Notices

Question about the Physiology of an Alcoholic

Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about the Physiology of an Alcoholic

After doing some reading here I have some questions:

I began drinking as a teenager. I have always had much more aggressive hangovers than my peers, even when we have drank the same amounts. Is is possible that my body doesn't process liquor the same way "normal" people's do?

Should the fact that I would get so sick from drinking have been an indicatior that I had alcoholic tendancies?

I have been able to quit drinking for short periods of time... sometimes as long as twenty or so days, but usually for about a week or two. How long does it take for your body to recover from the abuse we have put it through with drinking? I read the "what to expect" forum, and it was helpful, but I'm not sure where I fit into the picture.

My drinking has definately gotten worse the past two years... it isn't that uncommon for me to drink 3/4 of a pint of vodka in one night at least once a week. I haven't progressed to the point where I am drinking all day long yet, but I have thought about drinking as a way to kill my hangover before. Like, "if I just have a few drinks it will make me feel better", but then I end up drinking enough to get a buzz and end up feeling twice as bad the next day.

I'm telling you, my hangovers are vicious. Which really says a lot about how determined I have been to drink... any normal person wouldn't put themselves through the pain I cause myself.

Does anyone know if someone who is pre-disposed to alchohalism tends to get sicker from drinking, or is everyone just different?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think it's universal, but I had your same experience when I first started drinking. I also threw up every single time I drank.

I've read that it takes 12 to 18 months to heal the damage that heavy drinking causes to the brain.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi AlaskaGirl, great question.

I, too, wonder about this. When I drank I got miserable hangovers -- really seemed to be worse than others around me.

After abusing alcohol the past 2-3 years, my hangovers are even worse than before. It's now the case that if I even have a couple of drinks I suffer pretty badly. My very unscientific interpretation is that my body is telling me to stop in no uncertain terms.

I don't know the answer to your question, but will be interested to hear other's responses!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a great book on the subject, Beyond the Influence, by Katherine Ketcham.

From Amazon.com In the nearly 20 years since Ketcham coauthored Under the Influence, it has become a classic in identifying and treating alcohol addiction. Now, with new coauthor Asbury (an experienced journalist and "recovered" alcoholic), she restates much of her original material, with additional support from recent scientific research. The authors define alcoholism as "a genetically transmitted neurological disease," not the result of a character defect or moral weakness. They explain in exhaustive detail the effects of "the drug alcohol" on the human body and brain in both alcoholics and nonalcoholics. Clearly and concisely, they offer abundant information on such usually neglected topics as the importance of nutrition and identifying early to middle-stage symptoms of the disease.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the end, does it really matter?

I hear where you are coming from - I read a bunch of books on alcoholism, that is my nature. But focusing on sobriety one day or hour at a time was more fruitful than understanding the why.

Keep it simple alaskagirl!

Dave
Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David 1 View Post
In the end, does it really matter?

I hear where you are coming from - I read a bunch of books on alcoholism, that is my nature. But focusing on sobriety one day or hour at a time was more fruitful than understanding the why.

Keep it simple alaskagirl!

Dave
LOL David. I guess I am looking for some reason that I am like this way, trying to convince myself that it goes way beyond me just being able to have better "control" when I am drinking. Years ago I would drink to blackout stage and do things that were horribly embarrasing and dangerous.

I learned to "manage" my drinking better and convinced myself as long as I wasn't doing really stupid stuff I was OK. Now I am having a different conversation with myself: I am harming myself whether other people realize it or not. I think my brain reacts badly to drinking, so no drinking at all is the only safe bet for me.

I'm not sure if any of that makes scense. I guess what I mean is I am trying to arm myself with as much information as possible to help me combat the inevitable moment when my brain starts telling me that "it's OK, just have one or two drinks... it's fun and makes you feel good. You can control it, I promise." Insert evil brain laughter here.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alaska, we have very similar stories, though my poison was wine, not vodka.

One thing that made it harder for me to decide to stop was that I almost never get hangovers, and when I did, it was just a stuffy-feeling head that disappeared with a Panadol, even when I'd poured a bottle and a half of wine down my throat the night before.

I convinced myself that not getting hangovers was a sign I was not drinking dangerously, despite all other evidence to the contrary.

Recently I have read that up to 20 percent of the population has a kind of built-in resistance to hangovers.

