Notices

Has anyone experienced this.......

Old 07-12-2010, 12:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Question Has anyone experienced this.......

I have known my AH since teenage years, he was a very heaver drinker, in his 20's. could someone in this state forget incidents tht are extrememly damaging to himself? Could he block something out of his memory? in his d 's he became sober and was saved. This incident is now rearing its ugly head 15 years later, i was around, yet I or him have no recollection of this, i have never drunk. How does one deal with this?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

If he has any resentment or self regression. AA's 12steps may be suitable for him to soothe them. Counseling also may good for him.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I understand your question.
Are you saying you never drank, and also blocked out something he did. And you don't remember it either?
Fred
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sorry, no i am saying something happened in AH early days, but he has no recollection of it at all. he was drinking then. But at the time of this incident we were living together, i was of sober mind, yet i do not even recall this, it is a very traumatic incident for my AH, so i was wondering, could he have blocked it? i understand maybe i wasnt around all he time, that why i cant recall, but surely one could pick up on extra stress, or bad vibes if this did happen? all i want to know is if you drink over excessively can you forget things you have done?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Blackouts are common among heavy drinkers. It's very possible that something could have happened that he cannot remember.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Suki, thanks for that, i did think of that but he was not blackout, he was very definately awake. What i was thinking is maybe if u drink too much, you have memory relapse and cant remember what you did the day before? could this have been the case?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

if you drink over excessively can you forget things you have done?
Absolutely....a mental blackout means you have never added
the happening/event into your brain.

People in blackouts are awake....it's nothing you can notice
at the time......it's all about your brain.

I was a blackout alcoholic for years. Very disturbing.
They stopped as soon as I quit drinking....

Glad he quit drinking....Blessings to both of you
Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Blackout does not mean the person is asleep. It means they are awake and doing things, they just have absolutely no memory of them once they sober up. They have drank to the point where a portion of their brain blocks things out. I used to call people or email people while drinking and have no memory of it the next day.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

From "Under The Influence" by milam & Ketcham

The middle-stage alcoholic has probably been having blackouts from time to time. Blackouts are a very distinctive feature of alcoholism, and one symptom that clearly distinguishes alcoholics from non-alcoholics. The events which occur during an alcoholic blackout are not forgotten; they are simply not stored or are imperfectly stored in the brain. There is nothing there to be recalled later.

During a blackout, the alcoholic may be functioning normally and aware of everything that is happening around him. He continues to talk, walk, eat, drive a car, conduct a business deal, or make love to his wife. Yet on sobering up, he has no memory trace of what occurred during a certain time period -- it could be a minute, an hour, or even several days. In the early stages of the disease, blackouts are relatively infrequent, but as the disease progresses, they occur more often and last for longer periods of time.

Jack attended a series of weekend meetings held in a city 90 miles from his home. The last meeting ended in midafternoon, and Jack retired to the bar with several friends. It was happy hour, and the bartender announced a special on martinis: six ounces of gin for just $2.00. Jack drank four specials and then decided to order dinner before he drove home. With dinner, he drank a bottle of wine. It was late when he started driving, but he remembered watching the moon rise over the low hills. The next thing he knew and could later recall, he was travelling 110 mph and was 25 miles past his exit. He had driven 100 miles in a blackout.

It is not difficult to imagine how frightening blackouts can be. The alcoholic may wake up in the morning with no recall of the events of the previous evening. He gets out of bed, afraid to inspect his clothes -- did he get sick? Then the question occurs to him: "How did I get home?" He looks out the window, fearful that the car will be missing. He does not remember driving home.

The car is there, and he has another, even more frightening thought: "Did I hit something or someone?" He runs outside and looks at the front end. He searches the seats for clues to help him piece the lost time back together. Humiliating thoughts race through his mind: "Did I disgrace myself? Will my friends talk to me? How can I find out what happened when I am too embarrassed to admit that I don't remember?"

Blackouts can be so frightening that they make the alcoholic question his sanity. For the first time he may realize that he is in deep trouble with alcohol. Despite his increasing problems, however, the middle-stage alcoholic rarely considers giving up drinking...
When my AA friend was approached by a woman
he did remember ....she said he was the father of
her 2 year old.

The only way it was settled was with a DNA test.
He was.....and now takes legal responsibilty
He enjoys being a Dad...
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

Maybe it didn't happen. I lied a LOT when I was active in my addictions.

However, yeah.. if he blacks out, I'm sure there's a lot of stuff, good and bad that he doesn't remember. I remember very little, from the many years I was f'd up.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My AH also lied a lot to cover himself. Not so much in the early days but this last recent relapse. Thanks that was enlightning, so how does one move forward, are there steps to take? or does he have to live with this i could have or i couldnt have syndrome?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That "did I or didn't I" issue goes away when a person stops drinking.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Maybe it didn't happen. I lied a LOT when I was active in my addictions.
Thats exactly what I went through. It took a while to sort out all the garbage I have been feeding myself and others for over 3 decades.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello< I was in your beautiful country a couple of years ago, Capetown, Joberg, etc.

At the end of the day, it was in the past. The question almost sounds more like can you get past it?

As you know, alcoholics are masters at deception so it may be hard to ever know the true answer.

Dave
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Without knowing what the "something" he is supposed to have done 15 years ago, it's hard to know whether it's a big deal or not. If he is being accused of fathering a child, a simple blood test would confirm whether or not that happened. If he is being accused of committing some crime, it seems like something would have surfaced before now. Why is it such a big deal 15 years later?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There are many things that I have said and done throughout the years that I would like to forget, but when I am drinking heavily I don't remember many many things. Although I have blacked out for whole nights, I also have forgotten signifigant moments in time. I will remember when I got to point A, saw Joe Blow, blur blur blur, got in the car, blur blur, stopped at 7/11 got a six pack, blur blur blur, wake up to find out I punched Joe in the head, and his wife wasn't happy about it so she called my wife. Hell, I can't remember anything that happened in 1993, I call it the lost year. So yes it is true that your AH could have forgotten a major event, but he also may be trying to save face for something that he is not proud of.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes it is a major catastrophic event, where this other person has kept quiet all these years, didnt want to rock the boat, so, please why now? nothing makes sense to me....this person and i have been very close, never uttered a word to me or even hinted at this and person said i was there but not in the vacinity. it is mind blowing stuff, i am devastated, how do i move on? He is denying it all says he has no recollection, then, i am saying i have thought back and i also have no recollection? i just dont get, how one can forget such a traumatising incident, but 11 years ago, he did sober up and he did change. Then now unfortunately i have had the shock of my life, when he started drinking again (relapsed 3 yrs ago) it seems like he has become that same person 20 years ago, i have invested 28 years of my life to this person have 2 kids, im so so heartbroken! but in the same breath lets backtrack a bit, this person is having issues (i believe this person to be a n extreme codie) & my H was trying to help, the very next day this person dropped the bomb on me? could this be a protection of self?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would ask this person if your AH was drunk. If this person says "no", or they couldn't tell, then I would lose the blackout/loss of memory excuse. Because at least for me to not remember something catastrophic, I would normally be visibly impaired. Then it would come down to whether this person is making it up, or your AH is lying and using alcohol as an excuse. Just my opinion of course....
Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes he was drunk, very heavy drinker, basically, he was drunk everyday then, but handled it better than now i suppose. I just don't know which one is manipulating the situation, but it is a very serious allegation to make to someone and the someone cant remember, time after time? very difficult position im in.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Are you threatened about the things that your AH have done during drink? Otherwise you should stay a bit of behind and take time to calm it down. Live today and do not think about yesterday and tomorrow. It is the way that we alkies and coddie should take.