Notices

Time

Old 07-17-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Time

Hi Everyone,

Guess its finally time to Post my story. I've been here since May and I'm currently on day 48. I can't thank the people here enough for posting their stories and struggles. Helped me so much and got me through some rough days.

I started drinking 4 years ago. Innocently at first and quickly turned obsessive. Bad marriage, family problems, illness, had to have my 16 yr old cat put down and death of my best friend.... my beautiful Mom. The list goes on but .......maybe another day.

Thought I could drink my problems away. Found out the hard way it only made things worse. Ten times worse and drinking created more. Tried to stop numerous times and failed. Promises broken, bad behavior, the usual consequences for an alcoholic.

I prayed and prayed for the strength to stop. I believe I was granted that and here I am. Alcohol free Getting divorced after 29 years . A little lonely but more peaceful. Time to reclaim my life and find what makes ME happy. I know I have a long road ahead of me, know times will be rough. Have to deal with depression etc. As long as I stay sober I can face my problems and make better choices.

Thank you for listening and send my love and best wishes to all of you as we continue our journey for a alcohol/drug free life.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Opivotal,

Thanks for your story - I can relate to a lot of what you've shared.

You really have had a hard time of it but you can be rightly proud of yourself for coming out the other side having done the right thing. Positive posts like yours really help me keep going especially as I still have the odd wobble on thinking that I'm doing the right thing.

Keep at it
Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on 48 days, op!! Facing life isn't easy for anyone, and can be even harder when we're newly sober. Coming here and reading posts like yours is really encouraging (like xoffender said).

Keep the good faith!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

48 ehh?? Good for you! I'm at 11 days today. Sorry about your losses, when my parents pass which realistically is not going to be all that far down the road, I'm going to really hurt...hopefully I'll be long sober and clear headed when that dreaded time comes. The cat...wow do I hear that one, I had a siamese for 18 years, grew up with her by my side. When she had to be put to sleep this stubborn dude that thought he was so strong cried uncontrollably the whole weekend. Pets really get into our hearts with unconditional love dont they, this sounds awful but sometimes I think..people suck, animals rule!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Everyone,

Your words of encouragement mean a lot. As you all know its a day to day battle. Sorting all things out. Hey Tex thanks for your story. IMO it makes you more of a man to admit the love you had for your Kitty. I'm very sorry for your loss. I have to agree with you, unconditional love. Also, don't think it sounds awful, animals Do rule! People sometimes lol not so much.

Take care everyone . Lets keep up the fight!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Get hooked up with some guys in AA or whatever recovery path you're on who've been through a divorce and did it sober. My wife left after years of me unconsciously forcing her out. I was still drinking at the time. I recall a whirlwind of emotions.....like WHOA NELLY. I was devastated.

If I had to go through another one now and valued my sobriety, which I do immensely, I'd never even think for a second about trying to do it on my own.

Sharing and reading on this board will help but there's nothing like a face-to-face meeting with someone.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way to go....
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Daytrader,

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. What you said about the face to face aspect. I believe you hit the nail on the head. I'm into my second month and believe it certainly wouldn't hurt to explore that aspect of recovery. I have so many changes going on right now. Can be overwhelming at times. I've been doing this on my own and think I need another point of view. Thank you all for your comments. You've been my lifeline.