - and that my life purpose was simply to party, and make sure everyone else always had someone to party with. They never had to ask.....everyone knew if noone else was doing anything - there could always be drinks at my house!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I didn't have hangovers (at least none that really bothered me) for the last 5 yrs of my drinking (+/-).

Wow, I can really relate. I hadn't puked no matter what I was drinking for so many years.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saj

Fear as a deterrent

I also felt that I was custom built to withstand the effects of copious amounts of alcohol, I believed that my body could take it in ways that other people's bodies couldn't. And as a real Alcohol warrior, I could really put them down! Tried to keep it to the weekends, but that didn't always work. Even during the week though, I would wake up the next day, go to work and perhaps hit the gym later on in the afternoon (I realize now, this continual pushing of myself must have been terrible on my system).

This conviction of invincibility was true for me up until very recently. I began getting feeling really bad the next day after a heavy night of partying, I would feel very disoriented. Then one morning, I just broke out into a panic attack like fit. Slowed down a bit, but kept going at it. Then a month and half or so later, I crashed. After a hard weekend, I felt like my body just deflated over night. I have since been experiencing muscle tenderness and deterioration. I am constantly out of energy and I just feel like **** generally. I feel anxiety stricken all them time. It all happened all of a sudden. I could have never foreseen this a few months ago.

It took me until this point to stop. I wish I could say I stopped drinking or slowed my drinking out of some epiphany of wanting to be a better person. I wish I could say I decided to make more meaningful use of my time, rather than then spending it in the adventurous land of my drunken debauchery.
No I stopped because I feel that I have to and if I keep drinking it will get worse. I am afraid, and it is fear that stopped me.

I'm wondering how it is that other people decide to stop...
Old 07-24-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Fear was the motivator for me, too.

FWIW, I know no out-of-control drinkers who simply decided that quitting drinking was the only sensible thing to do. Virtually all of us are forced, one way or another, to the conclusion we must stop drinking.

In my case I'd never gotten a DWI, never lost a job or relationship, never went to jail. I'd had a couple of close calls that got my attention, but ultimately my physical state (almost identical to the one saj describes--I was sick enough at work that someone had to drive me home) was what scared me into sobriety. It was more than that, of course, but that was the triggering, light-bulb moment, my "moment of clarity."

Also, I almost never got hangovers anymore--not in the headache-sick-to-the-stomach way I got when I drank in high school and college. What I DID get was withdrawals. Which made me feel like I was in a constant panic attack, all day, every day, during the week--until I could come home from work and give myself my "medicine".

What a hellish way to live.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm fighting to stay sober all the time after relapsing countless times. Right now I don't really get hangovers but there is a lot of vomiting, guilt, shame. I can last a few weeks but then I fall into 3-4 day binges.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I was so use to feeling like 200 lb of smashed assholes 24/7 I didn't consider it a hangover.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

saj ....Welcome back....

The final 5 years of my drinking I was drinking alcoholically.
I had slid into depression...without apparent reason.

My 3rd psychiatrist diagnosed me with situational depression.
He suggested AA.

Off I went....I did have periods of sobriety but I returned
to drinking many times. I felt doomed ...hexed.

Why was I drinking when I truly wanted to stop?

Then I read a book "Under The Influence" by Milam
& ketcham. We have excerpts here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

That was the defineing moment for me.

I took that info....re-newed my committment
to God and AA.
I've not had another drink

The situational depression vanished by the end
of 2 months of AA recovery.
It's never returned....21 years later.

When I began working the AA Steps....I felt a shift in
perception.....from shakey sobriety into solid recovery.

Shared with hope it helps you too win over alcohol!
Yes! you can find your way into a healthier future...
Old 07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
I thought I had gotten to the point where I no longer got hangovers. Turns out, I was just so used to feeling like steamed sh*t that I didn't notice the (near-constant) hangover.
That's a pretty good way to put it. When I feel like utter crap every morning, I do get a little used to it. I don't even remember what waking up feeling great and refreshed feels like. Do you ever see those people in movies/TV who wake up, open up the curtains with a smile on their face, and merrily hop in the shower and start their day? I have no idea what that feels like.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I haven't had a drink in over two years and I still don't know what that feels like.

Sorry.