Notices

Have i lost track of sobriety

Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have i lost track of sobriety

I have never used anything like this before, and am confused no end as to what am supposed to do. I stopped drinking 10 months ago but had 4 beers a few days ago, and i thought that would be it but I have had a few more relapses but only drank half a bottle of wine then oured the rest away, ive been doing this for the past couple of nights, i just cant bear the thought of starting all over again and going back to square one, sometimes i think maybe i am not alcoholic because i poured some away... please advise me
Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, mairead. You will find lots of support here. Hope you stick around and read what others have done.

What does starting over at square one mean to you? Starting over simply means not drinking today. You haven't lost your 10 months of sobriety; they are still there. Just make the decision to not drink today. Repeat that tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Mairead

Your words ring many bells with me, have been in that place many times, quit for a while and then going back because a sneaky voice inside me was telling me that maybe I was not that bad, maybe it was just a bad habit that I got into and that I could control my drinking if I just put my mind to it. Needless to say it usually did not take me a long time to be back where I started, an out of control alcoholic. I may not be the best to give advice, after one of endless relapses I am on day 4 now, a journey not to be without alcohol but rather to be free of alcohol. If you have been in the position where you felt that you needed to stop drinking then most likely you had a problem to begin with, dont let that sneaky voice take a away your achievement of 10 months from you...

Good luck and lets join the Class of July 2010 and make this journey together, this community here is incredibly supportive and has helped me before, I was not able to resist that voice after a couple of months but this community helps to remind us that it is possible and that a life of freedom is so worth it.

Good luck
Old 07-04-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello.....

Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic or not.
But.....if your drinking is causeing you any problems
then it's best to quit before it get worse.

Good to see a new member
Old 07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yah I've been there many times as well. You just gotta pick your self back off the ground.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome mairead! I went back to drinking a couple times after being sober for a while. At first I thought it was working - I could drinking moderately, even turn down that 3rd drink. But within months, I was progressing again. I now know it wasn't a fluke that I thought I had a problem.

You'll find a lot of support here (and stories that are just like yours). I hope you can sort things out - we're here for you!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mairead View Post
sometimes i think maybe i am not alcoholic because i poured some away... please advise me

I don't think that has a lot to do with whether you're an alcoholic.
Personally, I poured away alcohol many many times.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't pour out booze. Why would they?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keith said it all!

And that voice in the back of your head telling you that you're not really an alcoholic?

I like to call that dude 'Mac Daddy'..

He's a thief, a liar, a manipulator, and a murderer in some cases...

Don't let him have his way with you.. all of us as alkies have to fight him from time to time.. It helps me to consider him a real being- and kick his as$ when he comes around!

Good luck in your recovery.