I don't think it matters whether you get easy hangovers or horrible ones, what you need to look at is the drinking itself.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AlaskaGirl - perhaps you and I should look at these brutal hangovers as blessings in disguise. I cannot even moderate anymore without feeling like crap. It makes the decision to quit entirely a little more clear cut, I think.

I like to think of it as my body having a particular intolerance to alcohol, more than the average person, and also a greater propensity toward abusing it than the average person. I don't know whether the two go hand in hand, but in my case they do.

In a way, doesn't this make things easier to take? It gives me added motivation to stop.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Zebra...Thanks for sharing about "Beyond"
though I've not read it.

I did quit drinking after I read "Under The Influence"
by Milam & Ketcham in '89.
The vital part for me was how my body and brain
were no longer processing alcohol correctly.

We do have excerpts here.....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I also followed thee nutrition/supplement plan for about
6 months. I consider that is why I did not have
to deal with PAWS.

Hope your experience with "Beyond" was as beneficial.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi AG..My hangovers were horrible as well, and people who drank like me, or more didn't seem to experience the same type of hangover......I'm reading a great book.."Healing the Addicted Brain" amazing stuff in it....
Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AG......
I certainly hope you will read either book...
"Under The Influence" or "Beyond The Influence"

Amazon usually has both.

Glad to see you are asking questions....
Again.....Welcome to our recovery community
Old 07-14-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
After doing some reading here I have some questions:

Does anyone know if someone who is pre-disposed to alchohalism tends to get sicker from drinking, or is everyone just different?
in every piece of literature i've ever read everyone is different.
the hangover largely depends on your nutrient / electrolyte balances. you can vitamin load before you binge, but the booze tends to strip 99% of whatever you take in regardless of your attempt to counter act it.

Basically, your hangover is your own body's unique way of telling you that the night before was not a good idea.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Most alkies get sick......frequently. Not because getting sick is indicative of alcoholism but because the disease is progressive - it gets worse over time. The amount of booze that "works" today won't be enough in 6 months or a year from now. As consumption goes up, the body's desire to expel it goes up too.

For me, I didn't puke once after my late 20's. I went on to drink ALCOHOLICALLY for another ten years. All the while, I held onto my LACK of puking/hangovers as "proof" that I wasn't an alcoholic.

1. Mental obsession about drinking, "partying" and/or escape from reality.
2. Physical craving once I start. (have a little and I alllllllways want more)
3. When I'm not drinking (or getting ready to drink) I see my life was full of irritability, restlessness, and discontentedness. - I just wasn't happy all that often and, when I was, it was fleeting.

#2 is the biggie there..... NOT ONE "normal" drinker experiences that one.

hangovers, sickness, etc are all up in the air.

good luck to ya.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just ordered both books from Amazon. Thanks Zebra and Carol!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by traderjane View Post
AlaskaGirl - perhaps you and I should look at these brutal hangovers as blessings in disguise. I cannot even moderate anymore without feeling like crap. It makes the decision to quit entirely a little more clear cut, I think.

I like to think of it as my body having a particular intolerance to alcohol, more than the average person, and also a greater propensity toward abusing it than the average person. I don't know whether the two go hand in hand, but in my case they do.

In a way, doesn't this make things easier to take? It gives me added motivation to stop.
Thanks everyone! Traderjane, I agree that we should look at this as a blessing in disguise. I have often thought before if I didn't get as sick as I do from drinking I would probably be drunk all the time.

I did read quite a few of the exerpts from "Under The Influence" that are posted in the forum. Very interesting. I will definately order the two books recommended.

Day three without drinking... not that big of a deal for me because I tend to bing. I am paying attention to my body more though... I get night sweats and have just written them off as being too hot. Now I realize they are a symptom of my drinking. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to start sleeping better, etc.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond. I am so excited about finding this place. I have never confided my deepest fears about drinking and now I feel like I have a safe place to do so.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I personally never got hangovers. But I could never stop at one. 1 = 30 in my math. I've been in AA a while now and there are certain thing to look for. Do others think you have a problem? Can you stop at one or two? Does your drinking get you in trouble? I was drinking a 26oz a day, running on three hours sleep calling in to work cuz I was too drunk and had two drunk driving charges. Eventually you have to admit defeat and learn to better manage life. Drinking was not helping me do anything but numb the pain. So now Bill's my bud and I've not felt better.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi TheTraveler!

Congrats on your sobriety and welcome to SR!

(Just to let you know, this is an old thread. If you'd like to, feel free to introduce yourself in the Newcomers section of the forum).