Notices

candy

Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

candy

Hey, this isn't really a post about anything more then something I'm curious about. I have heard about alcoholism being linked to sugar addiction, or that it is basically the same thing. When you were a kid did you have a tendency to eat a lot of sugar. I can remember almost using it like alcohol at a very early age. It would be Friday, and all I could think about was staying the night at my friends and eating candy until we passed out, and I also remember people being amazed at how much candy I could eat for being such a small person also. I remember it used to make me feel really good,like almost give me a high feeling. HAHA Luckily I was in sports or I probably would have had a weight problem. Anyways...I just found that to be interesting. I am curious to know if other alcoholics did something similar.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've heard of people who quit drinking having cravings for sugar, but never heard it the other way around.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i'm still a sugar addict. I work out somedays for hours just so i can binge on sugar product. LOL

I ran 4 miles this morning so i could eat a half a gallon of peanut butter ice cream for lunch.
dinner is gonna be a couple of Sierra Mist sodas and some big cup Reeces peanut butter cups chased down with some MC Donalds Big &Tasty burgers.

then i'll run 2 more miles before bed.

i do that about once a week.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BD you are hard core! I have been known to do 1.5 hours on the spin bike and 1 hour on the elliptical for chocolate covered peanuts. I didn't think anyone had as big a sweet tooth as me.

I'll do the same thing for bread. I eat salad all other times.

Toward the end of my drinking career I rarely ate anything. A 5'11" woman, I weighed 125lbs.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow pongo, I am also a 5'11" woman, and that is very very thin. Since I am very early on in recovery I am avoiding processed sugar and well...most things processed. But I go through fruit like there is no tomorrow, I can't help myself But yeah...used to eat ice cream a lot, not just a bowl, the whole thing!lol Also skittles and pixie sticks are like heaven to me.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I was a stick. I just don't have the metabolism today that I had back then. I think of all the many calories in alcohol and what that would do to me if I tried to drink today!! I watch every calorie and I'm about 160, all muscle.

BAH ha ha ha ha!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WOW!! We might be on to something; height (I am 6'4") and ice cream are precursors to alcohol!!!

Seriously, I lost my sugar craving somehow but I did become a fitness freak also (I weigh 210 pounds.)

Dave
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've always loved sugar!! and it funny you should mention it, because I was thinking the other day how much I enjoy candy..just like i did when i was a kid!!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is quite interesting to me; I have always heard that alcoholism and addiciton are often genetic. My dad had problems with alcohol when he was younger, my sister is a heroin addict, and I'm actually about 130 pounds overweight, mainly because of my obsession with food. I've always considered food to be my "drug of choice..." maybe there's more to that then I thought.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Yup, same for me. Sugar was my first love and nothing's changed in my 41 years. They just don't make enough cookies, brownies, ice cream, candy bars, etc to satisfy me. Anymore I just don't buy the stuff because, like booze, I know what's going to happen once I open the bag, carton, box. They're alllllllll disappearing.

I know one girl in AA who "claims" that she was never big on sweets. She's got about a year and a half sober now and somewhere around the 1yr mark, the sugar-beast woke up inside of her too - lol.

Come to think of it, I don't think I know ANYONE in AA who's not a big sugar-fiend.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pongo View Post
BD you are hard core! I have been known to do 1.5 hours on the spin bike and 1 hour on the elliptical for chocolate covered peanuts. I didn't think anyone had as big a sweet tooth as me.

I'll do the same thing for bread. I eat salad all other times.

Toward the end of my drinking career I rarely ate anything. A 5'11" woman, I weighed 125lbs.
I'm 6'5 and weigh about 265. i'm pretty athletic. i did mixed martial arts and bodybuilding for 15 years before i broke my back.

About the only thing i did do right during my drinking days was really rehab the crap out of my back after my accident so i could workout again. i'll never be able to teach MMA or really fight in competition again, but i love my treadmill and boflex.

i really do need to watch the sugar intake though. although i'm hypoglycemic right now, diabetes runs rampant in my family.

be well,

BD
Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know a friend of mine who has quit drinking for years, and he never touched a chocolate bar, or anything and now he HAS to have cake every night!! I guess our bodies crave that sugar that we got from our booze?!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My ex-husband's grandmother, don't know if she was ever a boozer, ate an enormous piece of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting every night from age 95-104 when she died. She was a toothpick.

Go figure.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I gave up refined sugar (it's really a processed chemical) ..and the w/d's didn't just disappear in a few days. I know what ya mean about craving the sugar from fruit !

Folks joke around about being a sugar junkie, ...it's not really a joke though.

Read " Sugar Blues" ...great read for anyone wondering if sugar may not be "healthy"

It addresses the relatively "new" introduction of sugar (beets or cane) being used to speed up alcohol fermentation. The English began to pass strict laws against using sugar to accelerate beer fermentation. It was considered "adulterated " spirits back then. All, of course, profit motivated. I think the molecular formula for straight sucrose is; C12 H22 O11

One of the best things for my recovery, ....100% abstinance. Controlled sweets for a junkie like me, well; ....that never worked with the booze for decades.

One thing for sure, never have to worry about not eating enough fresh fruit ! LO

Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KetchupSurfer View Post
Obviously I can't remember,but there is footage lying around somewhere up in the attic: Flash to my very first birthday party - I'm sitting in my booster chair, being a kid, kind of just generally fumbling around looking at the strange people that were my relatives.... But for some reason I am TERRIFIED of the chocolate cake in front of me. I start crying furiously, waving my arms all around. My relatives were getting peeved! so my pa made a knee-jerk reaction:

One dab of frosting on my tongue was all it took... I had not only stopped crying, but was bouncing in my chair! It turned it into an ongoing joke in my family after that when we'd go to a restaurant - I'd be the only one getting desert, and it was EVERY TIME - And to this day I LOVE sugar.
It was a joke in my family too! And with my friends...lol When I started drinking it kind of went away though, and now it is back, i'm scared
Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
I gave up refined sugar (it's really a processed chemical) ..and the w/d's didn't just disappear in a few days. I know what ya mean about craving the sugar from fruit !

Folks joke around about being a sugar junkie, ...it's not really a joke though.

Read " Sugar Blues" ...great read for anyone wondering if sugar may not be "healthy"

It addresses the relatively "new" introduction of sugar (beets or cane) being used to speed up alcohol fermentation. The English began to pass strict laws against using sugar to accelerate beer fermentation. It was considered "adulterated " spirits back then. All, of course, profit motivated. I think the molecular formula for straight sucrose is; C12 H22 O11

One of the best things for my recovery, ....100% abstinance. Controlled sweets for a junkie like me, well; ....that never worked with the booze for decades.

One thing for sure, never have to worry about not eating enough fresh fruit ! LO

I am definitely going to read that. I had no idea sugar was used to speed up the process, I just know our bodies metabolize alcohol like sugar, and if you're hypoglycemic you should not touch the stuff. Alcoholism can also cause hypoglycemia and blah blah blah. It is hard to know what it truth and what is not though, there is so much information out there, it is exhausting. All I know is right now I am off sugar and alcohol and it feels wonderful!