Notices

5 Months

Old 10-15-2003, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Months

Hi, I haven't had much time with the move and all. I am in a great new apartment.
I am having new furniture delivered rather
than bringing the old junk my wife and I used to settle for. There is no way that this would have come about if I were still drinking. I just hit 5 months yesterday. Anyone starting out, just hang in there. I can't promise you what I have gained material wise but, I can tell you that the best thing is having myself, not back but, maybe for the first time in my life. I am acting and doing things the way I always wanted to but, couldn'y while on alcohol.
Just simple things, like today I called and had my phone turned on. This was because I moved, not because it was shut off for non payment. Don W
Old 10-15-2003, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I agree

Don W,

I hit 5 months on Oct 7th, so I know exactly what you mean. Getting to do those simple things is a big accomplishment in my book. Feeling like a whole person again. Making decisions, keeping promises.

Congrats on your new appartment, and your new LIFE without alcohol. There's a whole new world out there for us now. The fun part is getting to discover it.

Keep up the good work!

PG
Old 10-16-2003, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What Good News!!

Congratulations Don!!

Old 10-16-2003, 04:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you Don, thats wonderful

Love
Patsy
Old 10-16-2003, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Don, it's encouraging to see a post like yours. No wild turkeys around your new place?
Take care,
Wiebe
Old 10-16-2003, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Yea... Don.. must be a relief.. no feathered friends around!!! But anyway... CONGRATS!!!
Old 10-17-2003, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Way to go Don!

I look forward to making 5 months. I just hit 1 month yesterday and feel great! Work even seems fun nowadays.....

Congratulations!!
Old 10-17-2003, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone, I am glad to hear others finding their way out of the fog of
alcohol. Lane, welcome to the boards. That is great i month. Just take it slow and hang in there. What has helped me is that I don't keep anything to myself. In the past I would pretend eveything was fine. No matter how small the thought . The last week or so with the Red Sox in the mix I was really missing the bar scene. I told people in AA at the VA Hospital and even the people in the health dept. at work. I am on a special program that I get tested un-
anounced. I had to listen to some things I didn't want to hear, like you won't get another chance with you job.
However, I have found this time around
listening to what I don't want to hear
and doing what I may not want to do, has made a difference. Like now, I can tell you all that because of the move I haven't made as many meeting as I could have. How easy it is to get into a dangerous pattern of " I'm too busy, or
I"m too tired." This has bothered me and I have kept it to myself. Well!, it's out there. Talk is cheap, so I am going to take steps to correct this pattern. I am going to get back to work. If, I don't get back. Keep up the great work, and thank you all for your support and encouragement. I am going to start looking at computers so I'll be able to post at home. One more thing. I don't know about you but, I really get a great feeling when I see the locations and realize that good people all over the world are being freed from addictions. I am amazed at the talent and caring that is being hidden inside that alcohol fog. I am proud to be among you and pray that more will join us. Don W
Old 10-18-2003, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

belated congrats Don!

Old 10-18-2003, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

WTG! Congratulations! And keep on doing what you're doing!
Old 10-19-2003, 01:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don,

I'm really happy to hear how well your doing. five month is great. I'm hangin in there, dealing with some challenges, but that is part of life.

I (we, husband, daughter and I) have moved also. We got a very nice house in a different neighborhood of the same city. We really like it here.

I have yet to cease being amazed at the benefits I receive from continuing to be in recovery.

Juls
Old 10-20-2003, 02:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Don,

Congratulations on 5 months! A great achievment. And your new home, and you have control over when and where your phone gets turned on (and off). Simple pleasures are the best,

Gianna
Old 10-20-2003, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Don! You're a wise man and you've made a big step toward continued sobriety by working to stop a pattern you've seen cause you problems before. Glad to hear you're going to be 'connected' at home too. It'll mean we can hear more from you.

Love and hugs, Anna
Old 10-21-2003, 07:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone, You are all a big part of my recovery plan. No! I havn't seen
any feathered turkeys. However, My new apartment is right in the middle of Boston College, Boston University and a few other smaller schools. Friday and Saturday night I saw a couple of human turkeys. Don W