Notices

Negative Imagery vs Cravings

Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Negative Imagery vs Cravings

Do you use negative images whenever you get a craving?

Mine is the Komodo Dragon. Every time a beer add comes on TV or I think about drinking alcohol, the image of a Komodo Dragon snaps into my mind shortly after.

Why the Komodo Dragon? Because it perfectly represents, to me, what addiction is. A nine foot long, 350 pound Komodo can kill animals many times its size because it has over fifty species of virulent bacteria in its mouth. The prey gets blood poisoning, and the smell of impending death attracts more Komodo's. The prey gets eaten alive when it becomes too weak to flee or fight back.

I know that if I have one single drink, like a Komodo Dragon's bite, it will start the long, pathetic, painful descent into a premature, ugly death.

What's yours?

Murray
Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been using the image of me trying to sit still and watch my son's little league all-star game with a bunch of other parents while I am having trouble breathing and a case of the shakes so bad because of my withdrawal that I thought I was either having a heart attack or a stroke. I'm trying to act normal and watch my kid, and I can't sit still and show my support, and I'm scared that I'm going to pass out in front of everyone and embarrass my kid on his big day.

It might not seem like much, but it makes me feel sick everytime I think about it...and it makes me feel even worse being that it was only 12 days ago. That image it tattooed on my brain, and I hope it stays there forever.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(------------------ Thats my last mugshot. Hows that for negative imagery?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
I have been using the image of me trying to sit still and watch my son's little league all-star game with a bunch of other parents while I am having trouble breathing and a case of the shakes so bad because of my withdrawal that I thought I was either having a heart attack or a stroke. I'm trying to act normal and watch my kid, and I can't sit still and show my support, and I'm scared that I'm going to pass out in front of everyone and embarrass my kid on his big day.

It might not seem like much, but it makes me feel sick everytime I think about it...and it makes me feel even worse being that it was only 12 days ago. That image it tattooed on my brain, and I hope it stays there forever.
YIKES!

That's a strong one!!

On the positive imagery side, it showed two things to me...you love your son very, very much, and you want to stop drinking so bad that you didn't use the game as an excuse to have some booze.

Give yourself a bunch of pats on the back!!!!!!!

Murray
Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
YIKES!

That's a strong one!!

On the positive imagery side, it showed two things to me...you love your son very, very much, and you want to stop drinking so bad that you didn't use the game as an excuse to have some booze.

Give yourself a bunch of pats on the back!!!!!!!

Murray
Truth be told, I had already had 8 drinks that morning after a 3 day bender, starting with his game 3 nights before. I had decided that morning that I was quitting the following day, and I had not medicated enough to get through the game without the withdrawal/hangover symptoms. So yes I love my son, and yes I have quit drinking, but I was at the point that I didn't need an excuse to drink....I needed an excuse not to.

It's funny, because every bad thing that has ever happened to me throughout my life has been due to me drinking. Fights, jail, kicked off the team, kicked out of school, lost friendships, wrecked cars, infidelity, poor job performance, getting my teeth knocked out, pure stupidity, yet the strongest image was the fact that I felt like I was letting my son down. For some reason that image makes me cringe more than anything else....even my own mugshot.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...than never

I remember that ugly liquor store that I was enslaved to before about 11 weeks ago. The memory is starting to blur a little, but I can still picture every inch of that place that I grew to loathe so much. Whenever I feel like drinking, I realize that it probably wouldn't be long 'til I'm back to being their trained monkey. That keeps me from drinking.