Notices

How do I thank SR for 2 years sober

Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I thank SR for 2 years sober

SR has been here for me when I needed it.
I joined when I was still deciding if quitting, rather than abstaining for X amount of time, was what I really wanted to do.
I came here to ask for help with that decision and I came here to learn.
The help came immediately and it was from a variety of perspectives with a variety of advice, suggestions and questions to me that made me think.
That made me come back while I was deciding for about 10 days.

I optimistically believed that I was transforming into a better version of myself or I wouldn't have picked the name I did.

Two years ago last night I was drunk.
Two years ago today I had the worst hangover.

Today, I have completed 2 years sober.

I think the variety here is the key to makes SR special. There is no one method that we all agree on....in fact sometimes that disagreement is pretty heated... but we do agree on the goal.

Thank you all for helping make my optimism a reality.

I know it's not much a payback for all that I've received but I try to thank SR by helping people here as I was helped. I might not be as good at as some and I have ruffled some feathers but I'd like to think I've smoothed more feathers than I've ruffled.

We do need each other. I believe that even when things are going well for us it is truly a great gift for us to know that SR is here.

Thank you SR
Thank you all SR members and readers.

Sincerely,

joinedintime
Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for the kind words and for being here with us!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
...The help came immediately and it was from a variety of perspectives with a variety of advice, suggestions and questions to me that made me think.

...the variety here is the key to makes SR special. There is no one method that we all agree on....in fact sometimes that disagreement is pretty heated... but we do agree on the goal.

...We do need each other. I believe that even when things are going well for us it is truly a great gift for us to know that SR is here.
2 years is amazing joinedintime, and I SO agree with what I quoted from you above. This site is exactly these things for me, and for that I'm also grateful beyond words.

Congratulations on 2 years back from the brink!!

:day1
Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on two year!!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Way to go on two years sober!! The original class of July! I think you give back all the time. Any time you help someone here you're giving back that which was given to you. Congrats again!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 years of recovery. We are all in this together. We have each other, without the judgement. Isn't it awesome? We wouldn't have been able to do it without you. We are all so happy that your here. Keep coming back.

:ghug3
Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You just did - As an inspiration and example for others to follow!

Dave
Old 07-13-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Congratulations and excellent post!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats! You are an inspiration to us all who continue to struggle and keep coming back here for support and wisdom. The way to thank SR is to keep posting and helping the rest of us who don't have the time you have and still continue to struggle everyday. Your success has helped to strengthen my resolve to not drink tonight/today and keep going so thank you, from a guy on day 7!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know what to say.
Each and every one of your comments have touched me and it's in a variety of ways just like two years ago.
It means a lot to hear that someone can relate to what I'm saying.

Postparty, my inspiring you to move on from day 7 has inspired me to move on into year 3 with that much more positive inspiration. I hope that you will someday feel the same way when you are the inspiration to someone else just starting out because it's a very good feeling.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Joinedintime - Congrats on the two years and also feel inspired reading your post! (or anyone's post for that matter! )
Old 07-14-2010, 02:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations! At 5 months myself seeing your positivity and how much you have clearly healed is massive motivation- Thank you JustInTime and well done for your achievement
Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We thank you!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Thanks Joined, for sharing that HUGE milestone with us. Two years is one helluva long time! Remember when 2 HOURS was a killer?

and you say thanks best when you frequent the site, "listen" to others, and try to be helpful to other recovering ppl. You've got to give it away in order to keep it.......that's the best way to say thanks.

Congrats!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for that post!! Great post!!

Nice one on 2 years sober too!! That is a fantastic achievement!!

Increase The Peace
Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just got back from a memorial service for a friend that OD'd on drugs and alcohol in her mid twenties. Despite all her troubles she was a vibrant positive person but she just wouldn't stop self medicating in addition to the prescribed med's for her multiple physical conditions. Finally her body gave in.

I shared my personal 2 yr success and perspective with a few of the others there that cared to listen. Perhaps losing a friend will have some positive impact on them. Some of them couldn't even make it through the gathering without drinking.

We can only try.

Thanks for the continued kind words and support.
They mean even more today than they did yesterday.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for your example, joinedintime, and sorry for the loss of your friend.

I am thankful that you are reminding us that we all do not have to go that way.

You chose life; I chose it on Thursday. Thanks for being a continued inspiration to everyone here.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on your sobriety, and thank you so much for sharing about your friend. Both have added to my sobriety today. It's so tragic that people are dying every day from addiction and makes me feel tremendously grateful for people like you who were here at SR to help me decide to get sober once and for all.

The support here is more than just good advice and a pat on the back. It's the kind of support that can bring tears to our eyes and give us a reason to keep living. I can't thank you enough for your post(s). Can't wait to read your post at year three.......:day7
Old 07-17-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 years. Your post is sure to be an inspiration to others.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've been away from home off and on for the last couple weeks so I just checked in on a few threads and my last few posts and saw that 30 people had thanked me for my post here.

Wow.

I don't remember ever having 30 people thank me for the same one thing in my life. I have a big thankful smile on my face right now.

Big hugs to all