Notices

I just stopped drinking

Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome! There's lots of ways to get sober, and stay that way. Personally I couldn't do it on my own..I'm not qualified to. I was pretty good at pouring drinks down my throat to deal with life's tragedies and triumphs..obviously not so good at doing much else abou them, so I had to learn new ways of living my life, not just change my beverage of choice.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

JF, I don't know what to say about the short-term memory, and this is where a doctor would have to be involved. I think some people complain about that happening to them because of their drinking.

I didn't quit "because of" this, but one of the things that helped me with my problem was thinking of myself as a drug addict. We look at illegal drugs as what the REAL substance issue people use. There's something more dangerous associated with them because of our exposure to TV and what the law says. Meanwhile, you can have people that have used different kinds of substances say that alcohol was their most fearsome drug. The fact that it is legal isn't the deal maker for every person in that society, because not every person handles the substance in the same way (why we're talking).

Eliminating drinking doesn't provide a guaranteed solution to the job situation of course, but it can help with other things that count, everywhere from finances, health and looking presentable, self-esteem. All depends on the person. For some people there is a jolt of confidence after a couple of weeks of sobriety, followed by a drop to depression again, and that's where you have to keep going, so that you don't give in to the cycle.